Bills sign Devonta Freeman

Draconator

5 minutes ago, Straight Hucklebuck said:

I completely disagree.

He’s battled concussions, COVID, ankle problems, he has nothing left. 

My guess is they want a veteran who can pick up the blitz and finish games without fumbling. Could be Yeldon and Freeman, with Yeldon bringing value as a reasonable blocker, non-fumbler (over his career), and--best of all--excellent hands for the passing game. I would take Moss over both of them, though. 

Freeman rushing/receiving stats... (may have to click on to zoom in)

image.thumb.png.36155886223bfed40f3922195787f785.png

2016 and 2017 are very impressive stats. I'm guessing he was injured in 2018?

2019 he had over 1,000 yards and 6 TDs (rushing and receiving) including 59 catches out of the backfield.

Who knows if he's the same player as last year (2019), but he's likely close to it (unless injured)

• Agree 1

29 minutes ago, H2o said:

I'm just here to say I can't figure out how on God's green earth someone broke a story before Yolo. It's mathematically, scientifically, and pretty much physically impossible. 

Why do you think I'm "a few dollars short" right now...

2 minutes ago, longtimebillsfan said:

Agreed. Williams will play his heart out.

Just make it happen!

Why wouldn't Yeldon play his heart out lol? I don't understand the love for inserting a player in his second NFL appearance into a high pressure playoff game that will be won and lost by who makes the most mistakes.

I look at it this way...

Kyle Shanahan left the Falcons, and suddenly their offense goes out the window...

Devonta Freeman goes to the Giants, who have relied on Saquon Barkley's explosiveness to make plays despite their offensive line.

Devonta Freeman has played in the Super Bowl for God's sake...

Why is this even an issue??? Bring him up to speed and USE HIM, if not for blocking and veteran competence!!!

Please, rational BillsMafia, help me out here

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

29 minutes ago, Mango said:

I would have to take a deeper dive into who sits, but I would not be shocked if Yeldon AND Williams dress. This staff seems to hate Yeldon for whatever reason. With Moss out, I would not be surprised if they want a couple options to rotate in and out of the line up to see what works on game day. 

Don't see how that's possible, because Taiwan Jones will be active.

McDermott loves his Special Teams players.

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, BuffaloBillies said:

Freeman rushing/receiving stats... (may have to click on to zoom in)

image.thumb.png.36155886223bfed40f3922195787f785.png

2016 and 2017 are very impressive stats. I'm guessing he was injured in 2018?

2019 he had over 1,000 yards and 6 TDs (rushing and receiving) including 59 catches out of the backfield.

Who knows if he's the same player as last year (2019), but he's likely close to it (unless injured)

He also has super bowl experience that none of our guys have. The stats are easier to read here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Devonta_Freeman

• Awesome! (+1) 1

LOL at anyone saying A. Williams' performance in the 2nd half against Miami means he should get playing time in the divisional round of the playoffs.  That performance suggested he should get more opportunities next August.

Signing Freeman is an excellent move; I don't care what his numbers were for the Giants, he's only 28 and has playoff experience.

• Like (+1) 6
  • Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, EasternOHBillsFan said:

I look at it this way...

Kyle Shanahan left the Falcons, and suddenly their offense goes out the window...

Devonta Freeman goes to the Giants, who have relied on Saquon Barkley's explosiveness to make plays despite their offensive line.

Why is this even an issue??? Bring him up to speed and USE HIM, if not for blocking and veteran competence!!!

He’s past done. 

It’s been one injury after another since 2017 and whatever athleticism he had is gone.

Yeldon should have been active last year in Houston instead of Gore, and he should be called up now.

Not sure about this but watching the Ravens 311lb FB makes me wish we had one of those.  To the untrained eye he appears faster than either of our RBs.  Just having another guy back there to give Allen another second or two to find an open guy is worth the price, but i really have no idea which of the three stooges we have to choose from are going to be best at that.  Maybe have Lee Smith line up as FB and skip the RB altogether?

29 minutes ago, EasternOHBillsFan said:

I look at it this way...

Quick, somebody sign Rex Grossman!

He has had the playbook for like a day. Maybe we don't rush the dude out there to protect JA against a blitz happy Baltimore team. 

Could he be productive? Maybe, maybe not. Is he an upgrade? We are all just guessing really. But the odds are not in his favor given his downward trend, age, and length of time with the playbook he would be running. 

1 minute ago, Process said:

Just looked up his stats with the Giants this year. 6 games and never averaged more than 3.5 ypc. Oof. 

Not sure we want this guy actually seeing the field. Just play Yeldon.

This!

I think if we are in a position where Freeman is seeing significant carries we are in a bad place. 

1 minute ago, dorquemada said:

Not sure about this but watching the Ravens 311lb FB makes me wish we had one of those.  To the untrained eye he appears faster than either of our RBs.  Just having another guy back there to give Allen another second or two to find an open guy is worth the price, but i really have no idea which of the three stooges we have to choose from are going to be best at that.  Maybe have Lee Smith line up as FB and skip the RB altogether?

Reminded me of a Balrog to be honest... they call him a fullback but imo he's a nimbler than normal guard.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, H2o said:

I'm just here to say I can't figure out how on God's green earth someone broke a story before Yolo. It's mathematically, scientifically, and pretty much physically impossible. 

1 of only 2 reasons I can think of. 

1.) He sold the tip to someone else

2.) Nap. -which seems impossible, given his ‘Open al Night’ status..

1 hour ago, jwhit34 said:

Injured this year but 2019 he had over 1,000 yards from scrimmage (650 run, 410 pass). If all are healthy, my ranking is:

1. Freeman

2. Yeldon

3. Williams

2021 season? Give Williams a shot to be in the mix. 

Why would you put Freeman ahead of Yeldon?  He doesn’t know the offense, and we run one of the most complicated, if not the most complicated, offensive system in the NFL. He also averaged 3.2 YPC this year in 5 games and coming off long inactivity on IR due to his injury. 

I mean, I just don’t get how people always want to plug and play people likes it’s Madden while ignoring things like chemistry, conditioning, and understanding the playbook.

Yeldon is who it’s most likely going to be.  Williams has a shot, but ONLY if they feel strongly about his ability to pass protect.  We are a passing team, not a chance they are going to activate a RB who is a liability on pass pro.  And I’m not sure they really know given he spent the season on the PS.  They would really have to at least believe he can handle it.  

• Like (+1) 3