Chris Simms Unbuttoned on Colts-Bills: he's worried about us

1 minute ago, SCBills said:

I find that people rarely take the rational approach to Lamar Jackson:

Some just pretend he's terrible.  He's not.

Some want to prop him up like he's an elite QB.  He's not. 

He is a solid QB who happens to be an elite playmaker.  You have to defend him like you would any elite playmaker, while keeping in mind that he can make throws down field when there's a big window.  

A unicorn, for sure.  Take away (or limit) what he does best and live with a big passing play if it comes along.  And move the ball early so they have to throw to keep up. 

1 minute ago, SCBills said:

He is a solid QB who happens to be an elite playmaker.  You have to defend him like you would any elite playmaker, while keeping in mind that he can make throws down field when there's a big window.  

I feel like this comes down to how you define QB.  He plays the position, but does not come anywhere near close to passing at an elite level.  A lot of the time he is the fastest player on the field and can pick up a lot of yards running and he gets easier looks to pass against because of this IMO.  I believe this is why he has respectable TD numbers, his running ability simplifies the back end reads.  His passing numbers are baaaad though <200 per game average and he produced more than 1,100 total yards less than Allen did this year and 12 less TDs even with his rushing factored in.

7 minutes ago, SCBills said:

He is a solid QB who happens to be an elite playmaker.  You have to defend him like you would any elite playmaker, while keeping in mind that he can make throws down field when there's a big window.   That certainly equates to "very good QB" in my eyes.

This. Does he have the cannon that Allen has, or the ability to see a defense like Brady or Manning? No absolutely not. But he is more explosive than agile than Vick and is a good enough passer that you have to keep respecting it. He'll never pick you apart like Ryan or Rodgers, but he doesn't have to. People act like he is Tim Tebow with the way he can throw the ball. He is a much better passer than that. His biggest thorn if you are a defense is that he is so non-traditional, that nobody is built to stop it on a consistent basis. 

Who knows if it is sustainable long term. But it is good enough right now to make Baltimore a dangerous team. 

14 hours ago, Dablitzkrieg said:

He's right.  The defense is going to kill this team if they don't figure it out.  The shallow crosses to Pittman and the TE's were open all day.  Even Lamar can make those throws.  It's tough when you can't affect the QB with pressure

I hate to say it but there’s nothing to figure out we’ve been playing like this must of the year defense is shady at best and no run game until we get new players to fix it will be the same results. This team goes as far as Allen goes if he haves one bad day it’s over who else is going to pick up the slack. But I will say this Allen is a bad man he wouldn’t be denied that game he said I will just do it. Fun times in Buffalo for a long time

• Like (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, SectionC3 said:

Agreed.  Part of the constellation of factors that went Indy’s way.  They had to play a perfect game to win, and they nearly did.  But for what I suspect was a perfect breeze on their missed FG a and the overthrow of Pittman it easily could have been different. 

The throw to Pittman was very difficult as he was backing up and had to be perfect.  Tired of hearing that.

And if someone doesn't miss a block on the Allen Sack/Fumble, the Bills score a minimum of 3 if not a TD and ice the game..... 

There  we're even......😜

11 minutes ago, Billsfan1972 said:

The throw to Pittman was very difficult as he was backing up and had to be perfect.  Tired of hearing that.

And if someone doesn't miss a block on the Allen Sack/Fumble, the Bills score a minimum of 3 if not a TD and ice the game..... 

There  we're even......😜

He backed himself into inaccuracy.  Point is Indy had a game plan that required perfection, and they nearly executed.  Good on them, and good on us for beating them. 

The Bills have two season long issues going into this game.  1.  The Inability to have a sustained running game. 2.  To consistently stop the run on defense.  The offense bailed out the defense by building leads forcing the other team to stop running.  In a close game, they have difficulty.  I doubt one week of practice will solve that issue.  I hope for the best on Saturday.  Jackson is dangerous both as a passer and as a runner.  

Lamar Jackson is 14-2 and 11-5 the last two seasons, the guy is doing something right. What makes him dangerous is you can watch him and 7 of 9 plays a defense will completely stifle him and then boom he makes two 40+ yard plays.

Edited by Like A Mofo
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Hes right, but Beasley and Diggs were playing injured, Brown is not near 100%, and McKenzie wasn't even playing. Bills offense is hobbled. Considering that, offense did a fantastic job vs a very good defense. Bills defense...... same problem as all year. D line sucks and Edmunds is terrible vs the run. Thas far from surprising.

Just listened to a pretty good clip analyzing McD's coaching performance in this game and it was extremely complimentary.  Said he basically baited the Colts into a run-centric approach with the looks they gave on D, and for any team other than Baltimore encouraging teams to run decreases their expected points for the play/game.  Also credited McD with masterful use of timeouts at the end of the game, both forcing the officials to review what SHOULD have been a fumble and then essentially taking five seconds away from the Colts when he called TO before they could snap the ball.  The difference between 19 seconds and 14 seconds left is enormous in a "just need a FG" situation.

Our coach is improving in all aspects of the game.

6 minutes ago, eball said:

Just listened to a pretty good clip analyzing McD's coaching performance in this game and it was extremely complimentary.  Said he basically baited the Colts into a run-centric approach with the looks they gave on D, and for any team other than Baltimore encouraging teams to run decreases their expected points for the play/game.  Also credited McD with masterful use of timeouts at the end of the game, both forcing the officials to review what SHOULD have been a fumble and then essentially taking five seconds away from the Colts when he called TO before they could snap the ball.  The difference between 19 seconds and 14 seconds left is enormous in a "just need a FG" situation.

Our coach is improving in all aspects of the game.

McDermott’s game day coaching has improved enormously.  It’s now right up there with the best in the league. Of course it helps having better players, too....

1 hour ago, ScottLaw said:

There's is no specific blue print to beat the Bills if Allen plays like he's been playing. 

Guy is lights out. 

The Ravens can’t play the Colts gameplan. If they try to play a lot of zone against us we are going to torch them. I think our offence can put up points against them, the D needs to play much better than last week if we are going to win. 

48 minutes ago, Like A Mofo said:

Lamar Jackson is 14-2 and 11-5 the last two seasons, the guy is doing something right. What makes him dangerous is you can watch him and 7 of 9 plays a defense will completely stifle him and then boom he makes two 40+ yard plays.

The only team that has handled Baltimore is the Chiefs. Allen needs to put up lots of points and put Baltimore in a tough spot where they have to abandon the run game. Easier said then done but we are capable of executing that plan. 

I'm tired of this nagging perception that keeps lingering about the Bills being "frauds".

Bills:  Weak for having to lean on Allen to "steal" the game against top defense.

Ravens:  Strong for being able to salvage broken plays with Jackson scrambling for big gains to win against weak defense.

Bills:  Had the game handed to them, got outplayed, deserved to lose, etc.

Other sexy teams:  Heroicly overcome shortcomings, fiercely counterattack aggressive calls by opponents, etc.

Even if we win the Super Bowl, we'll still be the Rodney Dangerfield frauds of the NFL to many.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Like A Mofo said:

agreed. Titans played him well, and they basically made one mistake, and he was gone for a 50-yard TD run. 

7 minutes ago, 1ManRaid said:

I'm tired of this nagging perception that keeps lingering about the Bills being "frauds".

Bills:  Weak for having to lean on Allen to "steal" the game against top defense.

Ravens:  Strong for being able to salvage broken plays with Jackson scrambling for big gains to win against weak defense.

Bills:  Had the game handed to them, got outplayed, deserved to lose, etc.

Other sexy teams:  Heroicly overcome shortcomings, fiercely counterattack aggressive calls by opponents, etc.

Even if we win the Super Bowl, we'll still be the Rodney Dangerfield frauds of the NFL to many.

You can complain about the difference in narrative but every point the talking heads are saying about how the Bills played on saturday is spot on.  Allen is elite and can will the Bills to victory with the passing game but the rest of the team is either mediocre (defense) or putrid (run game).  Our special teams is great though.

14 hours ago, HappyDays said:

Simms is absolutely right. The more I think about the game I more I think the better team lost. Not that the Colts are outright better than the Bills but they were better on Saturday. Several dropped passes that would have gone for big gains. The decision to go for it on 4th down and the dropped TD pass on that play. The dropped interception in the end zone. The missed field goal compared to Bass nailing two difficult field goals. The almost fumble recovery at the end. The Offside on the 4th and short hard count. Any one of those plays goes differently and it's either going to overtime or the Bills lose in regulation. We were inches away from a miserable offseason multiple times and happened to end up on the right side of them all. Allen and Diggs and Davis and Bass each making spectacular plays were the only reason we stayed in the game and managed to steal it.

It was not a catchable ball by Pittman.....  

The interception in the endzone would have been an all-timer and was not a drop.  It was a correct call.

Bills had two drops too at least.

Offside was the only call the Bills got and see my thread on it.....

Oh and three delay of games on Indy that weren't called and big plays on each helped them.

1 minute ago, BuffBillsForLife said:

You can complain about the difference in narrative but every point the talking heads are saying about how the Bills played on saturday is spot on.  Allen is elite and can will the Bills to victory with the passing game but the rest of the team is either mediocre (defense) or putrid (run game).  Our special teams is great though.

Hmm, sounds exactly like what one of the talking heads you mentioned would say.

I'd say our weaknesses are exaggerated, and simply beat a good Colts team that brought it.  Defense had an off game against a good offense, still only gave up 24.

2 minutes ago, 1ManRaid said:

Hmm, sounds exactly like what one of the talking heads you mentioned would say.

I'd say our weaknesses are exaggerated, and simply beat a good Colts team that brought it.  Defense had an off game against a good offense, still only gave up 24.

Oh no you found me out, I'm actually Chris Simms.  And if you have to knock down a hail mary to end the game where you would lose if they caught it for a TD, you didn't "simply" beat anyone.  I would think any Bills fan would know how close they came to disaster after the end of that Arizona game this year.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, BuffBillsForLife said:

Oh no you found me out, I'm actually Chris Simms.  And if you have to knock down a hail mary to end the game where you would lose if they caught it for a TD, you didn't "simply" beat anyone.  I would think any Bills fan would know how close they came to disaster after the end of that Arizona game this year.

When that Hail Mary went up I held my breath. Thought this CAN'T happen 3 times in one season (San Diego game- which didn't cost us)