Which HC Job, If Any, Does Brian Daboll Get?

jwhit34

Which Head Coaching Job, If Any, Does Brian Daboll Get?  

201 members have voted

1. 1. What HC Job, If Any, Does Brian Daboll Get?

• Atlanta
    • Detroit
    • Houston
    • Jacksonville
    • LA Chargers
    • NY Jets
    • Philadelphia
    • None - He Remains OC for the Bills

4 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

So as of now Houston has not requested an interview with Bieniemy and as far as I'm aware Leftwich hasn't interviewed anywhere. I had a go yesterday in my Black Monday thread but the big development since then is Arthur Smith HAS interviewed with the Falcons. I think he is overwhelming favourite to get that job. I

Texans will interview Bienamy

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2021/01/12/texans-request-interview-with-eric-bieniemy/

I think this may be a simple appeasement thing, but if it is they had better be very open with Watson as to why he does not get the gig.

Edited by CorkScrewHill

6 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Yep. Interesting development.

How old is Watson?  24-ish, right?  If they think this guy has at least another decade of high-end football in him, it might not be the worst thing to give Bienemy a shot, see what happens for a year or two, and go from there.  They can get it right faster with Watson than with just about any other player or combination of players, so giving in might not be the worst move here. 

• Agree 1

7 minutes ago, SectionC3 said:

How old is Watson?  24-ish, right?  If they think this guy has at least another decade of high-end football in him, it might not be the worst thing to give Bienemy a shot, see what happens for a year or two, and go from there.  They can get it right faster with Watson than with just about any other player or combination of players, so giving in might not be the worst move here. 

I don't think that is stupid at all. Make clear to him Caserio is in charge of personnel and he is just the Head Coach and give him a shot. Let them do the tear down after 2021 and build with all the cap space in 2022 and if at the end of that year it isn't working then you can reconsider.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, billsfan89 said:

These jobs aren't that undesirable. The Jags have Lawrence and a ton of cap space, their ownership is not cheap. They also have an extra 1st in 2021 from the Rams. The Chargers have a promising young QB and solid pieces. The Jets have pick 2 and Darnold along with a pair of extra firsts from Seattle and ownership that isn't cheap. Houston has one of the top QB's in the game and low short term expectations. 

I agree that some of these situations that aren't the best. Philly and Detroit are bad situations in my opinion. Philly has an odd QB situation and they are really cap strapped. Detroit has a average vet QB with a bad cap situation, not exactly thrilling.  Atlanta has a better than average vet QB but their cap situation is a mess. Houston has one of the best QB's in the game but they have no picks in the first two rounds and their cap situation isn't that great. 

Overall I think that there still are only 32 of these HC jobs and you might be hot as a coordinator one year and then fall off in the next. I do agree Daboll has no issues staying with Buffalo if he doesn't like the fit but I think he would take 3-4 of these situations.

I know those things, that’s why I said there would be some I could see him interested in, however in each of those teams he’s not currently the leading candidate linked to those teams.

So my point was that unless he gets one of those, I think he passes on taking an undesirable one and come back one more year with Josh.

So you basically just agreed with me :)

1 hour ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

I can’t shake the idea that most of these guys work the way they do because of ambition. 

it’s rare to see and OC rise up that fast, then decide...  I’m good. 

Daboll is hot right now, maybe as he will err be. If he clicks with an owner and can do things his way, likes the prospect at QB, which there are several interesting situations, how does he not take a shot?? 

Again, I said there are some I can see him being interested in.  But several of these openings have been disasters already for young coaches with poorly run organizations and a long way from turning around.  

My point is the bond between him and Josh is so strong that I think it will need to be a job he covets and believes in the ownership and front office potential as opposed to take just any HC job offered.

Dabes has interviewed in two spots - LAC and the Jets. Saleh looks set to get the Jets job. I always thought the Chargers were the most likely but I wouldn't be at all surprised of the Eagles might a late push to interview him. 

At the moment him staying or going is 50/50.

6 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

I would never argue he was qualified with only less than a season calling plays as an OC.

Teams get desperate and make silly decisions. In the end, he won a SB with the Eagles so they can’t be too mad. 

44 minutes ago, Bangarang said:

I would never argue he was qualified with only less than a season calling plays as an OC.

Teams get desperate and make silly decisions. In the end, he won a SB with the Eagles so they can’t be too mad. 

It gets better: https://www.google.com/amp/s/deadspin.com/mike-lombardi-wrote-doug-pederson-a-letter-apologizing-1828471653/amp

Also, winning a SB for the Eagles is like the the 2004 Red Sox, the 2005 White Sox, and the 2016 Cubs: life defining. It is no small achievement. It is in fact one of the greatest postseason runs of the century. For that alone, he will always be a legendary coach. I have a LOT of friends from Philly, and they will never forget what he pulled off.

9 hours ago, jeremy2020 said:

Compared to how much successful defensive coordinators have been? Compared to how much more successful college coaches have been? 

Yeah same thing. I think that hiring is going to be less based on solely production. Production is still important, but I think intangibles are going to be valued as much, if not more. 

best fit for him is Chargers, but obv i hope he stays (imagine that, i was so hard on him before!).

i think saleh to the jets is the match made in heaven.  big media team, big media DC, he's great on camera and is popular.  and i hope he crashes and burns and stinks.

On 1/12/2021 at 11:54 AM, MJS said:

What I haven't heard talked about much is if Daboll leaves he is going to try to take some of his staff with him. So maybe Dorsey follows him and becomes HIS offensive coordinator.

The Bills can block staff raiding if contracts exist.  If contracts are done after the season, then, they could go.  We don't know that status...but be sure Bean is watching that situation.  Actually, I think that discussion will be professional between the individuals here.  they have worked together for three years, so it will be above board.

Just now, bigK14094 said:

The Bills can block staff raiding if contracts exist.  If contracts are done after the season, then, they could go.  We don't know that status...but be sure Bean is watching that situation.  Actually, I think that discussion will be professional between the individuals here.  they have worked together for three years, so it will be above board.

Yeah, they can block a lot of things, but that isn't the way this organization operates. Nor should they.

7 hours ago, colin said:

best fit for him is Chargers, but obv i hope he stays (imagine that, i was so hard on him before!).

i think saleh to the jets is the match made in heaven.  big media team, big media DC, he's great on camera and is popular.  and i hope he crashes and burns and stinks.

That would be bad for Darold imho...as Saleh is a DC at heart.  Would need a great OC....Chan comes to mind.  Is Chan really retiring, or, leaving Miami because he thinks Tua hasn't got it.  Bring Chan to the Jets to see if Darnold is fixable.

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, bigK14094 said:

That would be bad for Darold imho...as Saleh is a DC at heart.  Would need a great OC....Chan comes to mind.  Is Chan really retiring, or, leaving Miami because he thinks Tua hasn't got it.  Bring Chan to the Jets to see if Darnold is fixable.

i hope they trade darnold for a back of tape and draft a bust.