Jets hire Robert Saleh as HC

YoloinOhio

Saleh is a terrific coach and the Jets already have a strong Defense with good personnel. But, if I'm the Jets I look for a HC who can develop Darnold and drastically improve that Offense. They'll have Draft picks and money, so they need to ensure Darnold's improvement. Pederson might be just the guy or if Saleh has a really strong OC as a candidate in his mind, that might be a good formula as well: build on the strength of the team and put an Offensive expert in total control of that side of the ball. 

Just not sure who that OC would be to complement Saleh or any other Defensive minded / talented HC. I'm sure they're out there, I just have paid much attention. I've gotten used to this making the post-season and focusing on winning thing.....

11 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Also heard they will be heavy after Pederson

They should (obviously) want Daboll considering that they are either keeping Darnold, drafting Justin Fields, or both.  The most important thing they can do is to take the next three years to "build" their next QB, just like Daboll did with Allen.  But, of course, this is the Jets, so they're screw it up somehow or other.  

7 minutes ago, SectionC3 said:

They should (obviously) want Daboll considering that they are either keeping Darnold, drafting Justin Fields, or both.  The most important thing they can do is to take the next three years to "build" their next QB, just like Daboll did with Allen.  But, of course, this is the Jets, so they're screw it up somehow or other.  

The media scrutiny in the Big Apple is too intense....The same media in Buffalo is usually sleeping on the wheels...

25 minutes ago, Coach Tuesday said:

Saleh as HC, Pederson as OC would be a good outcome for them.

I tend to agree with a theory posited by Rapsheet on Pat McAfee's show the other day - Pederson would not have dug his heels in if he did not have a good idea that he had HC options elsewhere. I wouldn't be surprised to hear he signs as HC somewhere he as connections without a lot of heads up.

• Like (+1) 1

37 minutes ago, Billzgobowlin said:

Please go after Pederson.  His one season they were really good was imo because of Frank Reich.  He leaves and their offense goes in the dumps.

His work with Wentz speaks for itself.  Completely agree with you.  His work with his assistant in KC also speaks for itself.  Undisciplined, lousy leader.  Hope they hire him. 

• Haha (+1) 1

51 minutes ago, Billzgobowlin said:

Please go after Pederson.  His one season they were really good was imo because of Frank Reich.  He leaves and their offense goes in the dumps.

They also let their bullpen QB walk ;)

20 minutes ago, ndirish1978 said:

I tend to agree with a theory posited by Rapsheet on Pat McAfee's show the other day - Pederson would not have dug his heels in if he did not have a good idea that he had HC options elsewhere. I wouldn't be surprised to hear he signs as HC somewhere he as connections without a lot of heads up.

Or his agent Bob LaMonte has overplayed his hand yet again.

1 hour ago, BigBuff423 said:

Saleh is a terrific coach and the Jets already have a strong Defense with good personnel. But, if I'm the Jets I look for a HC who can develop Darnold and drastically improve that Offense. They'll have Draft picks and money, so they need to ensure Darnold's improvement. Pederson might be just the guy or if Saleh has a really strong OC as a candidate in his mind, that might be a good formula as well: build on the strength of the team and put an Offensive expert in total control of that side of the ball. 

Just not sure who that OC would be to complement Saleh or any other Defensive minded / talented HC. I'm sure they're out there, I just have paid much attention. I've gotten used to this making the post-season and focusing on winning thing.....

Adam Gase would be a good choice! 

It is tougher to find that guy as it basically is either going to be some up and coming position coach with likely limited to no experience as a coordinator or someone who was fired.  For any existing coordinator it's a lateral move, so not likely to generate interest and his existing team can block it.  Then if you're hiring a defensive guy, would you really want to trust the offense to someone who's never called plays.

It's much different than if say Daboll gets a HC job and he asks and is allowed to hire Ken Dorsey as his OC.  He can work closely with him, but if a guy like Saleh is hired as HC, does make it tough to find the right guy for the OC job.

• Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, BigBuff423 said:

Then I believe you are approaching it wrong. Leadership first, leadership above all. I thought the Jets were similarly minded as you.... must be an offensive guy. The fact Saleh is a finalist makes me think maybe they are approaching it the right way after all. 

Don't fixate on a side of the ball. Fixate on a guy you think can lead a programme. 

• Agree 2

1 hour ago, Billzgobowlin said:

I don't understand this at all. Reich had just been fired by SD, and Pederson called the plays in 2017, not Reich. Reich appears to be a good head coach, which I'm happy about, but he was barely more than a glorified Curtis Modkins in 2017. Reich as the genius who made it all happen in 2017 is a myth that deserves to die. The reason the Eagles offense was so good that year is because a) they were very talented, b) they had no real injuries except for an aging Jason Peters and Wentz late in the season. They were otherwise stacked, especially on the o-line in terms of both overall talent and depth, and they had a great backup QB.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, dave mcbride said:

I don't understand this at all. Reich had just been fired by SD, and Pederson called the plays in 2017, not Reich. Reich appears to be a good head coach, which I'm happy about, but he was barely more than a glorified Curtis Modkins in 2017. Reich as the genius who made it all happen in 2017 is a myth that deserves to die. The reason the Eagles offense was so good that year is because a) they were very talented, b) they had no real injuries except for an aging Jason Peters and Wentz late in the season. They were otherwise stacked, especially on the o-line in terms of both overall talent and depth, and they had a great backup QB.  

I said it then and I say it now.... Pederson called some great games in the playoffs but that was a Howie Roseman Superbowl win. Top to bottom one of the most talented and deepest rosters I have seen in my time watching the league, everywhere except probably corner was stacked. The defensive and offensive lines were so deep you could make a starting line for almost any other team out of their 2nd strings.  

• Like (+1) 3