Which HC Job, If Any, Does Brian Daboll Get?

jwhit34

Which Head Coaching Job, If Any, Does Brian Daboll Get?  

201 members have voted

1. 1. What HC Job, If Any, Does Brian Daboll Get?

• Atlanta
    • Detroit
    • Houston
    • Jacksonville
    • LA Chargers
    • NY Jets
    • Philadelphia
    • None - He Remains OC for the Bills

1 hour ago, LABILLBACKER said:

Chargers would be foolish not to hire him. Herbert has similar qualities as Josh.  But knowing the LA market they may go after a bigger name.

That’s what I’m thinking as well a lot of competition and the fact that the chargers might want someone with HC experience rather than signing another coordinator

14 minutes ago, Direhard Fan said:

He stays.  Strong ties to Rochester.  Move family to LA?? I don't believe he would do that.  Pay him more money and make him Asst. Head coach and he stays.

Do people really believe he would waste time interviewing for HC jobs if he wasn’t serious about being a HC?

• Like (+1) 1

I'm not 100% Daboll is destined to be a hc. I think teams are going to be more careful when hiring OCs that offenses are lead by elite qb play. Or else you might get a McDaniels, Gase or Nagy type situation. I don't think Daboll or Bienemy land anything this cycle. 

• Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, ßookie_tech said:

I'm not 100% Daboll is destined to be a hc. I think teams are going to be more careful when hiring OCs that offenses are lead by elite qb play. Or else you might get a McDaniels, Gase or Nagy type situation. I don't think Daboll or Bienemy land anything this cycle. 

Compared to how much successful defensive coordinators have been? Compared to how much more successful college coaches have been? 

I'm secretly hoping he stays here for a couple of years to pad his resume and help us get a ring.

Honestly if I'm him I would be very wary of accepting any head coaching position in the AFC West. That division is the new AFC East with the Chiefs/Mahomes there. Yes you have solid building blocks and a very promising looking rookie in Justin Herbert, but do you want to be stuck in a division where you have to play the Chiefs twice a year? With the Broncos and Raiders being okay, but not good enough its going to be a slog to win that division and most years you're looking at a wild card being your best shot to make the postseason.

I voted none for one main reason.

I don’t think there are many jobs he would want to take over staying with the Bills and Josh another year, and in those specific places I think he would have interest, the talk is other options are the front runners.

Just my 2 cents that I don’t think he will just take any job offered to him.  I think he is so close to Josh and this team that it would need to be a job he covets.  And I have a hard time looking at many of the openings as coveted landing spots.  

Edited by Alphadawg7

I have a feeling he goes to Jacksonville. I think they want a QB guru up and coming offensive coordinator from a quality organization. Daboll fits that description. I hope Daboll stays put, since he will likely take some other coaches and staff with him to another org. But that is the cost of success.

Are we SURE Daboll wants to be a head coach? He's already seen the experience of Josh McDaniels leaving the Patriots...then returning. That was a disaster. He'd also be replacing the same guys that were the hot coordinators three and four years ago. Most of those first stints do not go well.

But moreover - again with his Pats experience - I'm wondering if he's thinking the Bills can be dynastic with Allen, so why leave? It could go on for a decade. The Pegulas can pay him whatever they choose, of course. And, of course, he's a WNY native. 

Edited by theRalph

5 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

I don’t think there are many jobs he would want to take over staying with the Bills and Josh another year, and in those specific places I think he would have interest, the talk is other options are the front runners.

Just my 2 cents that I don’t think he will just take any job offered to him.  I think he is so close to Josh and this team that it would need to be a job he covets.  And I have a hard time looking at many of the openings as coveted landing spots.  

These jobs aren't that undesirable. The Jags have Lawrence and a ton of cap space, their ownership is not cheap. They also have an extra 1st in 2021 from the Rams. The Chargers have a promising young QB and solid pieces. The Jets have pick 2 and Darnold along with a pair of extra firsts from Seattle and ownership that isn't cheap. Houston has one of the top QB's in the game and low short term expectations. 

I agree that some of these situations that aren't the best. Philly and Detroit are bad situations in my opinion. Philly has an odd QB situation and they are really cap strapped. Detroit has a average vet QB with a bad cap situation, not exactly thrilling.  Atlanta has a better than average vet QB but their cap situation is a mess. Houston has one of the best QB's in the game but they have no picks in the first two rounds and their cap situation isn't that great. 

Overall I think that there still are only 32 of these HC jobs and you might be hot as a coordinator one year and then fall off in the next. I do agree Daboll has no issues staying with Buffalo if he doesn't like the fit but I think he would take 3-4 of these situations.

1 hour ago, Bangarang said:

Do people really believe he would waste time interviewing for HC jobs if he wasn’t serious about being a HC?

Don't believe it has anything to do with his being serious. He spent prob less than an hour with each. It may prod the Bills to give him HC level money and an asst. title.

2 hours ago, buffaloboyinATL said:

Is Bill O'Brien in the mix for any of these gigs or is the shine off of him right now after the Texans debacle?  Gonna head to Mama for a bit to get the NFL stink off of him?

OC at Alabama now. 

• Like (+1) 1

I voted for "none."Perhaps a wild take but i don't get the impression he's a guy who has a burning passion to be an NFL head coach.  He's been part of extremely successful programs prior to Buffalo and could have been in the interview circuit a lot sooner than 2021.  Plus, when push comes to shove, the Pegulas will find a wheelbarrow and fill it with cash if necessary.  

I don't see Bieniemy leaving KC.  He's Andy Reid's heir apparent there and KC is a model franchise for stability.   

2 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

I can’t shake the idea that most of these guys work the way they do because of ambition. 

it’s rare to see and OC rise up that fast, then decide...  I’m good. 

Daboll is hot right now, maybe as he will err be. If he clicks with an owner and can do things his way, likes the prospect at QB, which there are several interesting situations, how does he not take a shot??