Chris Simms Unbuttoned on Colts-Bills: he's worried about us

While i realize that it's a stretch, we need to get Josh a big TE target.  Not sure Knox is Kelce level.  Josh needs a Kelce/Gronk level tight end, apparently we had one [Logan Thomas] and let him get away because we weren't patient.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

29 minutes ago, Dablitzkrieg said:

He's right.  The defense is going to kill this team if they don't figure it out.  The shallow crosses to Pittman and the TE's were open all day.  Even Lamar can make those throws.  It's tough when you can't affect the QB with pressure

Indy laid out the perfect blueprint on how to beat the Bills.  McDermott has to be running film on the players around the clock!

2 minutes ago, BearNorth said:

While i realize that it's a stretch, we need to get Josh a big TE target.  Not sure Knox is Kelce level.  Josh needs a Kelce/Gronk level tight end, apparently we had one [Logan Thomas] and let him get away because we weren't patient.

Yes...a legitimate TE and RB!

• Agree 1

16 minutes ago, 78thealltimegreat said:

I was just thinking what if they put a Najee Harris on this offense geez 

Highly doubt he’ll be there when we pick but he’d make our O sic! Josh, Diggs, Najee, etc. pick your poison. 

Edited by TFBillsfan

Love Simms. 

I thought our D played pretty well for 3 quarters. We gave up more 3rd down conversions than I’d like to see but it’s Phillip Rivers. He’s seen better days but he knows how to read defenses and does it quicker than most.  Like Fitz did to us in week 2.  No matter what we brought, he was going to get rid of the ball.  We held their run game in check until the 4th quarter.  That’s when we got destroyed.

We should sell out to stop Lamar and the run and make Lamar beat us with his arm.  He’s capable, but I think we can string some stops together doing that.  

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Rocket94 said:

Indy laid out the perfect blueprint on how to beat the Bills.  McDermott has to be running film on the players around the clock!

I think that we may have the RB in Williams if his fumbling issues are cured. Would love a big basher like Henry but they are rare specimens, and Josh averages far more yards per play than most RB's

Edited by BearNorth
  • Agree 1

I mostly agree with Sims although we held the Indy rushing to a very solid number for the first 3 quarters.   Had some nice Dback play, but other than that we got so freaking lucky with all the drops they had, it was like the ghost of Ralph was looking down on our defense, running around on the field deflecting passes like the weird dead guy on the subway in the movie Ghost.  He got a hand on that field goal miss too, which was the difference in the game.

It was weird because we felt outplayed but because of the crazy good luck we somehow held the Colts to 10 points after 3 quarters.

It's no secret we have pass rush issues.  I think Trent Murphy will be active this week in hopes of him playing like he did vs Houston last year, which was game changing.  Our offense will do it's thing, but we need some wins in the trenches on defense badly.

Bills have to find a way to stop the Ravens running game and improve their pass rush.  Also need to run more effectively on offense especially if cold or Allen does not have his "A" game.  They can win if they do this.  Not sure the D has the talent though.  Also love Singletary's football IQ, effort, and speed but not big or strong enough to break tackles.  Let's see what happens! 

1 minute ago, Big Blitz said:

Nah..... stopping all the QB runs and not ignoring John Brown could throw off that blue print.  

And better drive starts.  

And we still scored 27 points, enough to win giving up 10 minutes of time of possession....

I’m glad some national media are concerned about the Bills. Seems they have had a lot of positive attention for several weeks. A little humility and digging deep is good for the team. I expect Ravens will be picked by 60% of national media. Might help the Bills play bit looser. 

Edited by QLBillsFan
  • Like (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, BearNorth said:

Josh doesn’t NEED a “best tight end ever”.  That’s a terrible take bro.

logan Thomas is not a Kelce/Gronk.  

Is this post serious?

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

As always with Chris Simms, he tells it like he sees it and this telling is not flattering to the Bills

0) makes a stupid Josh Allen jingle "giddyup giddyup giddyup".  All good!

1) Says that the Bills overall, without Josh Allen, "without a doubt" deserved to lose this game.  Says we don't win this game without Josh Allen or some QB of that nature of whom "there are 3 others of them on the planet" (Mahomes, Rodgers, Watson), that type of guy.  Says we were dominated on both sides of the line of scrimmage, couldn't run, pressure, it didn't matter because Josh Allen was going to make a play.   Talks about the throws to Gabe Davis "are you kidding me" "unbelieveable throw".  Says the game overall was concerning to him about Buffalo because it was too "Josh Allen Centric".  Says straight out "The colts played better, it's just that the best player on the field was wearing #17 - in Blue"

I think he isn't fair to our defense, which did stiffen up and hold in the red zone - stopping the Colts for a FG on their 2nd drive.  They had some short passes defended for no gain and some great run D as well.  Holding Jonathan Taylor to 40 rush yards and the Colts to 55 rush yards in the first half (then only 15 more in the 3rd Q) is some pretty good D.  There was some very strong defensive plays. 

Can't take away, though, that in the first half we had 61 rush yards and 43 of them were Josh Allen.  Not being able to get a yard on 3rd and 1 was of strong concern to me.

2) Very critical of Phillip Rivers for the 4th down throw.  Says he created his own pressure by bailing backwards (instead of stepping up) and giving the DE the angle to rush him, says uncharacteristic for Rivers, he's usually really good about feeling pressure.  There was another close miss by Rivers that he criticizes - I think on their first drive of the 2nd half where they missed a long FG.  I dunno, I know Simms knows his football but I also think it's easy to Armchair Archie a guy when you're not out on the field.  So I kind of feel Rivers should get a little more respect from Simms.

3) Says the win has him worried about the Bills because it was too much depending on Josh Allen.

Point of interest to me:

About 5:20 in starts talking about the Bills Defense.  Says the Colts have balance, and we couldn't go overboard protecting our front in the run because the Colts pass.  Says they exposed us with the same 3 pass patterns all day - a shallow cross underneath, then either a slot corner route or a crosser that came from the other side and ended up in the same place.  Says they attacked the same two areas all day, 15 yds down the field just on the edge of the numbers, and the crosser, and if one wasn't open the other was.  (I'm thinking this was detecting and dissecting the edges of our zones). Says when we played two deep safeties in the 4th, the Colts exploited that and ripped off deep runs.  

The only note of hope he sounds is that with Baltimore, if we have less pass game to worry about, we can play the run better.

I wonder myself if the Colts noticed patterns in our zone coverage that we could shift or redo to take away "tells" in a relatively short time.  Maybe one of our former players or coaches here could help me out here?

Anyway, really good listen.

He's right about everything, but one big thing he's missing is the field position in the first half. It had a huge impact. Normal field position and we are likely up at least 2 scores at halftime.

• Agree 1

9 minutes ago, NewEra said:

Josh doesn’t NEED a “best tight end ever”.  That’s a terrible take bro.

logan Thomas is not a Kelce/Gronk.  

Is this post serious?

Brady has a Gronk.  Mahomes has a Kelce. Rodgers has Tonyan - 11 TD's. Yup Josh needs a great tight end.  Not sure Knox is the guy. Knox had under 300 yards and 3 TD's with the best QB arm in the league.  Thomas had 72 catches, 670 yards and 6 td's with a collection of rag arm QB's.

Edited by BearNorth
  • Like (+1) 1

I think we need a bit more Klein up around the LOS. He brings a-lot to the table in that role. Almost like he’s a 5th DLineman and probably our best pass rusher. That was a nice wrinkle in this defense. Seems like we got away from it once 58 came back. I also would like to see Dodson active. There’s no reason to not be able to dress our 4 best LBs. Sometimes I think we worry a little to much about ST and end up cutting it short in some really key areas. 49/58/54/53 all should be active ever game.

• Like (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, Rocket94 said:

I’m not sure the Ravens can execute the same blueprint. But I’m sure whatever plan they use will be a helluva challenge to defend.