Anonymous Dolphins players: not sold on Tua

It’s super unusual for there to be a lot of chatter from within the organization primarily players criticizing the potential franchise rookie high end first round QB.

Part of it obviously is on Tua for not demonstrating that he’s the man but also on Flores.   If Flores had not benched Tua I don’t think you’d be hearing all these anonymous quotes.  He emasculated him by taking him out for Fitz in order to win the game.  I don’t think Flores realizes the psychological impact not just for Tua but for his teammates.

5 hours ago, syhuang said:

Tua was named the starter well before Fitz got covid mid-week then. It's one thing Fitz got covid so Tua had to be named the starter, it's another thing that Tua was named starter when both Fitz and him were options (before Fitz had covid).

He wasn't there to bail him out this time.

10 minutes ago, JMF2006 said:

He wasn't there to bail him out this time.

Right, but Tua was named starter well before Fitz got Covid.

The original message you replied is below, naming Tua as starter when both Tua and Fitz were options isn't really giving Miami the best chance to win a game deciding their playoff fate.

You lose the locker room if you don't put the quarterback in there that gives your team the best chance to win right now.  Especially when you're a playoff contender.  They don't care what the current state of your franchise is.  This is on Flores.

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Magox said:

It’s super unusual for there to be a lot of chatter from within the organization primarily players criticizing the potential franchise rookie high end first round QB.

Part of it obviously is on Tua for not demonstrating that he’s the man but also on Flores.   If Flores had not benched Tua I don’t think you’d be hearing all these anonymous quotes.  He emasculated him by taking him out for Fitz in order to win the game.  I don’t think Flores realizes the psychological impact not just for Tua but for his teammates.

Not that I'm anything but happy over any turmoil going on there, but Flores was in a tough spot.  The team was in contention for a playoff spot, hence the reason he benched Tua to go for the win against the Raiders...and it worked.  But Fitz got COVID and couldn't play in the final game anyway, not that he had any chance to win given the way their entire team played, so I'm not sure what the players are bitching about?  But hey, as long as they are pissed at Flores and Tua's pysche has seemingly been damaged, it only helps the Bills.

On 1/13/2021 at 11:25 PM, warrior9 said:

I would highly doubt that. Josh was clearly the best QB on the team, Tua is not.

Josh worked incredibly hard and was a natural leader... it seems as though Tua is not.

Also, the coaches trusted Josh to throw the ball more than 10 yards down field.

I wouldn't doubt it at all.

Agreed on all you say about Josh's positives, even at that early age, but the Fins players say Tua is a hard worker too.

The difference is that in Josh's rookie year there was no Fitz here. We might have had the same problems if we'd kept - wow, I couldn't even remember his name, just had to look it up, honestly - Tyrod and played Josh before he surpassed him.

Although I doubt we'd have heard about it. This Bills team pulls together. I don't think we'd have seen publicly aired doubts like this even if players were privately doubtful. 

It's a wonderful thing Josh has developed the way he did. We are so lucky to have him.

4 hours ago, Doc said:

The draft capital only means that the best they can do it take a QB at 3rd overall, since the Jags and Jets are likely to take QBs before them and won't trade out (least of all to the Dols).  They either take one at 3rd overall or don't take one until the mid-rounds.  But again, I doubt they admit they made a mistake with Tua after just 1 season that had no OTAs, minicamps or pre-season.

This seems reasonable to me.

Edited by Thurman#1

You can't just compare every bad rookie QB to Josh Allen and call it a day. Some rookie QBs are simply not good enough to warrant an uncontested 2nd chance.

No one is saying a rookie QB should step in and light it up all year, but you at least want to see top tier potential and a line of improvement over the course of the season. Allen showed both, Tua has shown neither. If anything I think he ended the year worse than he started. Allen made way too many mistakes his rookie year and was still learning to read the field but he had a bunch of signature plays where you could envision the development track. A rookie QB with extreme highs and extreme lows that gets better throughout the season is not comparable to a consistently middling QB.

What was Tua's signature play this year? What did he improve on? What special traits has he shown? I think the answer to all of those question is "nothing". IMO the Dolphins should go the Rosen route. I guess the one possible wildcard is Tua's injury. Maybe after another offseason of recovery he'll transform his game. The Dolphins need to figure that out soon. It's not often you have your pick of the 2nd or 3rd best QB in the draft.

• Thank you (+1) 1

10 hours ago, Doc said:

Not that I'm anything but happy over any turmoil going on there, but Flores was in a tough spot.  The team was in contention for a playoff spot, hence the reason he benched Tua to go for the win against the Raiders...and it worked.  But Fitz got COVID and couldn't play in the final game anyway, not that he had any chance to win given the way their entire team played, so I'm not sure what the players are bitching about?  But hey, as long as they are pissed at Flores and Tua's pysche has seemingly been damaged, it only helps the Bills.

https://www.nfl.com/news/sidelines/bills-josh-allen-other-resilient-qbs-continue-to-prove-doubters-wrong

At 24 years old, Allen is prime evidence that the most important quality in evaluating whether a quarterback can lead a franchise is one that doesn't get enough attention: mental toughness.

If Tua's "pysche" is injured by being pulled when he is ineffective when rest of team cannot carry him and is replaced in game then the Miami Aquatic Mammals need to get a new QB whether by draft, free agent or trade.  There will be a new OC so all QBs will be on same level on scheme unless new OC brings a QB with him.

Oh and Fitzpatrick is a free agent and not likely to remain in Mijami with Chan Gailiey leaving. 

• Agree 1

10 hours ago, Thurman#1 said:

I wouldn't doubt it at all.

Agreed on all you say about Josh's positives, even at that early age, but the Fins players say Tua is a hard worker too.

The difference is that in Josh's rookie year there was no Fitz here. We might have had the same problems if we'd kept - wow, I couldn't even remember his name, just had to look it up, honestly - Tyrod and played Josh before he surpassed him.

Although I doubt we'd have heard about it. This Bills team pulls together. I don't think we'd have seen publicly aired doubts like this even if players were privately doubtful. 

It's a wonderful thing Josh has developed the way he did. We are so lucky to have him.

This seems reasonable to me.

Well Beane said that everyone saw Josh's talent and the lack of talent on the team was making Josh look worse (I believe he said that last week). He said something about receivers not being where they need to be, etc. 

On 1/13/2021 at 6:21 AM, PromoTheRobot said:

Interesting read and one that does not bode well for a team I thought was on it's way up. Tua's "golden child" treatment didn't sit well with some Dolphins players.

Was this article really written by High Football IQ and was it his way of apologizing to all of us for all of his Tua posts this season?

21 minutes ago, dneveu said:

Losing the week 17 game to get into the playoffs... while playing terribly?  I'm not surprised his teammates aren't sold.  

Yeah but with the way their whole team got thrashed...who can criticize Tua specifically?  And Fitz wasn't available because of COVID.  If anyone thinks he would have been the difference in the game...