Jets hire Robert Saleh as HC

YoloinOhio

35 minutes ago, PetermansRedemption said:

It would make sense to assume the defensive side of the ball would be his strength, no?

It would make sense that he would be overseeing a whole team and a good offense would be beneficial to him and his team, no?

8 hours ago, syhuang said:

The latest rumor is that they have a deal in place...

Wow...I expected the Lions to have the inside track with Saleh since he grew up in Dearborn, Michigan and still has family there.  Dearborn is within spitting distance of the Lions’ practice facility in Allen Park.  The Lions are an atrocious organization but I’m not sure the Jets are much better.   Interesting to say the least...

I was hoping for his sake that he got the Lions job. Talk about a total screw up by that organization.

Fans clamoring for the guy. Local guy. Top candidate. QB in place, just need to fix the defense. 

No worries about fans accepting the move and buying in; in fact, it would have built some excitement and good will.

And he goes to the Jets because they sat around and did nothing! LOL

Edited by TheFunPolice

4 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I have heard that from another source as well. As Russ would have said "don't let him out of the building."

I'm a bit disappointed. Think it is a good hire. 

I don’t think it’s a good hire at all. He doesn’t have an HC experience and he doesn’t have a team and has a QB bust who appears to have zero confidence. That’s a recipe for disaster 

1 minute ago, BuffaloBills1998 said:

I don’t think it’s a good hire at all. He doesn’t have an HC experience and he doesn’t have a team and has a QB bust who appears to have zero confidence. That’s a recipe for disaster 

and you've got a fanbase in Detroit starting petitions for them to hire the guy. 

If you're Saleh, Detroit is a MUCH better job for tons of reasons, not the least of which is a QB who can play. 

6 minutes ago, BuffaloBills1998 said:

Sean McDermott had no experience and was walking into Tyrod Taylor and a roster of guys he didn't want. Leadership is the #1 requirement of a Head Coach. I think Saleh demonstrates those sorts of leadership qualities when you watch him on the sideline and listen to him in the media and the way he has kept demanding the best out of his injury hit group. 

I really wanted them to hire a Head Coach who was a glorified offensive coordinator to "fix the offense" rather than a guy to fix the culture. That would have been a recipe for disaster. Not saying Saleh will definitely work out. Who knows? But he is the right kind of hire for that franchise at this point IMO. 

Edited by GunnerBill
  • Like (+1) 3

10 minutes ago, TheFunPolice said:

and you've got a fanbase in Detroit starting petitions for them to hire the guy. 

If you're Saleh, Detroit is a MUCH better job for tons of reasons, not the least of which is a QB who can play. 

Well he hasn’t signed yet and I read he’s the Jags plan B in case Meyer walks away which I think he will

18 minutes ago, BuffaloBills1998 said:

Well he hasn’t signed yet and I read he’s the Jags plan B in case Meyer walks away which I think he will

Urban Meyer will quit in a year or two. The guy is just not someone you plan on for the long haul.

These big-time college coaches seem to struggle to adjust, although I will say that Saban was 15-17 and Chip Kelly was 26-21 in 3 years with Philly. Chip especially was more an issue of personality, because he did have a winning record there. 

Saban came from the pros and would do just fine there again, if he really wanted to. But he has such a good thing going in Alabama, where he is revered and wins almost every single game because he can scoop up any recruit he wants, so why leave that?

It would be like having twice the salary cap of every other NFL team and just signing anyone you want. 

Edited by TheFunPolice

25 minutes ago, TheFunPolice said:

The fact that politicians are pressuring the Lions to hire Saleh is a negative.  I would take him off the list if I was in charge.  If you let them think they can run your team it will never stop.

• Like (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, Just Joshin' said:

The fact that politicians are pressuring the Lions to hire Saleh is a negative.  I would take him off the list if I was in charge.  If you let them think they can run your team it will never stop.

I could certainly see that. That's a  good point.

1 minute ago, Jpsredemption said:

Time will tell. And I wasn’t exactly thinking we’d be where we are today 4 years ago when we hired McD...but if I were a Jet fan I’d want offense and I’d be a bit disappointed. But Saleh deserves a shot so we will see. 

I loved the McDermott hire and I like the Saleh hire for the Jets. I spent years thinking "we need a coach to fix the offense" or "we need a guy to fix the defense" and then I met a guy who used to be a position coach in the league and he said to me "Forget all that it. A Head Coach, especially when new, has so much to do that even if they are brilliant at one side of the ball the likelihood they have time to really focus on that is slim. The best Head Coaches are the best leaders." That really changed my outlook on Head Coaching hires.

1 minute ago, GunnerBill said:

I loved the McDermott hire and I like the Saleh hire for the Jets. I spent years thinking "we need a coach to fix the offense" or "we need a guy to fix the defense" and then I met a guy who used to be a position coach in the league and he said to me "Forget all that it. A Head Coach, especially when new, has so much to do that even if they are brilliant at one side of the ball the likelihood they have time to really focus on that is slim. The best Head Coaches are the best leaders." That really changed my outlook on Head Coaching hires.

Agreed! The Bills just had the most productive seasons for a WR and QB in franchise history. With the "defensive minded" McDermott. Every so often you still see those conservative tendencies show themselves for a bit, then it's like he snaps out of it and puts the pedal to the metal again. 

Same with how NE went from "shutdown the other team and win 17-13" to "score 50 points a game" under Belichick. 

Great coaches know both sides of the ball. Saleh has shown himself to be a very good defensive coach. It will be interesting to see his approach to the entire team.