Anonymous Dolphins players: not sold on Tua

Flores mishandled the QB situation almost as bad as the Eagles.  I don't understand the timing of Fitz being benched and Tua becoming the starter.  

Compared to Allen's rookie year, Tua displayed no moments where he flashed and I felt he was going to be good or great.  He is a JAG right now imo

• Like (+1) 4

5 minutes ago, Doc said:

Not surprising.  But I wonder if anyone had the same thoughts about Josh after his first season?

Not a comparable situation.  Tua, along with Joe Burrow, was considered to ready to start - perhaps the most pro ready.   Justin Herbert was considered more of a project QB that would need time to grow.  

Allen was thought of to be a low-floor/high ceiling type of project QB.  Tua was never considered a QB project as was thought of to have the highest ceiling of any QB but maybe the lowest floor.  

Most rookie QB’s have up and down years, but the good one show some flashes of greatness from time to time (Herbert, Burrow, Baker, Lamar, Josh, Murray).  We’ve seen a few solid games from Tua but no where near on the level of the other top QB’s over the past two year.  Miami won on their defense and special teams - and not with QB play.  

I don’t buy the narrative that Chan didn’t trust him.  I just think he’s pretty limited with what he can do right now and he called plays accordingly.  

I do think Tua can get better but IMO I see him as more of game manager than a franchise QB.  You can win with a game manager, but as we know, there is a ceiling with how high you can go.  

21 minutes ago, Doc said:

Not surprising.  But I wonder if anyone had the same thoughts about Josh after his first season?

allen has seemingly been a leader and loved in the locker room since year 1.  You think his teammates didn’t love him trucking people and laying it all out?  Tua (tuna?!) slides in must win games

Just now, Crayola64 said:

He flashed nothing above being a game manager.

and his teammates watched the better QB be benched for sake of development, even though it hindered their season.

of course he isn’t popular in the locker room.  

That’s the thing, he is very popular in the locker room.  Players love him because he’s a hard worker and a good person.  They just aren’t seeing reasons on the field why he started over Fitzpatrick and question how high his potential really is

5 minutes ago, DCbillsfan said:

Flores mishandled the QB situation almost as bad as the Eagles.  I don't understand the timing of Fitz being benched and Tua becoming the starter.  

Compared to Allen's rookie year, Tua displayed no moments where he flashed and I felt he was going to be good or great.  He is a JAG right now imo

That decision likely flushed their playoff chances. It's probably why players are talking to the papers. That "NFL is easy" quote was a red flare to me. It's disrespectful, especially after that game.

Edited by PromoTheRobot

2 minutes ago, DCbillsfan said:

There’s speculation that ownership could’ve influenced the decision.  I don’t know...

I always felt that Fitzpatrick, even with his ups abs downs, was the better choice if playoffs were a priority.  

If you want to look to the future, you start Tua.  Put him in real game situations and use the experience to build toward next season.   Tua becomes priority #1.  Playoffs become priority #2.  

I think Flores tried to both, and the process really ended doing neither.  

The decision to pull Tua for Fitz in key moments was always telling for me and the decision to go back to Tua after was just bizarre

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

That decision likely flushed their playoff chances. It's probably why players are taking to the papers. That "NFL is easy" quote was a red flare to me. It's disrespectful, especially after that game.

Sounds like Flores has to mend some fences.  Most QBs improve year 2.  I'm curious to see how much Tua improves next year.

• Like (+1) 1

47 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Interesting read and one that does not bode well for a team I thought was on it's way up. Tua's "golden child" treatment didn't sit well with some Dolphins players.

My favorite part of the article is the player who’s gripping about the Dolphins having to compete with Josh Allen for the next ten years, and their inability to do so with Tua.  Many fan comments are in a similar vein.😀

Edited by mannc
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

39 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

It's also surprising that a rookie QB says the NFL is "easier than expected" after one game where he wasn't that good and got carried by the rest of the team. That quote struck me when I read it.

very true.  it was a "rookie" mistake with that comment.

Hate to say it, but the Dolphins have handled the Tua situation perfectly:

• They didn't start Tua in the majority of games so they can claim plausible deniability with his projected ceiling
  • They obviously came to the conclusion about how good he was when they listed him as "injured" instead of starting Fitz due to performance
  • Fitz was in on the scam because he never bitched and moaned on social media before much less cried in interviews

The final result is Miami can now trade Tua for a more valuable commodity with minimal compensation because they can be "talked into" moving off of Tua. It was their plan all along. Tip of the cap. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 1

I never believed the decision to start Tua and bench Fitz was well-received by that roster nor that it came from the HC. 

With Justin Herbert and Joe Burrow playing well,  I'm confident ownership and/or the GM wanted their guy on the field as well.  

Still, Tua had 3 mediocre to bad games against Denver, then KC and finally Buffalo after their bye week.  Missing the playoffs by 1 game combined with the decision to start him probably left a bad taste in some players on that roster. 

29 minutes ago, Penfield45 said:

he’s accurate and gets the ball out quick 

I still think it’s crazy to judge him off this past season. Coming off a major injury + no preseason it was always gonna be rough for him 

He's accurate, has a quick release and is pretty poised even when things are going badly.... maybe less so in the Bills game but in other games he hasn't got rattled. And I agree it is crazy to want to close the book on him. 

But the concern about a lack of elite traits is absolutely justified based on what we have seen at this stage.

The other factor in this Dolphins leak is that Fitz is always a beloved teammate. It was the reason Buddy Nix felt the Bills couldn't keep him here behind a rookie in 2013 because the players in the locker room wouldn't throw their weight behind the kid (even if he had been good) while Fitz was around. Same happened in Tampa where Fitz split the locker room, not intentionally, just by being a great guy who teammates naturally gravitate towards. 

If, as they claim, the Dolphins are truly all in on Tua that doesn't just require a scheme tweak, and some more pieces around him that suit his style of play but it also requires them to let Fitz walk. Otherwise there will always be "Fitz guys" in that locker room. Hell the likes if Fred Jackson and Eric Wood are still Fitz guys now.... 8 years after they stopped playing with him. 

• Like (+1) 3