Which class of 2018 QB gets the highest extension

Sharky7337

This weekend and the rest of these playoffs will be a big factor in who gets what. 
And the better question might be which team will regret it most? Baltimore has a pretty great track record of drafting so they may be the best suited to A) build around a 100 million dollar quarterback and B) draft well enough to cover it if Lamar turns into a mistake investment. 

Cleveland is gonna pay baker, but Chubb needs money too you can’t let that guy walk. Beckham probably has to go, can anyone on their defense stay healthy? Lot to be nervous about. Us too. We obviously know our own issues and what a massive extension for Allen does to the future of this team. I have no doubts he’s worth it and is our guy for a long time. But building a team around that kind of contract is tricky. Makes me nervous how many of our front office guys are in consideration for jobs elsewhere and might be gone. 

10 minutes ago, Inigo Montoya said:

Maybe I'm naïve, but I'm hoping that Josh Allen is that rare individual who may take less than fair market value to keep a winning roster around him.  What practical difference is there between having $300 million and 400 million in the bank at the end of your career?   Even if something happens and he only gets one big contract, injury, etc..  he will still walk away from the game in his early 30's with a nine figure bank account.   If the end result of maximizing your salary is spending your entire career on a good team instead of a great team, and making the playoffs a lot but never winning a Super Bowl, is that a good trade?   

I won't begrudge Josh for maximizing his deal when the time comes, but he seems like someone who will look at the big picture and not just the dollar signs.   We should know in about a year.

I agree with you on Josh, but there’s usually a feeling that players have to get paid for other players and for future generations of players. If you can get a big deal, you take a big deal because it helps guys out later. 

I’m sure the NFLPA and his peers wouldn’t look too kindly at a star like Josh taking a below market deal, because there won’t be context in future negotiation and teams will just say “we’re not paying you significantly more than Allen.” Because Josh didn’t take the most he could get it lowers the bar for others. 

• Like (+1) 1

55 minutes ago, JGMcD2 said:

I’ve been shouting this from the rooftops for months. There’s nothing wrong with that, it’s just that Baker can’t win on his own. I looked a few weeks back and the Browns are something like 1-15 when Baker throws more than 35 times. Less than 35 times and they’re around .500. He doesn’t win you games on his own. 

I think Cleveland gives Baker a bridge deal like Watson got, there was a lot of talk that they might move on from him, but I don’t think they can do that now. He will get something like 4/160. 

The Ravens are committed to Lamar, he’s going to get a huge deal, probably the biggest of the 3. The Ravens have won a lot with him, he has a MVP trophy, finally got a playoff win. It’s not going to be Mahomes territory but the Ravens have to pay him, if they don’t they run the risk of insulting him and calling him a RB, without actually saying it. The only difference between him and Mahomes right now is he hasn’t won a Super Bowl. 

I think Buffalo gives Josh a 10 year deal, I’m just not sure where the money sits. There’s no doubt he’s the guy, and he’s the best of the 3. He will get more than Baker, but probably less than Lamar, unless he takes us to a Super Bowl this year. 

I really find the MVP stuff interesting and wonder how much larger a contract can get because of that.  If you look at the numbers, Allen has had the best single season of any of them (this year) but likely won't have the MVP accolade.

If the Ravens are smart, they give Lamar a 5 year deal max.  They have one of the worst passing offenses in the league right now and if Lamar loses any speed at all then he is pretty much useless.   

Tough to say which will get the most, but I think that since Lamar will be more effective within a very specific 'system', he will probably get the least.

Some HCs simply wouldn't want to retool to fit one guy so there'd be less interest in Lamar as a FA and the background noise/threat of possible Free Agency 

will be a big factor.

Josh will probably deserve the most but may not get the most. 

20 minutes ago, JGMcD2 said:

I agree with you on Josh, but there’s usually a feeling that players have to get paid for other players and for future generations of players. If you can get a big deal, you take a big deal because it helps guys out later. 

I’m sure the NFLPA and his peers wouldn’t look too kindly at a star like Josh taking a below market deal, because there won’t be context in future negotiation and teams will just say “we’re not paying you significantly more than Allen.” Because Josh didn’t take the most he could get it lowers the bar for others. 

Hey JGMcD2,

I've heard that before but I'm not sure I buy it.  I think that is what agents tell their clients because they get a percentage of the contract, so they want to maximize it for their own selfish reasons.  One QB taking less isn't going to reset the QB market, especially if Josh lets it be known he took less deliberately.  The biggest beneficiaries of Josh taking less will be the other guys in the Bills locker room.  It will leave more money for their contracts.  They know if he takes up a huge chunk of the yearly Cap then there is less to go around for the other players on the roster.

5 minutes ago, Inigo Montoya said:

Hey JGMcD2,

I've heard that before but I'm not sure I buy it.  I think that is what agents tell their clients because they get a percentage of the contract, so they want to maximize it for their own selfish reasons.  One QB taking less isn't going to reset the QB market, especially if Josh lets it be known he took less deliberately.  The biggest beneficiaries of Josh taking less will be the other guys in the Bills locker room.  It will leave more money for their contracts.  They know if he takes up a huge chunk of the yearly Cap then there is less to go around for the other players on the roster.

I totally get where you’re coming from and I used to think it was quite a bit of BS. Although my mind was changed about 2 year’s ago, I work with pro athletes, albeit in a different sport. I actually picked this up in talking to coaches, generally they’re former players and they talk about how they went on strike for better pay and treatment, it was for future generations, etc. they try and pass that on to players who play today.

The NFLPA is going to do the same thing because it’s lead by former players and it’s for players. Coaches, agents and advisors are going to impart that same wisdom. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, billsherd said:

This is what I was thinking as well. With age and injuries you will lose a step and the ability to juke defenders. Ravens will have to see if he can become passer first with some running.

It’s two different models. Bills with Allen said “let’s develop him to turn his weaknesses into strengths” while the Ravens said “let’s hide his weaknesses with his strengths.” 

Neither is a bad philosophy and both have had success, but you have to wonder where Jackson’s really at as far as development and overcoming his weaknesses. 

• Agree 1

Don't care, I'm not writing the check.

But if I had to guess they'll all use each other as leverage. It will be based on  D. Watson's current contract and once the first one signs they'll go from there in negotiations. Josh will likely be first as he has shown incremental improvement every year and has displayed all the things you want in a long term franchise QB. Also I think Josh genuinely wants to be here and might go " contract friendly" ala Mahomes to retain as much talent as possible. JMO.

6 minutes ago, BigPappy said:

I think Josh Allen is too much of a team guy to even care about being the highest paid QB. Be it from his draft class or the entire NFL. 🤷‍♂️ Just my two cents.

He might not care yet the NFLPA could have issues if he signs below market value, that said think he could get something similar to what DeShaun Watson got. 

• Like (+1) 1

46 minutes ago, The Jokeman said:

He might not care yet the NFLPA could have issues if he signs below market value, that said think he could get something similar to what DeShaun Watson got. 

Agreed, but I highly doubt the Bills would offer a "below market value" contract extension.