Anonymous Dolphins players: not sold on Tua

12 hours ago, Doc Brown said:

You lose the locker room if you don't put the quarterback in there that gives your team the best chance to win right now.  Especially when you're a playoff contender.  They don't care what the current state of your franchise is.  This is on Flores.

They had no choice in week 17...Fitzy got the covid

22 hours ago, Doc said:

Not surprising.  But I wonder if anyone had the same thoughts about Josh after his first season?

Josh was not coddled by the team. Fact was at the time he was the best QB on the roster. Personally, I think Fitzy was a better QB for the fins in the immediate time frame.

1 hour ago, BuffaloBill said:

Josh was not coddled by the team. Fact was at the time he was the best QB on the roster. Personally, I think Fitzy was a better QB for the fins in the immediate time frame.

I would agree. 

For Flores it worked out, at least he knows now Tua will never be a superstar QB so they can draft Josh fields or whoever best QB is  at 3 if they so want.  I think that is one of the most interesting decisions coming up in this draft.

Tua doesn't throw receivers open, he can develop that trait. Josh didn't have it much his first year, but he has a damn cannon strapped to his shoulder so he could wait that extra half second and still force the ball in when receivers got open. I dunno how you give up on a guy after 1 year, but for the Dolphins I approve of this tactic. 

7 minutes ago, ndirish1978 said:

Tua doesn't throw receivers open, he can develop that trait. Josh didn't have it much his first year, but he has a damn cannon strapped to his shoulder so he could wait that extra half second and still force the ball in when receivers got open. I dunno how you give up on a guy after 1 year, but for the Dolphins I approve of this tactic. 

Allen had glimpses even in college of throwing big time throws.  Tight windows, deep out is 100% anticipation and Allen was money on that day 1.  I dont see what you are going to get with Tua.  Staying 100% with Tua is a significant risk.  It could get the GM and coach fired type of decision.  At 3.... you take a qb.  You can trade both 1s to the jets for 2 and get Fields.  Trade the later first and Tua for stafford.  After the qbs in the class looking much further along idk how you make that choice sitting at 3.

14 minutes ago, ndirish1978 said:

Its easy .  The Cardinals gave up on Rosen after 1 year.  

8 minutes ago, prissythecat said:

Its easy .  The Cardinals gave up on Rosen after 1 year.  

Different situations.  The Dols took Tua as the 2nd QB whereas the Cardinals forced themselves to settle for Rosen after Right Josh was taken.  To give up on Tua after only 1 season while Herbert is looking like a stud will be a very bad look for them.  And they're in-line for the best QB in the draft.

Edited by Doc

7 minutes ago, Doc said:

Different situations.  The Dols took Tua as the 2nd QB whereas the Cardinals forced themselves to settle for Rosen after Right Josh was taken.  To give up on Tua after only 1 season while Herbert is looking like a stud will be a very bad look for them.  And they're in-line for the best QB in the draft.

Fair point.  But if there is a Justin Fields sitting at #3  , what do they do ?  😛    I believe Fields is considered a better QB than Tua coming out?   I remember the Cardinals saying that Josh Rosen was their QB for quite a while in early 2019 before they went ahead and got Murray.

21 minutes ago, Doc said:

They fired their coach after drafting Rosen and the new coach wanted Murray.

1 hour ago, prissythecat said:

Fair point.  But if there is a Justin Fields sitting at #3  , what do they do ?  😛    I believe Fields is considered a better QB than Tua coming out?   I remember the Cardinals saying that Josh Rosen was their QB for quite a while in early 2019 before they went ahead and got Murray.

I don't.  At best it's a push.

1 hour ago, FireChans said:

They fired their coach after drafting Rosen and the new coach wanted Murray.

Yeah I mentioned that they (have the same GM/HC and) won't want to look foolish for taking Tua by moving-on from him after only a year.

The strangest thing about all of this, was just *how* committed the Dolphins are to Tua for next season. If they had spent this year's 1st Round pick on Tua in addition to last year's based off a trade, that would make more sense to me. But with all of the Draft picks they have this season and owning Houston's top 5 pick, they're in a rare situation to be able to take a top QB in the top 5 OR, take complementary pieces and use one of the lower 1sts or a 2nd on another QB and let there be a competition for the position. 

Committing to Tua full on, no questions asked at this point is a risky situation for Flores and his credibility with his players, as evidenced by the article. Moreover, it does damage to the culture he's worked hard to build and establish. If he were a coach who had 7-8 years in and had several playoff victories with consistently winning records each year, he'd probably be given a wider berth to make this decision. But at the end of his second season in the dead center of the full rebuild cycle, is really odd in my mind. 

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, JMF2006 said:

They had no choice in week 17...Fitzy got the covid

Tua was named the starter well before Fitz got covid mid-week then. It's one thing Fitz got covid so Tua had to be named the starter, it's another thing that Tua was named starter when both Fitz and him were options (before Fitz had covid).

1 hour ago, BigBuff423 said:

The strangest thing about all of this, was just *how* committed the Dolphins are to Tua for next season. If they had spent this year's 1st Round pick on Tua in addition to last year's based off a trade, that would make more sense to me. But with all of the Draft picks they have this season and owning Houston's top 5 pick, they're in a rare situation to be able to take a top QB in the top 5 OR, take complementary pieces and use one of the lower 1sts or a 2nd on another QB and let there be a competition for the position. 

Committing to Tua full on, no questions asked at this point is a risky situation for Flores and his credibility with his players, as evidenced by the article. Moreover, it does damage to the culture he's worked hard to build and establish. If he were a coach who had 7-8 years in and had several playoff victories with consistently winning records each year, he'd probably be given a wider berth to make this decision. But at the end of his second season in the dead center of the full rebuild cycle, is really odd in my mind. 

This QB draft is Lawrence, who will go 1st overall...and then a distant 2nd place.  Meanwhile the Jets have their own Tua and after 3 years might (should) be ready to move on and take a QB 2nd overall.  So at best they're looking at the 3rd-best QB.  Now while they may be able to get a good one, like the Bills did, I just can't see them admitting they messed-up drafting Tua, and will say that the lack of OTAs, workouts and pre-season hurt him and to give him more weapons and time.

1 hour ago, BigBuff423 said:

I agree.

If Tua was a mistake or even could   be a mistake, be honest with yourself and "admit it" by drafting a QB and setting up competition which is in itself always a positive.   Tua's health record is also a factor, he  is not exactly indestructible.

Cardinals and Rosen is the greatest example.  You think for one second the Cardinals dont regret pick K Murray and moving on from Rosen?

• Agree 1

Just now, RoyBatty is alive said:

I agree.

If Tua was a mistake or even could   be a mistake, be honest with yourself and "admit it" by drafting a QB and setting up competition which is in itself always a positive.   Tua's health record is also a factor, he  is not exactly indestructible.

Cardinals and Rosen is the greatest example.  You think for one second the Cardinals dont regret pick K Murray and moving on from Rosen?

If the Dols had the 1st overall pick, I'd agree with you.  But who are you taking 3rd overall/QB and staking your job on just a year after taking Tua?

9 minutes ago, Doc said:

If the Dols had the 1st overall pick, I'd agree with you.  But who are you taking 3rd overall/QB and staking your job on just a year after taking Tua?

Dont know,  have not done extensive research.  Multiple candidates: Josh Fields, Trask. Lance, Mac Jones (bet the Pats would take him if available) and the BYU kid that looks like he is 12 years old. 

Just because Lawrence is the obvious #1 doesn't mean the Dolphins can materially upgrade from Tua and the Dolphins have the draft capital they dont even have to take QB @ #3 unless they are sold on him.

1 hour ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

Dont know,  have not done extensive research.  Multiple candidates: Josh Fields, Trask. Lance, Mac Jones (bet the Pats would take him if available) and the BYU kid that looks like he is 12 years old. 

Just because Lawrence is the obvious #1 doesn't mean the Dolphins can materially upgrade from Tua and the Dolphins have the draft capital they dont even have to take QB @ #3 unless they are sold on him.

The draft capital only means that the best they can do it take a QB at 3rd overall, since the Jags and Jets are likely to take QBs before them and won't trade out (least of all to the Dols).  They either take one at 3rd overall or don't take one until the mid-rounds.  But again, I doubt they admit they made a mistake with Tua after just 1 season that had no OTAs, minicamps or pre-season.