Coaching Carousel Updates

DCOrange

3 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

I am going on record to say that Urban Meyer will fail miserably in Jacksonville and I can't wait to watch.  He is an arrogant college coach with no NFL experience. He will not be able to relate to todays NFL player and the results will be very entertaining.  

• Like (+1) 2

12 minutes ago, buffaloboyinATL said:

I am going on record to say that Urban Meyer will fail miserably in Jacksonville and I can't wait to watch.  He is an arrogant college coach with no NFL experience. He will not be able to relate to todays NFL player and the results will be very entertaining.  

Kind of like Saban :thumbsup:

• Agree 1

Yesterday I was watching NFL Live on ESPN and Dan Orlovsky was singing the praises of Brian Daboll and talking about what what a good game he called against the Colts.  Someone else said "he is going to be an NFL Head Coach" and Orlovsky responded with, "he is going to be an NFL Head Coach on the west coast.  He had a little smirk on his face as though he clearly had inside knowledge.  I am hoping he is wrong, but he appears to believe Daboll will be heading to the Chargers.  

1 minute ago, buffaloboyinATL said:

Yesterday I was watching NFL Live on ESPN and Dan Orlovsky was singing the praises of Brian Daboll and talking about what what a good game he called against the Colts.  Someone else said "he is going to be an NFL Head Coach" and Orlovsky responded with, "he is going to be an NFL Head Coach on the west coast.  He had a little smirk on his face as though he clearly had inside knowledge.  I am hoping he is wrong, but he appears to believe Daboll will be heading to the Chargers.  

Maybe it was gas?  They always told me that's why babies appear to smile.

• Haha (+1) 1

25 minutes ago, boco357 said:

I dont get the Meyer hiring either.  First off guy has health issues and secondly when does a college coach actually work?  Jimmy Johnson is probably the only one.

Matt rhule and Pete Carroll come to mind as college coaches that worked and to a lesser extent Doug Marrone got to an AFC Title Game. there's also kliff Kingsbury. With more college concepts coming into the NFL, there's reason to believe that the Urban Meyer hire can actually work. Meyer has a history of building programs, that's what Jacksonville needs to do, and there's a bare cupboard with no expectations and a really great quarterback prospect coming. I think Meijer is a good hire that makes sense and got one of the better jobs.

Chicago having to announce that their coach in GM are coming back is normal for really big market teams. The Giants did the same thing when they announced that gettleman was going to come back. Maggie is one about 60% of his games and has two playoff appearances in the last 3 years with a quarterback who can't play. 

• Agree 1

39 minutes ago, Ridgewaycynic2013 said:

Yolo, would Farmer be upon Meyer's advice or urging to Khan?  Or is Meyer strictly entrusted with assembling his coaching staff?

I think Balke is going to do a lot of the cap stuff and Farmer would run the scouting side. I don’t know what the connection is with urban so not sure who is pulling that trigger. I think urban will definitely have control over the coaching staff 

1 hour ago, boco357 said:

I dont get the Meyer hiring either.  First off guy has health issues 

Honest Urb's health issues only flare up when he hears the word "investigation".     Pete Carroll had an aversion to that word too........in the NFL as a HC you aren't liable for what your players or coaches do so Urb shouldn't be passing out on the sideline in Jacksonville.    Unless, of course,  he starts losing and needs an excuse to get out and still get all of his money. :beer:

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 3

There were 7 GM openings going into this off-season. 

3 have now been filled. 

DET - Holmes

HOU - Caserio

DEN- Paton

ATL- Looks like Rick Smith it Fontenot 

CAR- Has 4 finalists

JAX- Ray Farmer is the rumor? 

WSH - Team without a strong connection yet. 

Seems more and more likely we keep the band together in the front office. 

HC wise there are 7 openings as well.

JAX is the first shoe to drop. 

It looks like Daboll will either go to LAC or stay... would be huge if we could stick around and win a Super Bowl and keep Daboll for another season. For some reason teams seem to be coveting other HC, maybe Daboll isn’t that hot of a candidate OR they know he’s LAC bound. 

1 hour ago, buffaloboyinATL said:

It’s the best job and he’s the best candidate.  I’d be shocked if the chargers chose someone other than Daboll.  The only question is, will Daboll choose the chargers over the Bills?

12 minutes ago, NewEra said:

It’s the best job and he’s the best candidate.  I’d be shocked if the chargers chose someone other than Daboll.  The only question is, will Daboll choose the chargers over the Bills?

I don’t think it’s obvious he’s the best candidate for LAC ...regardless of whether it is or isn’t the “best job”... depends on what they are looking for. Eberflus is a dark horse but my bet is they hire Arthur smith.

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

I don’t think it’s obvious he’s the best candidate for LAC ...regardless of whether it is or isn’t the “best job”... depends on what they are looking for. Eberflus is a dark horse but my bet is they hire Arthur smith.

I hope you’re right

28 minutes ago, NewEra said:

If I was Daboll I would think long and hard about being in the same division as Mahomes/Reid. You might be coming into a good situation but that's going to be one hell of a hill to climb every year to make the playoffs.

29 minutes ago, NewEra said:

I thought it was a lock that he and GM Tom Telesco would end up together.    Went to HS together at St. Francis......interned together with Polian.    But when Dean Spanos got involved all bets off.   He might not trust Telesco.   Not many organizations wouldn't trust the GM after they drafted a QB that had the best statistical season by a rookie QB ever.........but an organization that has had Brees, Rivers and now Herbert in succession might take for granted the QB position just a bit.   I'd rather they kept Daboll for another season at least but if he goes maybe they fix the running game and become even better.