Don't watch GMF this morning.......it'll frustrate you!

1 minute ago, eball said:

Yeah, I agree with this, the Bills don't have anyone good enough to be sure to tackle Lamar one-on-one.  It's also why I don't think we'll play much nickel.  Play a solid base D focused on stopping the run and forcing throws to the outside.

Yep. Stop the conventional run game. Don't let Dobbins and Edwards move the chains. Lamar will break one or two 20-30 yard runs off over the game. They don't hurt you if you stop them sustaining drives and if you score when you have the ball. I know it sounds mad but I am almost willing to let them have the Lamar run if that is all that is there for them. Because they can't rely on that for 60 minutes. But if you are letting them move the chains and convert 3rd downs with their backs and passes in the middle of the field and THEN Lamar breaks one. Well now you are in trouble. 

• Agree 2

It’s amazing how quickly the narrative shifts, isn’t it? For several weeks the popular take was Buffalo can’t be stopped but now it seems everyone wants to be the person to say “I told you Buffalo could be stopped” if they lose. If they win they can still quickly flip back to “man that offense is amazing” or “man that defense knows how to get a stop” it’s just lazy journalism at this point 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

8 minutes ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

I went by yards per attempt as the more meaningful measure imo....

Running they allow 4.6 ypc which is in the 20’s.  

Passing NY/A 5.6 or 4th.

pts allowed is second behind Rams. 

They’re both giving up 18.6.  3rd is 20.4. Tied for 1st is first imo.  

So you think the ravens have the 20th best run defense?  Because of that stat?  Interesting.  

1 hour ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

The offenses aren’t taking the field vs air. 

Bill run defense has been inconsistent to say the least. The part of the field the bills defend best the Ravens don’t use. 

The ravens passing and scoring defense are tops. And while their run D is not as good, the Bills can’t run at all. 

This is the tough match up on paper everyone is rightfully talking about. It’s not to say can’t win, won’t win etc. defense could step up and play tough, Digg and Allen could play out of their minds, one of the RBs stepping up might have the game of their life, coordinators might find a great match up to exploit all day... but it’s a tough match up on paper based on what is known. 

Third down on both sides of the ball was a problem 

I never said it wasn't a tough matchup.  Rams, Broncos, Dolphins, Steelers, Patriots are all ranked ahead of the Ravens in TDs.  We scored on all of them.  I am not worried about whether or not our offense will score on this team.  The biggest concern for me is can the defense do just enough and can we protect the football. One turnover could decide this game.  Offense vs Offense I will take the one that passes all day vs the one that rushes. 

We can score quickly.  Barring blown coverage or Lamar breaking off a 50 yard TD run, which can happen, the Ravens will not.  They are not built to come from behind. That is why their record is 1-5 after being down 10 points or more.  The one win was last week.  Titans couldn't score after taken the lead.  Otherwise they would be 0-6.

• Like (+1) 1

25 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

Unfortunately this defense has shown in games they are absolutely pathetic on 3rd down.... killed them late in the game last year in the playoffs against Houston and seemed to have carried over into this season as we saw it a few times this year and against the Colts Sunday.

Last season they were 1st or 2nd in the league on 3rd down. It has been a problem this year I agree but mainly in passing situations. That worries me less with Baltimore. They have actually done okay on 3rd and short rush attempts.

46 minutes ago, NewEra said:

They’re both giving up 18.6.  3rd is 20.4. Tied for 1st is first imo.  

So you think the ravens have the 20th best run defense?  Because of that stat?  Interesting.  

on points just went off of pro football reference, but maybe it’s not current. 

To me YPG is about the opponent game plan, strategy, scoring and other things, while yards per carry tells me more about, when teams do decide to run on you, how do you handle it. 

sort of like how YPA weighs so heavily in passer rating. 

Edited by Over 29 years of fanhood
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

24 minutes ago, Scott7975 said:

I never said it wasn't a tough matchup.  Rams, Broncos, Dolphins, Steelers, Patriots are all ranked ahead of the Ravens in TDs.  We scored on all of them.  I am not worried about whether or not our offense will score on this team.  The biggest concern for me is can the defense do just enough and can we protect the football. One turnover could decide this game.  Offense vs Offense I will take the one that passes all day vs the one that rushes. 

We can score quickly.  Barring blown coverage or Lamar breaking off a 50 yard TD run, which can happen, the Ravens will not.  They are not built to come from behind. That is why their record is 1-5 after being down 10 points or more.  The one win was last week.  Titans couldn't score after taken the lead.  Otherwise they would be 0-6.

for that second paragraph, I almost want to see long sustained chain moving drives.

i think with josh and skill guys when they deliberately play short horizontal ball with 4 wide and potential draw swing game they possess well and score against this sort of defense. 

Keeping The running team on the sidelines can cause them to start getting antsy and press. 

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, SoCal Deek said:

It’s mind boggling to think that ANY television commentator would opine on how cold weather would work against the Bills! Did we move our team to Miami? What the....? 

Its still the oversimplification of 'Baltimore runs ball...bills no good at stopping run' 😄 a snowy game would be disastrous for a guy like lamar who relies on cutting on a dime

It’s mind boggling to think that ANY television commentator would opine on how cold weather would work against the Bills! Did we move our team to Miami? What the....? 

Its still the oversimplification of 'Baltimore runs ball...bills no good at stopping run' 😄 a snowy game would be disastrous for a guy like lamar who relies on cutting on a dime

33 minutes ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

on points just went off of pro football reference, but maybe it’s not current. 

To me YPG is about the opponent game plan, strategy, scoring and other things, while yards per carry tells me more about, when teams do decide to run on you, how do you handle it. 

sort of like how YPA weighs so heavily in passer rating. 

Agree 💯.  Great points

I Normally I love gmfb but yeah they’ve been extra Ravensy lately. People love saying how Ravens won 6 in a row. We won 7 in a row. 

8 minutes ago, dlonce said:

GMF is entertainment. They’ll be back on the wagon after a Bills win.

The Ravens are the same team as last year, the Bills are not. Play defense anywhere close to last years game and it’s a Bills victory.

Agreed. But Shaq was all over the place that game. In many clips he was the guy running Lamar down. Got to imagine Star was clogging up the middle and Phillips was adding a lot of pressure too. 

I honestly ave no idea who takes this one. It’ll be a hell of a game. 

Edited by Bobby Hooks

3 minutes ago, Bobby Hooks said:

Normally I love gmfb but yeah they’ve been extra Ravensy lately. People love saying how Ravens won 6 in a row. We won 7 in a row. 

Agreed. But Shaq was all over the place that game. Got to imagine Phillips was adding a lot of pressure too. 

Agreed as well.

We miss Shaq. We especially miss Star big time. 
The Ravens mostly run off tackle so gap integrity is going to be important.

As far as Jackson is concerned, it’s tough to limit his running. Third and longs are very important as long as we do not tee off and lose the edge. 

Maintaining the pocket and rushing inside might do the trick as long as the above mentioned edge players are not too aggressive.

1 hour ago, Scott7975 said:

We can score quickly.  Barring blown coverage or Lamar breaking off a 50 yard TD run, which can happen, the Ravens will not.

On the other hand, our defense has shown time and again that they can do an excellent job of allowing other teams to score quickly. See Seahawks, Rams, and most definitely the Colts, whose two 4th Q scoring drives were 2:38 and 1:55 in length, even though the bulk of the yards were gained on the ground.

31 minutes ago, Rubes said:

On the other hand, our defense has shown time and again that they can do an excellent job of allowing other teams to score quickly. See Seahawks, Rams, and most definitely the Colts, whose two 4th Q scoring drives were 2:38 and 1:55 in length, even though the bulk of the yards were gained on the ground.

This is true.  By passing QB's.

Rivers is good and always has been.   Its just his post season that kills his reputation. 

5 hours ago, HOUSE said:

But last year, the Bills were one of the few teams that made life difficult on Jackson and the Ravens. In a seven-point win at Buffalo in 2019, Baltimore finished with a season-low 257 total yards.

https://www.pennlive.com/baltimore-ravens/2021/01/baltimore-ravens-vs-buffalo-bills-numbers-that-could-tell-the-story-of-the-divisional-round-matchup.html

McDermott is one of the best Defensive guys in the game.  We have the personnel.  No excuses. Gonna be a dog fight. 

Bills 27 Ravens 17

It’s amazing how much media there is for the NFL.   With all the TV, Internet, and social media coverage it only makes sense that the quality of it is poor.  Why listen to, or concern yourselves with, all these opinions?   The majority come  from unqualified people who mimic what they heard another person say.  

The game will be decided on the field and I like our chances.  I expect a better overall performance from last week and another win in a closely contested game.