Lamar Jackson has never played a football game in the snow.

2 minutes ago, nucci said:

This goes back to the Colts game....so many were saying the Colts traveling all the way to Buffalo and having to play outdoors would have a big effect on their game. 

Exactly.

Two things people like to overlook.  They are all professional football players and both teams are playing on the same field/in the same conditions.

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, oldmanfan said:

I think it is more difficult to make the kind of jukes and cuts Jackson normally makes if the footing is bad.  Receivers know where they want to get to when they start.

I think this is all wishful thinking. 

Cold is uncomfortable, but these guys are tough. Baltimore gets cold, too.

Snow can really affect your footing, especially on defense. Mahomes loves playing in the snow, because it makes it hard for the DBs to change directions, and the WR know where they are going and can plan, whereas the DBs do not. 

Snow does not have to slow down great passing offenses. Never affected Mahomes or Brady. It won't stop the Bills, either!

Edited by TheFunPolice

8 hours ago, I am the egg man said:

Anyone remember tackle football in the street in the winter before heavy salting became the norm?

Or walking to the ice pond wearing ice skates?

Hitching cars?

Was there any better feeling than hitting someone clean out of bounds in the street?

4 minutes ago, TheFunPolice said:

Cold is uncomfortable, but these guys are tough. Baltimore gets cold, too.

Snow can really affect your footing, especially on defense. Mahomes loves playing in the snow, because it makes it hard for the DBs to change directions, and the WR know where they are going and can plan, whereas the DBs do not. 

Snow does not have to slow down great passing offenses. Never affected Mahomes or Brady. It won't stop the Bills, either!

They are also in the same division as Pittsburgh and Cleveland

A little snow could actually give the WRs an advantage vs DBs ; probably a slight edge to the Bills. Any more than that plus high winds would hamper the Bills style more than the Ravens so they would get an edge there. Yes, both teams have to play in it so anything to do with cold etc doesn’t mean much. The teams styles are so different that high winds and heavier snow would impact one more than the other. 

3 hours ago, Jpsredemption said:

I don’t care that they lost to the Patriots. They finished the season on fire, have a great defense and a quarterback who can do things no one else on the planet has ever done. Not to mention their running game in general is phenomenal. 

4 of the teams they finished "on fire" against have a combined record of 17-46.  Two of them were playing backup QBs.

Edited by Scott7975
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

12 hours ago, The Wiz said:

In more curious what they define as snow. I'm guessing he has played in a game or two with snow falling but not building up on the field. 

Or has he never played when snow has been falling either?  

Young man, my pappy once said “if this snow keeps up, it won't come down”

• Haha (+1) 1

Not for nothing, but I spent WAY too much time watching the Accuweather channel last night.  Folks...there's something big coming in.  Temperatures for the next 48 hours are going to be comfortably above normal, and right behind it is a big push of frigid air.  Which means the forecast is calling for VERY strong winds, and the lee sides of all the Great Lakes are going to get clocked.   We can debate which team that favors or harms, but my guess is the kicking games for both teams are going to be challenged.

Everyone is entitled to believe their own weather forecast.  Have at it.  I've seen enough to convince me.  I'M not going to be on I-81 Saturday evening or Saturday night.

4 minutes ago, Whites Bay said:

Not for nothing, but I spent WAY too much time watching the Accuweather channel last night.  Folks...there's something big coming in.  Temperatures for the next 48 hours are going to be comfortably above normal, and right behind it is a big push of frigid air.  Which means the forecast is calling for VERY strong winds, and the lee sides of all the Great Lakes are going to get clocked.   We can debate which team that favors or harms, but my guess is the kicking games for both teams are going to be challenged.

Everyone is entitled to believe their own weather forecast.  Have at it.  I've seen enough to convince me.  I'M not going to be on I-81 Saturday evening or Saturday night.

The forecast im looking at shows highs of starting today 39, 38, 41, 37, 36 and thats through Sunday. No lows under 31 degrees. Saturday forecast sunny all day winds at 12 mph...

7 minutes ago, Whites Bay said:

you may be correct

https://weather.com/weather/tenday/l/Orchard+Park+NY?canonicalCityId=ee333c09a3e84dfaac78cd3483c9fe1c55675d392bac701251e38852067a2b82

11 minutes ago, nucci said:

Like I say, everyone's entitled to believe the forecast they want to believe.  I live up by Watertown.  This time of year, I ALWAYS check the forecast for wind events.  Simply put, nothing in the world can prepare you for I-81 during heavy lake effect.  You just have to experience it.  And when I see a chance of THAT happening...I'm not going out.

13 hours ago, IronMaidenBills said:

Luck of the draw I suppose. This is actually really really good news for us. Maybe the snow will help limited his effectiveness on the ground game. 

This will make it worse for us, snow equals advantage to the offense.

53 minutes ago, Whites Bay said:

Accuweather is definitely not always accurate...read the NOAA Buffalo Forecast Discussions to get a much more accurate picture of what is expected.  

As of 1:25PM's forecast discussion, it was unchanged from this morning:

low-end likely = 60-65% chance of happening

pops = Probability of Precipitation

"Farther west over WNY, kept chance to low-end likely pops for lake effect on Saturday night in areas favored by northwest winds instead of west or southwest winds. Temps are marginal on Saturday in lower elevations that may see mix of rain/snow at times, but eventually all areas will see snow as ptype by Sat. night. With baseline for the lake effect parameters currently indicating lake equilibrium levels up to 8kft and winds aligned with minimal shear, lake effect coverage and intensity over WNY will be greater with presence of additional deeper moisture and any shortwave(s) rotating around the main upper low. Some guidance hints at this now, but will be hard to pin down til we get closer. Something to watch."

3 hours ago, JohnNord said:

Snow and cold are overrated IMO.

Depends entirely on how much of each.

If it is snowy, it could totally take away Lamar Jackson's "it" factor to run around and terrorize us.  

It's not supposed to be really cold, but there is (at the moment) a 40% chance of snow.

Low of 30 at night.  

I just have a feeling we WILL see snow at game time.  Just a hunch.

Not sure how bad though.  

1 hour ago, BUFFALOTONE said:

This will make it worse for us, snow equals advantage to the offense.

Not if there's enough of it.  Remember our snow game a few years ago?  Lamar isn't going to run wild in that stuff.  No one is.

If it snows enough to cover the field and make it hard to see the yard markers, we have an advantage.

2 hours ago, Whites Bay said:

Like I say, everyone's entitled to believe the forecast they want to believe.  I live up by Watertown.  This time of year, I ALWAYS check the forecast for wind events.  Simply put, nothing in the world can prepare you for I-81 during heavy lake effect.  You just have to experience it.  And when I see a chance of THAT happening...I'm not going out.

Watertown, huh?

I feel your pain.  One of the worst winter climates in the country, for sure.