Anonymous Dolphins players: not sold on Tua

2 hours ago, SageAgainstTheMachine said:

The notion that they could insert him as a starter in his rookie season, probably before he was ready, and then move on from him after they almost went to the playoffs 2 years ahead of schedule is ridiculous.  Obviously he looked limited at times but if Flores had just kept him behind Fitz on the bench this conversation wouldn't be happening.

Adjusting his throw from hip surgery I think might be Tua's biggest challenge going forward IMO. The natural pin point accuracy that Tua displayed in Alabama before the injury did not seem nearly as evident in his 1st season as a rookie IMO. If Tua Tagovailoa does not regain the most important aspect of his play that got him to where he is today. Tua becomes an average at best QB in the NFL throwing at a below average velocity.

I also think from a leadership standpoint and understanding of the Gailey play book Ryan Fitzpatrick gives Tua impossible shoes to fill. On the other hand most rookie QB's do not show the same degree of success Tua enjoyed in his 1st season. 

Time will tell...

Edited by Figster
  • Like (+1) 2

46 minutes ago, Don Otreply said:

Tua’s biggest issue as I see it is that his hip having been “gruesomely” broken as was stated by a Doctor in an article I read recently, and that it is effecting his throwing motion, and will it ever get back to were he can rotate his lower body into his throwing motion as he did pre-injury. Not quoting, but paraphrasing the article. 

Additionally he is physically small, and his frame isn’t going to support much more muscle mass to get stronger, he currently appears to need to throw his entire body into throws of intermediate or longer distances, and even then, there is not much velocity/speed in the balls flight. I see him as an above average game manager at his peak. Jmo. 

Agree.  That's really the key: is Tua fully recovered from his injury and is his throwing motion as good as it can get now, given the limitations imposed by the injury? 

Or can he spend the off-season with physical therapy to increase range of motion and strengthen muscles, then methodically work to recover the throwing motion that was built into his muscle memory before the injury?

Perhaps Miami is "all in" on Tua because they believe the latter is fully possible.  They are the people who are in the best position to know.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1

7 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Agree.  That's really the key: is Tua fully recovered from his injury and is his throwing motion as good as it can get now, given the limitations imposed by the injury? 

Or can he spend the off-season with physical therapy to increase range of motion and strengthen muscles, then methodically work to recover the throwing motion that was built into his muscle memory before the injury?

Perhaps Miami is "all in" on Tua because they believe the latter is fully possible.  They are the people who are in the best position to know.

Gaileys resignation suggests the person that probably knows best may not have been completely sold on Tua IMO.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

Living in Florida, I've had a good time poking fun at the Dolphins fans.  A pretty common theme among them is that they should have drafted Herbert.  After watching their rookie seasons, I have to agree.  There are even a fair number of people here that believe that letting Tannehill leave was a big mistake.

I've also watched most of the Miami games this season.  Tua's accuracy stats are heavily skewed due to the high percentage of really short passes that he throws.  He has a fairly long throwing motion which gives D-linemen a chance to react and deflect passes.  His longer passes seem to lack the velocity that you see from successful QB's in the league.  He acts as though he doesn't see the field well, which could be a function of his stature.

Many Miami fans want their team to use the third overall pick to take another QB to create a competition in training camp.  Most don't think it will happen because the owner (Ross) is enamored with Tua and his Alabama career.  It's great to watch all of the controversy.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Doc said:

Not surprising.  But I wonder if anyone had the same thoughts about Josh after his first season?

I would imagine they did, and them having doubts is normal in my opinion.

The big difference here is the bills kept those worries in house, these dolphin players making it known to the public is a lot more worrisome because it tells me those players don't trust the coaching staff or GM staff to do the right thing/make tye right call

2 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Interesting read and one that does not bode well for a team I thought was on it's way up. Tua's "golden child" treatment didn't sit well with some Dolphins players.

This falls squarely on the coach.  He rushed the playing of Tua and then pulled him twice.  You could not have scripted it more poorly, especially with Fitz out and Tua getting blown out to end the season.

2 hours ago, Doc said:

Not surprising.  But I wonder if anyone had the same thoughts about Josh after his first season?

Starting Josh in 2018 didn't cost the Bills a playoff berth.  I think Flores is a good coach but he mishandled the QB situation by benching Fitz while he was cooking and the team was winning.  

Good discussions.  My post wasn't meant t denigrate Josh or prop-up Tua, just to wonder if you could find, say, 3 Bills players after the 2018 season to say the same thing, at least as far as how Josh didn't have what it takes to succeed despite the elite traits (and while Tua may not have them, he has the pedigree coming from Alabama and having won a national championship).  I would love nothing more than for Tua to fail and the Dols to spin their wheels with him for years, but as we've seen with Josh, you have to give them a little more time.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Florida Bills Fanatic said:

Living in Florida, I've had a good time poking fun at the Dolphins fans.  A pretty common theme among them is that they should have drafted Herbert.  After watching their rookie seasons, I have to agree.  There are even a fair number of people here that believe that letting Tannehill leave was a big mistake.

I've also watched most of the Miami games this season.  Tua's accuracy stats are heavily skewed due to the high percentage of really short passes that he throws.  He has a fairly long throwing motion which gives D-linemen a chance to react and deflect passes.  His longer passes seem to lack the velocity that you see from successful QB's in the league.  He acts as though he doesn't see the field well, which could be a function of his stature.

Many Miami fans want their team to use the third overall pick to take another QB to create a competition in training camp.  Most don't think it will happen because the owner (Ross) is enamored with Tua and his Alabama career.  It's great to watch all of the controversy.

Tua still has the quickest release in the NFL which to some extent makes up for the lower velocity IMO.

Still, If I'm Miami, you have to good of a team to go into the season without a good backup plan IMO.If someones there at 3rd overall worthy of the pick and you like him. I'm getting another signal caller.

This is coming from a big Tua fan...

1 hour ago, benderbender said:

Hate to say it, but the Dolphins have handled the Tua situation perfectly:

• They didn't start Tua in the majority of games so they can claim plausible deniability with his projected ceiling
  • They obviously came to the conclusion about how good he was when they listed him as "injured" instead of starting Fitz due to performance
  • Fitz was in on the scam because he never bitched and moaned on social media before much less cried in interviews

The final result is Miami can now trade Tua for a more valuable commodity with minimal compensation because they can be "talked into" moving off of Tua. It was their plan all along. Tip of the cap. 

You'd have to be some kind of special to trade Watson for Tua.

5 minutes ago, wjag said:

This falls squarely on the coach.  He rushed the playing of Tua and then pulled him twice.  You could not have scripted it more poorly, especially with Fitz out and Tua getting blown out to end the season.

Could anyone imagine the Bills pulling Josh for a veteran, even Fitz? 

I think the players would have rioted.  The fans would have rioted.  Well, that's partly unfair, because of course the Bills fans had a longer, closer front-row-seat to "Pickspatrick" and his time-proven tendency to throw an interception just when the game is on the line, whereas the Dolphins fans and other players (I think) still see him as the QB who could take them there.

But the thing is, when it's the 4th quarter and something is needed, seems to be when Josh "levels up" and plays his very hardest, sometimes too hard.  That's what you need from your franchise guy, so to pull a young QB you've been starting - isn't that tantamount to saying you don't think he has it in him to "level up" and bring it when he most needs to be clutch?

1 minute ago, Figster said:

Tua still has the quickest release in the NFL which to some extent makes up for the lower velocity IMO.

Still, If I'm Miami, you have to good of a team to go into the season without a good backup plan IMO.If someones there at 3rd overall worthy of the pick and you like him. I'm getting another signal caller.

Where did you get this from?

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, PromoTheRobot said:

You'd have to be some kind of special to trade Watson for Tua.

Yeah, that's my reaction - that's a Bill O'Brien level move.

3 minutes ago, Figster said:

I'm rather puzzled by this.  Perhaps you could explain more, so we don't talk past each other.

• Like (+1) 1

Because they had a better QB on the roster. Players want to win and if they feel like the organization is committing to anything other than winning, they get annoyed.

Fitzpatrick CLEARLY was the QB who gave them the best chance to win this year.

2 hours ago, Doc said:

No, because Allen was the best QB on the roster. Playing him gave them the best chance to win.

If they would have stuck with Peterman, the players would have had similar complaints.

• Like (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Yeah, that's my reaction - that's a Bill O'Brien level move.

I'm rather puzzled by this.  Perhaps you could explain more, so we don't talk past each other.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2819447-tua-tagovailoa-is-incredible-cfb-qb-but-is-he-a-tank-worthy-nfl-prospect

If you scroll down it clocks Tua's release equal to Aaron Rodgers. I was reading another article that said fastest release or one of the fastest. ( .35 )

Edited by Figster