Ravens Pat Ricard: does he look like a Problem?

Just now, klos63 said:

When did he use the word... 1950?

Ok so he used it at a time the tide was turning. But in 2011, it still was nowhere near how it is now. Kevin Hart's tweet using that word was in that same time period. He got in trouble for it 7 years later in 2018. No way he publicly tweets that even in 2016. In 2011 he didn't think twice and NOBODY made a big deal about it...so no...not 1950...2011 sir. 

2 minutes ago, StHustle said:

Ok so he used it at a time the tide was turning. But in 2011, it still was nowhere near how it is now. Kevin Hart's tweet using that word was in that same time period. He got in trouble for it 7 years later in 2018. No way he publicly tweets that even in 2016. In 2011 he didn't think twice and NOBODY made a big deal about it...so no...not 1950...2011 sir. 

Did anybody know who either one of those guys was in 2011? Maybe that's why it wasn't a big deal.  Why make excuses for the guy, it was a crappy thing to say at any period of our lives.  I couldn't care less about the guy either way, but I won't make weak excuses for him.

• Thank you (+1) 1

51 minutes ago, klos63 said:

Did anybody know who either one of those guys was in 2011? Maybe that's why it wasn't a big deal.  Why make excuses for the guy, it was a crappy thing to say at any period of our lives.  I couldn't care less about the guy either way, but I won't make weak excuses for him.

Excuses? It's called real life bud. To sit back on a high horse like you never said anything that you shouldn't have in your lifetime, knowing that's not who you are, then hold others to a higher standard because they become well known is BS. Im not making excuses for him.

I read his tweets and as bad as they were, Im simply pointing out the FACT that it doesn't equate to him being a racist homophobe right now or even back then. Could he be or have been? Yes! But those tweets don't prove it. Using choice words is different then making statements about gays or blacks that actual should earn you a label. What racist statement did he make about black people? The black joke about disco? What did he say about gays that shows he is homophobic? Help me out here.

Look as a black man who has dealt with plenty racism in my 37 years on this planet...I hate when someone who hasn't earned that title gets labeled a racist. It waters down the word imo. It also makes some feel like racism doesn't exist so much as being reported by us black folks when they constantly see weak ass cases like this.

Also, would you consider Josh Allen a racist too? I was in Buffalo this weekend to watch the game with friends and a buddy of mine said something like "Josh Allen knows he's a beast too...with his racist ass!" I had to check em immediately! I asked em to back that up and all he could bring up was the tweets. I explained to him like I did to you...and he never even read the actual tweets...just heard about them. I told em that it was obvious reading it that Josh was one of those young white boys who felt he was "down" enough with the culture to use that word in a public forum. He did it in a way where he didn't use the word in a derogatory manner. Instead he used it as if he were black. Is that wrong? YES! Does it make him racist??? NO! What's so hard to get about that??? Josh is clearly a hip guy who is very diverse culturally and I'm sure likes some hip hop. The word is used ALOT in that genre and culture as you know and, again, as a black man, I don't blame those white kids who use the word they hear so much in the same way black people use it. I don't wanna hear it but when I have in the past, I'm not mad at all. I may warn them to be careful cause some black people may not care about context and get upset but I understand they are actually showing they like black people and culture if anything. 

4 hours ago, Nextmanup said:

He's a good old fashioned homophobe and racist.

Makes it even easier to cheer against him on Saturday.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-6477091/Baltimore-Ravens-condemn-racist-n-word-tweets-homophobic-slurs-Twitter-player-Patrick-Ricard.html

Hate to break it to you... But Allen had some similar tweets at one point 😂

he's scary as a blocker, and gets passes because he's basically not covered.  he actually doesn't break many tackles, but on 3rd or 4th and short, is just another weapon for the ravens (another guy you gotta watch).

the ravens O is the ultimate gregg roman dirty fantasy, lol.  a tiny qb who's not great as a traditional passer, but runs like a cheetah on meth, a few giant TEs who can block and catch, pretty sick OL, a couple burners at WR, and giant physical RBs.  Picard is just an extra freak for his match up circus.  they get you scared of the power run game out of so many formations, but really their best asset is using misdirection to get easy passes for lamar, or get your d going the wrong way and then either have a power back going full speed the other way, or lamar basically returning a punt w two tacklers between him and the end zone. 

the downside, as we saw first hand in buffalo, is that they are not dynamic, have trouble hurrying up, don't have as much of a green light to change up plays, and if you keep them honest like pitts does, you can turn them into a power run team that struggles on 3rd and passing downs.

im worried about our guys over pursuing one wan and getting burned the other, because our DL just isn't going to win a lot of match ups in this game.  more than ever, a hot start and big pressure by our O scoring is our key to victory.  i hope we have a schematic wrinkle in the bag so that instead of our usual D making deep outside passes hard and giving up the middle, we can make lamar pause and read the D, which turns him from the MVP into a below average NFL qb.  i don't think we can present a good physical match up like we did last year, and nearly had a shot to tie it even though our o was pretty putrid.

8 hours ago, StHustle said:

Excuses? It's called real life bud. To sit back on a high horse like you never said anything that you shouldn't have in your lifetime, knowing that's not who you are, then hold others to a higher standard because they become well known is BS. Im not making excuses for him.

I read his tweets and as bad as they were, Im simply pointing out the FACT that it doesn't equate to him being a racist homophobe right now or even back then. Could he be or have been? Yes! But those tweets don't prove it. Using choice words is different then making statements about gays or blacks that actual should earn you a label. What racist statement did he make about black people? The black joke about disco? What did he say about gays that shows he is homophobic? Help me out here.

Look as a black man who has dealt with plenty racism in my 37 years on this planet...I hate when someone who hasn't earned that title gets labeled a racist. It waters down the word imo. It also makes some feel like racism doesn't exist so much as being reported by us black folks when they constantly see weak ass cases like this.

Also, would you consider Josh Allen a racist too? I was in Buffalo this weekend to watch the game with friends and a buddy of mine said something like "Josh Allen knows he's a beast too...with his racist ass!" I had to check em immediately! I asked em to back that up and all he could bring up was the tweets. I explained to him like I did to you...and he never even read the actual tweets...just heard about them. I told em that it was obvious reading it that Josh was one of those young white boys who felt he was "down" enough with the culture to use that word in a public forum. He did it in a way where he didn't use the word in a derogatory manner. Instead he used it as if he were black. Is that wrong? YES! Does it make him racist??? NO! What's so hard to get about that??? Josh is clearly a hip guy who is very diverse culturally and I'm sure likes some hip hop. The word is used ALOT in that genre and culture as you know and, again, as a black man, I don't blame those white kids who use the word they hear so much in the same way black people use it. I don't wanna hear it but when I have in the past, I'm not mad at all. I may warn them to be careful cause some black people may not care about context and get upset but I understand they are actually showing they like black people and culture if anything. 

I never called him racist or a homophobe, just wasn't excusing his comments because it was less frowned upon way back in 2011.  I basically just said, why defend him, they where bad things to say and that's it. I'm not saying anything else, not saying anything should happen to him. Just won't defend him for saying it.

1 hour ago, klos63 said:

I never called him racist or a homophobe, just wasn't excusing his comments because it was less frowned upon way back in 2011.  I basically just said, why defend him, they where bad things to say and that's it. I'm not saying anything else, not saying anything should happen to him. Just won't defend him for saying it.

Well thank heavens you're here to tone police football players!  Do you keep a list of every person who doesn't toe your arbitrary line in their daily lives?

9 hours ago, TUBSTER said:

Hate to break it to you... But Allen had some similar tweets at one point 😂

He really didn't.  He was quoting some TV shows, not tossing the N and F word around.

That said, I'm the OP on this post and was hoping to have some discussion of whether Ricard is a problem *as a football player*, not as to whether tweets he made as a 15 or 16 year old are 1) racist and homophobic (look to be) 2) old news - emerged and were dealt with years ago 3) since he's still on the team after that, relevant

So I'm gonna go with "no longer contributing positively to the community" here.

• Like (+1) 1