Anonymous Dolphins players: not sold on Tua

Tua’s biggest issue as I see it is that his hip having been “gruesomely” broken as was stated by a Doctor in an article I read recently, and that it is effecting his throwing motion, and will it ever get back to were he can rotate his lower body into his throwing motion as he did pre-injury. Not quoting, but paraphrasing the article. 

Additionally he is physically small, and his frame isn’t going to support much more muscle mass to get stronger, he currently appears to need to throw his entire body into throws of intermediate or longer distances, and even then, there is not much velocity/speed in the balls flight. I see him as an above average game manager at his peak. Jmo. 

hopefully Miami will be the like the Jauron era Bills... Tough team, media darlings at times, go on a little streak here and there, but missing the QB to really compete. 

I don't think NE is done by any stretch. If they sign Fitz or someone like him and return half their defense that opted out they could be dangerous. 

Just now, mannc said:

But I don’t think they ever announced that Rosen was their starting QB for the next season.  That’s the whole reason for this article.

They kind of did in their end of season presser, but it was before they hired Kliff and before Murray declared. This is a different situation in that both GM and HC are returning and while they might not know which of the QBs is there at #3 they can probably have a reasonable sense of who it is between. I do think it is much more likely the Dolphins mean what they say with Tua. 

Stupid decision to start Tua too soon. You have to let the incumbent starter fail before making that call. Fitz was doing okay and then was being subbed in to save games.

McDermott had Peterman and McCarron, lol. He let them fail miserably and then inserted Josh and there was no looking back from anybody. They didn't sub a vet QB in to save the game if Josh was doing bad.

Just terrible management by Miami.

• Like (+1) 3

1 hour ago, Doc said:

Not surprising.  But I wonder if anyone had the same thoughts about Josh after his first season?

I’m Sure they did. He had problems with touch and accuracy, and game speed. there is a school of though that the first irrespective of the reason it can’t be fixed. And the last one either happens or never does. 

turns out, that having little to no mechanics help or high level coaching made him as raw as they come but very coachable and correctable. 

2 hours ago, Doc said:

Not surprising.  But I wonder if anyone had the same thoughts about Josh after his first season?

After Josh's first season, we could all see that Josh's passing abilities weren't what they needed to be, especially as far as consistency.

And probably some of the players wondered if he'd get them to where they needed to be.

But Josh had already shown, several times, the ability to take the team on his back and carry it.  And it's also coming out - Beane interview - that a number of times Josh's first year the receivers were running the wrong routes or running the right routes incorrectly.  The whole team has to have known the OL couldn't run block or pass protect in 2018.  And in 2019, as Josh got better with better WR, they could still see that our small WR got taken out by bracketing or by physical DB play.

You could see that Josh had "elite traits" - his ability to escape and create plays, his ability to gain yards on the ground, his arm strength

I read that article as espressing, not just that Tua isn't good enough right now, many rookie QBs aren't --- but questioning whether he has any elite physical traits to build on as he improves.

Chris Simms I believe expressed the same concerns.  He said Tua's only path to success will be to become elite mentally, as Drew Brees has, because he lacks even one elite physical trait (or words to that effect)

• Agree 2

Just now, 947 said:

I remember people on ESPN including Tua in their top-10 QBs after his first start, in which he completed 54.5% for 93 yards. LOL.

C’mon man, didn’t you see all those games he won at Alabama?  😅

1 minute ago, BearNorth said:

Tua is 6-1 219, 4.9 40.  Josh is 6-5 240 4.7 40.  Bigger faster stronger....

No way is Tua 6’1”

4 minutes ago, BearNorth said:

Height, weight and 40 time aren’t good predictors of success for a QB.

Josh is clearly better but Tua is still a rookie. 

Edited by Bangarang

1 hour ago, Doc said:

I would imagine for sure but two huge differences.

1)  Allen was always considered a "project", low completion percentage, Wyoming etc etc.  Tua absent his injuries was supposed to be good to go.

2) Tua has, imo, a very low physical ceiling, the direct opposite of J A.  You cant teach size.

5 minutes ago, BearNorth said:

6' 0", 217.