Bills sign Devonta Freeman

Draconator

I'm okay with seeing what we have in Freeman. He was an excellent back until the injuries. If he is truly healthy, he could help. See how it plays out this week and make a decision for Saturday. If we keep 3RB active, I'd keep Singletary, Freeman and Yeldon and use Yeldon as the #2 unless Freeman shows he can handle more.  Either way, even if it is Williams, I finally trust our FO to make the right decision and call competent plays this week. 

45 minutes ago, EasternOHBillsFan said:

I look at it this way...

Kyle Shanahan left the Falcons, and suddenly their offense goes out the window...

Devonta Freeman goes to the Giants, who have relied on Saquon Barkley's explosiveness to make plays despite their offensive line.

Devonta Freeman has played in the Super Bowl for God's sake...

Why is this even an issue??? Bring him up to speed and USE HIM, if not for blocking and veteran competence!!!

Please, rational BillsMafia, help me out here

This is not a good take.  One, that SB was a while ago and before a slew of injuries derailed Freeman’s production during the 2018 season.

Second, bring him up to speed?  Come on, this isn’t Madden.  You don’t create chemistry, conditioning, snd playbook understanding by plugging and playing a guy the week he gets here.  We run one of the most complicated offenses in the entire NFL and we are a passing team.  A RB not up to speed can be a big liability on both pass protecting and in the run game.

Nor sure why some people don’t understand the importance of this stuff.  Not to mention, Freeman is a shell of his former self and was clearly shot while playing this year before again going on IR.  Now he’s been active for a while and not going to be even in game shape.  

Mind blowing people want to have this guy play against the Ravens this week.  Especially since Yeldon has been useful in limited appearances, especially as a receiving outlet.  

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, BuffaloBillies said:

Freeman rushing/receiving stats... (may have to click on to zoom in)

image.thumb.png.36155886223bfed40f3922195787f785.png

2016 and 2017 are very impressive stats. I'm guessing he was injured in 2018?

2019 he had over 1,000 yards and 6 TDs (rushing and receiving) including 59 catches out of the backfield.

Who knows if he's the same player as last year (2019), but he's likely close to it (unless injured)

Why are you ignoring his most recent body of work this year where he wasn’t any good and got hurt yet again?  

Edited by Alphadawg7

1 hour ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Thank you. I don't get Bills fans love affair with undrafted players. Lol. 

We're facing one of the most blitz heavy defenses in the NFL and some people are comfortable throwing Williams out there protecting our franchise? 

Yeah as much as I liked Williams making the most of his opportunity against Miami (and want to see more of him in an actual preseason), I'm not entrusting a season on the line to an undrafted rookie with a handful of career snaps.

5 minutes ago, TheBrownBear said:

Freeman is done, imo.  Jimminy Crickets, the Giants got more production from 32 year old Alfred Morris than Freeman.  

Yup, still a decent signing given he’s a veteran for the PS in the event there is any injuries.  But he wasn’t signed to play this week and likely won’t play without more injuries any time this post season.  

End of the day, this is most likely Devin’s run game now, he will get the lion share of the snaps at RB and be featured and someone like Yeldon and Taiwan Jones will come in on some 3rd downs or to spell him.  

People forget they still love Devin who is now by far the best RB we have available.  

It’s possible they activate Williams too, but with Taiwan almost certainly active for ST reasons, I doubt they activate both Yeldon and Williams for this game.

Edited by Alphadawg7

57 minutes ago, EasternOHBillsFan said:

I look at it this way...

Kyle Shanahan left the Falcons, and suddenly their offense goes out the window...

Devonta Freeman goes to the Giants, who have relied on Saquon Barkley's explosiveness to make plays despite their offensive line.

Devonta Freeman has played in the Super Bowl for God's sake...

Why is this even an issue??? Bring him up to speed and USE HIM, if not for blocking and veteran competence!!!

Please, rational BillsMafia, help me out here

Freeman and Singletary is what I would like to see happen, there is no way Singletary doesn’t play.

Go Bills!!!

1 minute ago, 1ManRaid said:

News flash, the Giants weren't very good.

New flash unexplosive 75 year old Alfred Morris was better on that same Giants team than Freeman...as was EVERY RB on the Giants this year.  

Freeman YPC over 6 games:  3.2 YPC

Gallman: 4.6

Morris:  4.3

Lewis:  4.0

Freeman only RB with at least 20 carries to average under 4 yards per carry for the same Giants team, and he barely averaged over 3 YPC.

So yet another terrible take here in this thread.

• Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Why are you ignoring his most recent body of work this year where he wasn’t any good and got hurt yet again?  

Not ignoring anything. It's all there. He obviously was hardly used this year. Just posed the question if he could be anywhere near his 2019 production.

1 hour ago, H2o said:

I'm just here to say I can't figure out how on God's green earth someone broke a story before Yolo. It's mathematically, scientifically, and pretty much physically impossible. 

I've done it several times, but the mods always lock my post and merge it with his, even though I have posted mine earlier. I guess it not who you know...

6 minutes ago, BuffaloBillies said:

Not ignoring anything. It's all there. He obviously was hardly used this year. Just posed the question if he could be anywhere near his 2019 production.

Well every other RB in NY was substantially more effective than Freeman was this year.  By a yard or more per carry on same amount of carries or more.

While Freeman's experience can't be discounted, I don't see how you can activate him on less than a week's practice with a new team.  What happens when a play is called and he goes left when the play is designed to go right?  A botched hand-off resulting in a fumble?  Allen getting blown up on a missed pass protection?  He is on the roster for emergency purposes only.  Yeldon plays ahead of him, Williams plays ahead of him and Jones plays ahead of him.  There are merits to going with Yeldon (more experienced) or Williams (young legs, looks explosive, played recently and played well), but cons to both too.  The coaching staff for some reason disfavors Yeldon (perhaps ball security-related) and Williams lacks experience and could be a liability in pass protection, as mentioned many times on this board.  The fact that Freeman may be shot is not even part of this analysis, although the numbers indicate that it's possible.

Edited by msw2112

30 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Why would you put Freeman ahead of Yeldon?  He doesn’t know the offense, and we run one of the most complicated, if not the most complicated, offensive system in the NFL. He also averaged 3.2 YPC this year in 5 games and coming off long inactivity on IR due to his injury. 

I mean, I just don’t get how people always want to plug and play people likes it’s Madden while ignoring things like chemistry, conditioning, and understanding the playbook.

Yeldon is who it’s most likely going to be.  Williams has a shot, but ONLY if they feel strongly about his ability to pass protect.  We are a passing team, not a chance they are going to activate a RB who is a liability on pass pro.  And I’m not sure they really know given he spent the season on the PS.  They would really have to at least believe he can handle it.  

On on top of this Yeldon can actually help you running and catching the ball.

McDermott soured on him early because he fumbled, and wants slow plodding bruisers, but he’s been productive in limited chances.

Last year we wasted 1/2 a backfield on Frank Gore who was beyond finished, and doubled down by wasting 8 touches on him in the Texans game.

Freeman is shot, he’s older than Yeldon as it is.

• Agree 1