Anonymous Dolphins players: not sold on Tua

I think this is more of a discussion comparing Flores to McDermott than it is comparing Allen to Tua.

Tua was a bad pick.  Having Fitz start the season, to me, was a smart move.  Pulling him when they did was nothing short of stupid; especially when it quickly became abundantly clear that Tua wasn't anywhere close to being ready.

That move, in addition to players anonymously speaking to the media about it (and criticizing it), tells me more about Flores' grasp on this team (lack there of) than anything else.

McDermott and Beane screwed the pooch re: handling the QB position in Josh's rookie year.  Beane quickly owned the mistake, put it behind him and clearly learned from it.

I don't see the Dolphins doing that.

Good.

• Like (+1) 2

7 minutes ago, benderbender said:

Hate to say it, but the Dolphins have handled the Tua situation perfectly:

• They didn't start Tua in the majority of games so they can claim plausible deniability with his projected ceiling
  • They obviously came to the conclusion about how good he was when they listed him as "injured" instead of starting Fitz due to performance
  • Fitz was in on the scam because he never bitched and moaned on social media before much less cried in interviews

The final result is Miami can now trade Tua for a more valuable commodity with minimal compensation because they can be "talked into" moving off of Tua. It was their plan all along. Tip of the cap. 

You are giving them way too much credit. Maybe you were being sarcastic, but this is implausible. 

Maybe it works out that way but only if they are lucky. 

• Agree 2

7 minutes ago, teef said:

very true.  it was a "rookie" mistake with that comment.

This comment didn’t bother me as much as some when you consider that many consider Tua as a humble, hardworking player.  If it was someone prone to bragging or arrogance it’s a different story.  

It always seemed like a poor choice of words 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Gugny said:

I think this is more of a discussion comparing Flores to McDermott than it is comparing Allen to Tua.

Tua was a bad pick.  Having Fitz start the season, to me, was a smart move.  Pulling him when they did was nothing short of stupid; especially when it quickly became abundantly clear that Tua wasn't anywhere close to being ready.

That move, in addition to players anonymously speaking to the media about it (and criticizing it), tells me more about Flores' grasp on this team (lack there of) than anything else.

McDermott and Beane screwed the pooch re: handling the QB position in Josh's rookie year.  Beane quickly owned the mistake, put it behind him and clearly learned from it.

I don't see the Dolphins doing that.

Good.

The ironic thing is, they actually have a chance to draft another top QB against this year.  It would be a bold move that they probably won’t make

• Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, JohnNord said:

The ironic thing is, they actually have a chance to draft another top QB against this year.  It would be a bold move that they probably won’t make

Based on Grier’s comments, they’re definitely not drafting another QB

1 hour ago, Doc said:

Not surprising.  But I wonder if anyone had the same thoughts about Josh after his first season?

Fans and media, sure -- we saw that play out on this board.

Players?  I doubt it.  Josh had a ton of "splash" plays in his rookie year and you could see the potential as well as the hard work -- it was obvious even then his teammates loved and respected him.  Where were Tua's "wow" moments this season?

• Agree 2

It should be illegal to post any story featuring “anonymous sources” 

Not just sports. In all aspects of reporting there needs to be accountability. 
Doesn’t matter your religion, race, political beliefs, virtually all news in at least the United States needs a revamp and some accountability measures put in.

Did dolphin players actually say that? Or is the reporter feeling that and needed clicks? This stuff shouldn’t be allowed. People have something to say you need to put your name to it. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

41 minutes ago, JohnNord said:

Not a comparable situation.  Tua, along with Joe Burrow, was considered to ready to start - perhaps the most pro ready.   Justin Herbert was considered more of a project QB that would need time to grow.  

Allen was thought of to be a low-floor/high ceiling type of project QB.  Tua was never considered a QB project as was thought of to have the highest ceiling of any QB but maybe the lowest floor.  

Most rookie QB’s have up and down years, but the good one show some flashes of greatness from time to time (Herbert, Burrow, Baker, Lamar, Josh, Murray).  We’ve seen a few solid games from Tua but no where near on the level of the other top QB’s over the past two year.  Miami won on their defense and special teams - and not with QB play.  

I don’t buy the narrative that Chan didn’t trust him.  I just think he’s pretty limited with what he can do right now and he called plays accordingly.  

I do think Tua can get better but IMO I see him as more of game manager than a franchise QB.  You can win with a game manager, but as we know, there is a ceiling with how high you can go.  

Allen was thrust into the role based on poor performance of the QBs in front of him on the depth chart.  While his numbers weren't great - he flashed for sure.

I think you can find game managers without using a top pick.  

2 minutes ago, eball said:

Fans and media, sure -- we saw that play out on this board.

Players?  I doubt it.  Josh had a ton of "splash" plays in his rookie year and you could see the potential as well as the hard work -- it was obvious even then his teammates loved and respected him.  Where were Tua's "wow" moments this season?

Everyone wants the guy who can beat 2 rushers, roll to the sideline, and hit a guy 35 yards downfield at the sideline. Tua isn't that guy so far.

55 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

I'm not surprised by this at all.  Guy was trikes me as smart, which is valuable, and accurate, also valuable.  Beyond that, I couldn't get too excited about him.  

Not at all a good sign that guys on the team don't see enough promise to keep their mouths shut. 

You should make a thread about how Tua is done. LOL

• Haha (+1) 2

29 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

He's accurate, has a quick release and is pretty poised even when things are going badly.... maybe less so in the Bills game but in other games he hasn't got rattled. And I agree it is crazy to want to close the book on him. 

But the concern about a lack of elite traits is absolutely justified based on what we have seen at this stage.

The other factor in this Dolphins leak is that Fitz is always a beloved teammate. It was the reason Buddy Nix felt the Bills couldn't keep him here behind a rookie in 2013 because the players in the locker room wouldn't throw their weight behind the kid (even if he had been good) while Fitz was around. Same happened in Tampa where Fitz split the locker room, not intentionally, just by being a great guy who teammates naturally gravitate towards. 

If, as they claim, the Dolphins are truly all in on Tua that doesn't just require a scheme tweak, and some more pieces around him that suit his style of play but it also requires them to let Fitz walk. Otherwise there will always be "Fitz guys" in that locker room. Hell the likes if Fred Jackson and Eric Wood are still Fitz guys now.... 8 years after they stopped playing with him. 

My bet is that Fitz ends up on the Patriots.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Doc said:

Not surprising.  But I wonder if anyone had the same thoughts about Josh after his first season?

I feel a big difference between the two, Allen was made the starting QB his rookie year as he was their best option.  Maybe not a very good option, but still their best.

In Miami, they took a team with a winning record and a QB playing very well and from what you hear really liked by his teammates and benched him in favor of a rookie. Then even after two times Fitz having to come back into games to bail out the rookie, they went back to him the following week and not get any better play out of him either.  Got to believe that would have upset many others on the team.

Maybe the issue in Miami isn't so much being upset with Tua as much as being upset with managements decision. 

1 hour ago, PromoTheRobot said:

It's also surprising that a rookie QB says the NFL is "easier than expected" after one game where he wasn't that good and got carried by the rest of the team. That quote struck me when I read it.

Same here. Tua needs more time but I hated that quote and the universe seemed to note it as well. It got a lot harder for him lol.

3 minutes ago, JohnNord said:

I don’t think they will but Arizona also publicly supported Josh Rosen when the rumor was they would take Murray. 

But I don’t think they ever announced that Rosen was their starting QB for the next season.  That’s the whole reason for this article.