Coaching Carousel Updates

DCOrange

I get the idea of having a separate thread for the Jets since they're a division rival, but figured we could maybe just have one thread to discuss the other job openings around the league?

Some updates this morning:

• Chicago Bears announced they're bringing Matt Nagy and Ryan Pace back for another season.
  • Philadelphia Eagles will be interviewing former Patriots LB and current LB Coach Jerod Mayo for their HC opening. So far, the candidates that we know Philly is pursuing are Mayo, Saleh (though it sounds like he's likely headed to the Jets), Todd Bowles, Arthur Smith, and Lincoln Riley.
  • As of last night, there was a "growing sense" that Urban Meyer would accept the Jaguars coaching job, but this morning, it was reported that the Chargers are continuing to look into Meyer for themselves.
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 3

Bears announce they are retaining Nagy for another 8-10 games. 

Some of these teams are just delaying the inevitable, although if I was an Eagles an I would be depressed at that list of names. 

Also, just in general, there doesn't seem to be a lot of great choices out there.

Saleh, Bienemy, Daboll. 

Other than that, lots of "meh" choices, or just plain depressing ones. Glad we are where we are!

• Like (+1) 4

22 minutes ago, TheFunPolice said:

Some of these teams are just delaying the inevitable, although if I was an Eagles an I would be depressed at that list of names. 

Also, just in general, there doesn't seem to be a lot of great choices out there.

Saleh, Bienemy, Daboll. 

Other than that, lots of "meh" choices, or just plain depressing ones. Glad we are where we are!

Would the eagles consider roman?  Or are they set on trying to lure a college coach like Riley?

7 minutes ago, NoHuddleKelly12 said:

Anything else on Pederson yet? Am curious if he will be forced to drop down to coordinator for a season or just jump straight to the next HC gig like Rex Ryan did?

I saw a report this morning from ESPN that he might end up taking the year off

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Buffalo Boy said:

Wish I could get fired from my job and afford to take a year off🙋

These guys get paid unless its a contract year.  Its their security blanket up front.  Usually 4-5 years.  Rex had 5 years and got paid.  Salary is in the $5-6 million range.  So, Pederson has no problem taking a year off and getting paid.  I would do the same btw.

• Like (+1) 1

I think this makes sense - a separate thread for Jets, one for Daboll, one for Frazier, and then one for the rest of the openings 

As a note on urban. I’m 99.9% sure that report today is agent driven and while the two sides may have talked, I believe it was his side that initiated the conversation and that because the chargers are focused elsewhere, Urban’s agent is using this as leverage in negotiations with the jags. 

I do not think the chargers have real interest in urban. Fwiw. 

• Agree 3
  • Thank you (+1) 2

6 hours ago, TheFunPolice said:

Saleh, Bienemy, Daboll. 

The interesting point to me is that we aren't hearing a lot about Bienemy and Daboll

4 hours ago, DCOrange said:

I saw a report this morning from ESPN that he might end up taking the year off

Other head coaches who have succeeded on Take 2 have indicated that the best choice they made was to take a year off, self-evaluate, and regroup.

6 hours ago, TheFunPolice said:

Saleh, Bienemy, Daboll. 

Nagy has a winning record without a real QB 

44 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Other head coaches who have succeeded on Take 2 have indicated that the best choice they made was to take a year off, self-evaluate, and regroup.

Some of these coaches go back to college football for a year or two while on NFL payroll.  This gives them first hand knowledge of current college football techniques.

2 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

I think this makes sense - a separate thread for Jets, one for Daboll, one for Frazier, and then one for the rest of the openings 

As a note on urban. I’m 99.9% sure that report today is agent driven and while the two sides may have talked, I believe it was his side that initiated the conversation and that because the chargers are focused elsewhere, Urban’s agent is using this as leverage in negotiations with the jags. 

I do not think the chargers have real interest in urban. Fwiw. 

You must be worried sick about Urban's health. 😨

• Haha (+1) 1

6 hours ago, bigK14094 said:

These guys get paid unless its a contract year.  Its their security blanket up front.  Usually 4-5 years.  Rex had 5 years and got paid.  Salary is in the $5-6 million range.  So, Pederson has no problem taking a year off and getting paid.  I would do the same btw.

and do TV and make money off TV.     That is  what they mean "taking a year off"

4 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

The interesting point to me is that we aren't hearing a lot about Bienemy and Daboll

I heard in a podcast Bienemy is a really bad interview and his past issues may be coming into play. (Apparently some kind of sexual misconduct). 

1 hour ago, NobesBLO13 said:

I heard in a podcast Bienemy is a really bad interview and his past issues may be coming into play. (Apparently some kind of sexual misconduct). 

Woahboy.  This stuff I assume you mean.  I had no idea.

On the one hand, it's all actions 18 years ago.  I believe that people grow and change and should be allowed a chance to put mistakes behind them

On the other hand, NFL teams can find HC candidates who look qualified, and who DON'T have all that in their past. 

Bieniemy is 51 years old now.  He was 30-33 when the more recent of these events took place, not a kid.