Chris Simms Unbuttoned on Colts-Bills: he's worried about us

29 minutes ago, Big C said:

Isn’t it amazing that we finally have a QB that can carry the team?

While I largely agree with what he is saying, one thing I do think is that the field position battle can’t possibly be as lopsided as it was this past week. That will make a huge difference.

We knew the Colts had one of the best ST coverage units and I think we tried to do too many things that hurt us and gave us very bad field position. 

The Ravens are coming with the #1 ST unit.  We have to respect that.

• Like (+1) 2

12 minutes ago, Bermuda Triangle said:

In general, I agree with Simms.

If Allen has an off game, we're sunk.  Our team is 100% dependent upon Allen, and if he doesn't deliver a 300+ yd, 65% completion%+, 0 turnover game, we're in big trouble.

When the D has the chance to make a play, they need to seize that opportunity. 

Thsi is true for many of the playoff teams because generally  Franchise QBs are the ones that are playing in the playoffs.... Kansas city and TB are  100% dependent on Mahomes and Brady; so are Green Bay, Kansas City or Baltimore.   Only teams that are less dependent o their QBs are Saints,  Rams and Browns.  But the three of them still have Franchise QBs. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, ganesh said:

Thsi is true for many of the playoff teams because generally  Franchise QBs are the ones that are playing in the playoffs.... Kansas city and TB are  100% dependent on Mahomes and Brady; so are Green Bay, Kansas City or Baltimore.   Only teams that are less dependent o their QBs are Saints,  Rams and Browns.  But the three of them still have Franchise QBs. 

Generally agree with that, but look at Mahomes, as an example.

he threw 2 picks in the Super Bowl last year, but his RB ran for 100+ yards and his D held SF to 20 points.  IMO, it's unlikely that Allen would get such support...heck, our D couldn't hold SF to 20 point this year, without Kittle and Garoppollo. 

• Like (+1) 2

I am sure there are a lot of people who feel the Bills might be in trouble with the Ravens, given the Bills' defensive struggles at times throughout this year and last week. I think the coaches and players are tremendously focused right now, well aware of what they need to do, and will be ready to play a home playoff game with a chance to move on to the AFC championship game. 

26 minutes ago, Bermuda Triangle said:

Generally agree with that, but look at Mahomes, as an example.

he threw 2 picks in the Super Bowl last year, but his RB ran for 100+ yards and his D held SF to 20 points.  IMO, it's unlikely that Allen would get such support...heck, our D couldn't hold SF to 20 point this year, without Kittle and Garoppollo. 

If you took the same approach....Our D held up the colts while we were misfiring...and we did hold them down to 24 points (to 10 points until late in the 4th quarter).  

While the offense was struggling with field position, the defense had their backs to the wall and kept the entire Colts offense down to 10 points in 3 1/2 quarters.   

• Like (+1) 1

Funny how many fans said all of these same things after the game and were chastised for being too negative. If the Colts are a great team, what does that make the Ravens who beat the Colts handily. 

We know the Bills can’t stop the run. They’ve been able to get leads and the other team abandons.

The Bills had no pass rush whatsoever Saturday. None.

We’ve been thin at linebacker all season. 

The Bills at their best are not balanced. They run about 30% of the time and pass the rest. Saturday, we couldn’t just crank up the running game with Allen, Moss and Singletary. Every time we try to get to the edge we lose yards, yet we keep trying it.

Are we just the Steelers with a better QB? 

I don't necessarily agree we were dominated. I mean we held Indy under 3 YPC through 3 quarters of a game where they desperately wanted to run the ball. That doesn't scream domination to me.

Allen had time to throw most of the day. We couldn't run the ball effectively because Buckner kept destroying Morse but that was more of a one on one matchup problem. 

Rivers had a lot of time back there and was able to convert a lot of 3rd downs to keep drives alive. So we definitely need to get better in that area.

• Like (+1) 1

Simms is good to listen to.   If he is critical of the Bills, he is serious , as he is totally supportive of the Bills and Allen in general.  I always listen to him, the latest song and dance thing was stupid, but it was just a play on his man-crush on Allen.  It's ok as it fits, if you've listened to him all season.   Simms is strong and his viewpoints are usually solid.  The guy played the game.  He knows what he is looking at.   

• Like (+1) 1

I heard the Bills players say this team goes as our QB goes plenty of times this year in interviews.

They all know Josh is the straw that stirs the drink. 

Pretty well everyone that has talked about the game has said that Josh was the difference between winning and losing.

The D did just enough to make the 27 points hold up and got lucky on the 4th down play as Pittman had that if it was a better throw from Rivers.

The main thing is the Bills prevailed and they should be ready and execute better against the Ravens  

My response is so what?

if this were Mahomes which he has done

or

brady for the pats like he’s done some games

or

aaron Rodgers of old some ganes

they would be praised and glorified not their team takes down 

whatever I get it they better fix things this week but so what if Allen balked and bailed the team out it’s what stars do right?  From time to time

And the other thing on the run game is, since Mike Tolbert, this Coaching staff has been obsessed with slow plodder 3 yards and a cloud of dust RBs.

Chris Ivory was this, Frank Gore was this, and Zach Moss is this. No explosion at all, not wiggle at all.

They wasted 8-plays in Houston last year on 22 yards from Frank Gore, when it’s not debatable that Yeldon would have been far more productive on 8-touches. Singletary made plays in that game, and he’s stuck in a CJ Spiller-esque time share.

If you’re going to run it, show some confidence and just line up and run it. Singletary has been underutilized his first two years, and is a better playmaker than Moss.

Yeldon has been effective in limited snaps as a runner and receiver and the staff can’t stand him. 

They want slow, pounding running backs.

And that’s why this team has to ditch the run and become their best selves in 4-wide with a back or 5-wide sets abandon the run and throw. 

May not mean much now but Ravens only had 4 first downs and zero points against Colts in the first half, their only points in first half was a scoop and score on D. They also got gifted an INT that wasnt one they eventually scored 2 TDs at the end of the 3rd and in the 4th. That game was much closer than 24-10 Colts also had a turnover on downs in 4th quarter when Reich tried going play action on 4th and inches in the red zone and another turnover on downs on 4th and 5. Colts D pretty much shut the Ravens down most of the game. 

Edited by billybob71

The Bills hadn't played a tough game in almost two months prior to the Colts game. If I had any worry, it was just that. Not being involved in a dog-fight of a game.

Now, we have and I am very confident moving forward.

The Buffalo Bills will be Super Bowl Champions.

Edited by Beast
  • Like (+1) 1

gonna say this again because i think it may have slipped through the cracks. The bills defense had a down game and STILL held the 10th best scoring team in the league to 4 pts below their average. People are acting like our the D is in huge trouble after allowing 24 friggin points.... THATS ABSURD.

.... Lets not forget they had a play stolen from them that would have sealed that game. THEY MADE THE PLAY TO END IT..... like they have numerous times this year. some of you need to get a grip.

• Like (+1) 2

I really have trouble hearing any silver linings from the defense against the Colts.  

They did whatever they wanted.   Slow bleed drives all game until they needed to score quick and then we simply let them do that.  

Rivers missed Pittman on a 4th down TD.  

Rivers missed Pittman on a 3rd down slant that led to a missed FG.  

Sure, we forced them into those downs/distance but their drives stalling were more on two crucial missed throws and a few drops that were 95% on Indy.  

That being said, I think our defense had a bad day by their standards, Indy is a bad matchup for us and they played great.   

I think our defense matches up better against Baltimore and I don’t expect them to get owned like they were on Saturday.  

McDermott and Frazier better be coming up with a plan to combat pulling guards and their fullback as a lead blocker.  Then hem Lamar in the pocket on passing downs.  

Edited by SCBills

10 hours ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

They were open because the DB’s were running into other defenders on those all games. It was bizarre. 

many times saw Tre White pointing frantically and basically looking confused

defenders moving around before snap

not sure why it was not corrected

• Like (+1) 1