Which class of 2018 QB gets the highest extension

Sharky7337

9 minutes ago, SCBills said:

Allen should because he's already shown he can carry a team.  He's done it multiple times this year, and has now done so in the Playoffs.  

Baker clearly plays off the run game.  He's good, but not in a take over the game by himself type of way. 

Lamar, I honestly have no idea.  I think he has the ability to take over games, but not as consistently, or to the level, that Josh Allen or Patrick Mahomes can.  

Baker is a bit like tannehill/goff - when he's working that offense is a machine.  When they get behind the sticks, or he gets a lot of pressure - things tend to go downhill quickly.  I think he's better and has potential to be much better than both.

Lamar won an MVP.  He's shown to be a dynamic runner, and is the main component of a top 10 scoring offense.  He's averaged 3000 yards 31 TDs and like 7 int's over the 2 years starting, also averaged another 1100 and 7 TDs on the ground.   He'll get paid.

Just now, Scott7975 said:

They will probably all get around the same amount of money.  Do any of these teams have a choice?  I think Josh is the best of the bunch but like how screwed would the Ravens be without Lamar.  No other QB could run that offense.  Baker isn't terrible and they aren't going to get anyone else.  The only way I see Lamar not getting that money is if the Ravens decide to move on from that type of offense and get rid of Roman too.

If you're first everyone will say you overpaid - but then the other 2 get paid and it kinda balances out.

37 minutes ago, PetermansRedemption said:

Allen without a doubt. Unless he takes a hometown discount. I can see Baker raking Cleveland over the coals. The city would riot if they let Baker walk after breaking the playoff drought and getting a W. Lamar I feel gets a big extension and then falls apart as the team around him falls apart (due to salary complications). 

This is where I am at. Josh without a doubt deserves the most money in the group. But unsure if that is where the dust settles. I think Baker chases and demands the top deal. I don't get the sense that that is in Josh's ethos, to chase the largest deal possible that is. If we offer it, I am sure he signs the dotted line. 

• Like (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

Baker is like Tannehill.  He is good when the run game is going but he cannot carry a team if its not working.  

I’ve been shouting this from the rooftops for months. There’s nothing wrong with that, it’s just that Baker can’t win on his own. I looked a few weeks back and the Browns are something like 1-15 when Baker throws more than 35 times. Less than 35 times and they’re around .500. He doesn’t win you games on his own. 

I think Cleveland gives Baker a bridge deal like Watson got, there was a lot of talk that they might move on from him, but I don’t think they can do that now. He will get something like 4/160. 

The Ravens are committed to Lamar, he’s going to get a huge deal, probably the biggest of the 3. The Ravens have won a lot with him, he has a MVP trophy, finally got a playoff win. It’s not going to be Mahomes territory but the Ravens have to pay him, if they don’t they run the risk of insulting him and calling him a RB, without actually saying it. The only difference between him and Mahomes right now is he hasn’t won a Super Bowl. 

I think Buffalo gives Josh a 10 year deal, I’m just not sure where the money sits. There’s no doubt he’s the guy, and he’s the best of the 3. He will get more than Baker, but probably less than Lamar, unless he takes us to a Super Bowl this year. 

What helps us with any Josh Allen extension is the fact that Mahomes signed a really team friendly deal.

Yes its a ton of money but its a 10 year extension added onto the 2 yrs he had left at below market value.  Also $45M a yr. resets thr market in 2020, but that'll be an absolute steal in 3-4 yrs when the next crop of Premier FA QBs are signing for $50-$55M.  The NFL cap will continue to soar yr. over yr. once covid is finally in the rear view (hopefully), and that 10 year deal Mahomes signed will be an absolute steal.

I'm hoping Allen's extension is closer to Mahomes (10 yrs.) than it is Watson's (4 yrs.).  Watson got a way better deal because he'll be able to re-up @ the market rate 6 yrs. before Mahomes & by that pt. QBs will be making $55+M per yr.

Obviously, I am biased, but I believe that Josh is the best player of the 3 and the most deserving of the biggest contract because of it.  That said, I'd agree with others who say that whoever signs the latest will probably get the most money (see Tre White example).

I also see Josh being the most willing of the 3 to take some kind of long-term, more team-friendly deal, like Mahomes did.  Josh loves Buffalo and is a perfect fit for the team, the city, etc.  Things like the community donating all that money to Children's Hospital after his grandmother died matter to a guy like Josh.  Josh also wants to win, and with the management structure in place in Buffalo, the team (with Josh as it's QB) is poised to be successful for a long time.  If too many dollars go to the QB, it's hard to pay everyone and the team can decline.  I think that happened in Seattle after they paid Wilson - they didn't have enough money under the cap to keep the defense and offensive line intact.  Now they are a good team and playoff team with Wilson, but not the Super Bowl team that they were. 

Allen's contract will not be Dak Prescott type of situation.

Allen should get paid the most and the longest term. Does Baltimore want to give Lamar a 10 year deal? That seems very risky for them given his style of play, something like a 4 year deal would make more sense.

I think Mayfield is pretty average but he’ll probably get significantly overpaid like most QBs. 

I don’t think Allen gets Mahomes money unless he wins the Super Bowl, then give him whatever he wants.

42 minutes ago, whatdrought said:

This isn’t a “Lamar is a RB” post, but why is it that RB’s value decreases so much?

2 main reasons: 

- Number of hits they deal with while running (which applies, though Lamar is great at protecting his body.)

- the severity to which an injury or continued injuries limit their ability. As soon as a RB loses a fraction of his speed, or agility, or as soon as his body is just a little less able to make the things happen that it always has - it’s over. 

Lamar feels that way to me. If Lamar was hobbled by a sprained ankle, and can’t run - what happens to the offense? 

That’s  something the Ravens need to consider. The margin of error is much smaller. 

This is what I was thinking as well. With age and injuries you will lose a step and the ability to juke defenders. Ravens will have to see if he can become passer first with some running.

1 hour ago, ClemsonBills said:

Ravens are in a tough spot. They have a really good team around Lamar and he isn’t a guy that makes everyone around him better.

I could be wrong, but this is just my thought.

He makes the team better and thats all that counts. he just wins games, doesn't matter what his stats look like. 

Ravens oline and WR's are average to below average and Lamar is still winning. 

4 minutes ago, billsherd said:

This is what I was thinking as well. With age and injuries you will lose a step and the ability to juke defenders. Ravens will have to see if he can become passer first with some running.

he led the NFL in passing touchdowns last season...

These three guys will all get around 20-25% of the teams cap going forward.  What that number might be remains to be seen.  that uncertainty has to be  bothering both sides when considering that issue.  NFL revenue is not guaranteed, not clear why players think their income should also, then, be guaranteed.  Giving a QB a "piece of the action" instead of a fixed dollar figure makes sense to me.....

1 hour ago, IgotBILLStopay said:

Josh will deserve the largest extension based on merit. But there is a glass ceiling for how much one can pay a QB and still put together a competitive team. That will make Baker's and Lamar's contracts similar to Josh's since both have done enough to merit being labeled The Franchise QB. All 3 will sign deals between 4yr 160 mill and 10 yr 450 mill.

My gawd those ##'s!!!!

1 hour ago, IgotBILLStopay said:

Josh will deserve the largest extension based on merit. But there is a glass ceiling for how much one can pay a QB and still put together a competitive team. That will make Baker's and Lamar's contracts similar to Josh's since both have done enough to merit being labeled The Franchise QB. All 3 will sign deals between 4yr 160 mill and 10 yr 450 mill.

Maybe I'm naïve, but I'm hoping that Josh Allen is that rare individual who may take less than fair market value to keep a winning roster around him.  What practical difference is there between having $300 million and 400 million in the bank at the end of your career?   Even if something happens and he only gets one big contract, injury, etc..  he will still walk away from the game in his early 30's with a nine figure bank account.   If the end result of maximizing your salary is spending your entire career on a good team instead of a great team, and making the playoffs a lot but never winning a Super Bowl, is that a good trade?   

I won't begrudge Josh for maximizing his deal when the time comes, but he seems like someone who will look at the big picture and not just the dollar signs.   We should know in about a year.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, prissythecat said:

Lots of Steelers fans wanted to see Mason Rudolph put in during the playoff game on Sunday lol.   

Honestly don't blame them as Rapelisburger is looking very old and very slow.........

Have the Bills proven they can win with a roster that includes a franchise qb's salary this year? 

Brown was out much of the end of the season, so they had a legit #1, a legit slot receiver, some money in the oline and then mostly players on rookie deals everywhere else.

I know there is money spent on the defense and they have come up huge in key spots, but that's a middle of the road defense this year (did see they were third in the league in takeaways,which sort of surprised me, and does make a little concern for future regression).

There are a lot of contributors on this team that are not making a ton of money...granted most drafts don't have a pretty legit #2 guy sitting there in the 4th round at wr, but they've drafted incredibly well for value and impact.

So anyway, I am really hopeful that the bills are already showing us they can build a roster with a top qb salary added, though it will require injury luck, because with this roster, the backups are the people I'm talking about contributing post injuries, where in the future they are going to be the starters and perhaps the backups will look more like the backups from 2018.