Chris Simms Unbuttoned on Colts-Bills: he's worried about us

I'm with all the people who are worried about RB.  The Bills seem to value elusiveness, patience, pass-catching ability and vision.  I did a little digging and it looks like both RBs are modern takes on Kevin Faulk.  Same size, same skill set, but we don't have Dante Scarnecchia's OLines. 

We might need a big, fast, one-cut Correy Dillon type guy that hits the first piece of daylight he sees like a truck.  Moss wants to be that guy and runs like it, but I don't think he's got the power and size to pull it off.

The lines are gonna get some attention this offseason thanks to this playoff run.

• Like (+1) 1

27 minutes ago, Beast said:

The Bills hadn't played a tough game in almost twp months prior to the Colts game. If I had any worry, it was just that. Not being involved in a dog-fight of a game.

Now, we have and I am very confident moving forward.

The Buffalo Bills will be Super Bowl Champions.

Agreed.  Here's another reality.  We played a stinker on Saturday in which our lines "lost" during the first three quarters and really "lost" during the fourth quarter.  Field position was horrible all day long, in large part to at least one dumb decision by Roberts.  D couldn't get off the field on third downs.  John Brown was a negative.  Game plan might have been a little better (use McKenzie a bit to at least get them thinking and maybe make their D-line run side to side and get a little more tired?).  I don't even think Allen was all that sharp, honestly. (The toe-tappers to Davis were kind of lucky and inflated both our score and his stats.)  And yet we still won.  

Basically, this year, we learned that the way to beat us is through a balanced attack and to have our offense have a stinker.  Tennessee wrote the script.  Arizona, although an unlucky loss, was similar.  Our troubles really arise when we play a team like the Titans where we have to sell out to stop the run and the QB is good enough to beat us otherwise.  KC and first NE games were affected by weather and injury, and I don't think they speak to the formula to beat us. 

So, long story short, yes we were bad on Saturday, but I completely agree with you.  Now we're used to being in a tough game again, and we won in spite of turning in a clunker.  Let's make Lamar beat us through the air and see what happens.  Let's also see how true they are to their principles - bring on the blitz, and let's let Allen throw it around all day. 

9 minutes ago, Coffeesforclosers said:

I'm with all the people who are worried about RB.  The Bills seem to value elusiveness, patience, pass-catching ability and vision.  I did a little digging and it looks like both RBs are modern takes on Kevin Faulk.  Same size, same skill set, but we don't have Dante Scarnecchia's OLines. 

We might need a big, fast, one-cut Correy Dillon type guy that hits the first piece of daylight he sees like a truck.  Moss wants to be that guy and runs like it, but I don't think he's got the power and size to pull it off.

The lines are gonna get some attention this offseason thanks to this playoff run.

Although he was a lousy run defender, we miss Jordan Phillips's pressure more than people realize.  We also need someone--anyone--who can anchor.  Not having Star hurts.  

• Like (+1) 2

10 hours ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

I have said this since the KC game—

our defense can basically focus on and stop one thing. They aren’t good enough to stop balanced attacks.  And when the Bills get a lead, it’s great— because they just focus on playing the pass. 

The good news is that there aren’t a ton of balanced offenses left— KC, GB, and maybe NO? Everyone else is pretty run or pass heavy. 

I think this nails it, although I'm not sure if it's personnel or approach that determines this outcome. In the Colts game, it's like the coaches decided that they had to stop Taylor at all costs, much like they stopped Henry and (pretty much) Mahomes. As you say, the good news is that not many teams left have the balance the Colts have. Baltimore may be the most unbalanced team of all. Please tell me if you think I'm wrong, but it seems to me that if Jackson isn't allowed to run at all, they lose. If this is the case, then the Bills' formula should work, provided the Bills offense holds up its side of the bargain. 

• Agree 1

Love the talk...Sims is so great, most of it is spot on...though honestly, most of the teams "lean" on abilities of stars and win becuase of franchise QB. ( see Jackson in Balt game) Cant downplay the grit of WRs and oline in the championship equation. 

This is why folks want franchise QBs.

Buff is 7-0 versus top 10 Ds. So theres that.

He missed one huge flaw in his analysis, the defensive problem was mainly caused by an inability to get consistant pressure. Blitzes did not hit home, base rush ineffective. Whatever we did to adjust did not work. This was a huge shocker to me...versus an immobile ( yet pocket patient) QB.

Colts Oline played off their gourd. We've generally got pressure on every QB and failed on saturday.

So not an unfixable exploit per say..etc...and requires a lot of moving pieces to replicate. Also got to have a great QB who can read defenses, good RB.

Edited by RichRiderBills
  • Like (+1) 2

33 minutes ago, SCBills said:

I really have trouble hearing any silver linings from the defense against the Colts.  

They did whatever they wanted.   Slow bleed drives all game until they needed to score quick and then we simply let them do that.  

Rivers missed Pittman on a 4th down TD.  

Rivers missed Pittman on a 3rd down slant that led to a missed FG.  

Sure, we forced them into those downs/distance but their drives stalling were more on two crucial missed throws and a few drops that were 95% on Indy.  

That being said, I think our defense had a bad day by their standards, Indy is a bad matchup for us and they played great.   

I think our defense matches up better against Baltimore and I don’t expect them to get owned like they were on Saturday.  

McDermott and Frazier better be coming up with a plan to combat pulling guards and their fullback as a lead blocker.  Then hem Lamar in the pocket on passing downs.  

did whatever they wanted yet scored a whopping 24 pts. 4 less than their average. qb's miss passes man. it happens.

The moral of the story is, even if we all agree they D had a less than stellar day, they gave up 24.... 24 points to a top ten offense. nothing to panic about.

Edited by Stank_Nasty

16 minutes ago, SectionC3 said:

Agreed.  Here's another reality.  We played a stinker on Saturday in which our lines "lost" during the first three quarters and really "lost" during the fourth quarter.  Field position was horrible all day long, in large part to at least one dumb decision by Roberts.  D couldn't get off the field on third downs.  John Brown was a negative.  Game plan might have been a little better (use McKenzie a bit to at least get them thinking and maybe make their D-line run side to side and get a little more tired?).  I don't even think Allen was all that sharp, honestly. (The toe-tappers to Davis were kind of lucky and inflated both our score and his stats.)  And yet we still won.  

Basically, this year, we learned that the way to beat us is through a balanced attack and to have our offense have a stinker.  Tennessee wrote the script.  Arizona, although an unlucky loss, was similar.  Our troubles really arise when we play a team like the Titans where we have to sell out to stop the run and the QB is good enough to beat us otherwise.  KC and first NE games were affected by weather and injury, and I don't think they speak to the formula to beat us. 

So, long story short, yes we were bad on Saturday, but I completely agree with you.  Now we're used to being in a tough game again, and we won in spite of turning in a clunker.  Let's make Lamar beat us through the air and see what happens.  Let's also see how true they are to their principles - bring on the blitz, and let's let Allen throw it around all day. 

Although he was a lousy run defender, we miss Jordan Phillips's pressure more than people realize.  We also need someone--anyone--who can anchor.  Not having Star hurts.  

Agreed.  We've got a "finesse" LB group, which is just fine in the modern NFL.  You'd rather have your guys swatting passes than producing TFL these days.  But the DL has to keep them clean and develop pressure from the interior.

Just now, Coffeesforclosers said:

Agreed.  We've got a "finesse" LB group, which is just fine in the modern NFL.  You'd rather have your guys swatting passes than producing TFL these days.  But the DL has to keep them clean and develop pressure from the interior.

To me inside pressure is the key with this group.  Hughes pressures, but doesn't get home.  Addison is hit and miss.  Johnson hasn't earned the snaps.  I think Epenesa will be much better next year, but I'm worried about him getting pinned and losing the edge this week.  I'd play Murphy in his place.  But the problems with the ends aren't as serious if we can get a little bit of pressure in the middle.  Unfortunately we're wearing Oliver out having him play 1 sometimes because Star opted out and Butler is inconsistent.  That's basically the problem with the whole thing.  They miss star and they miss Jordan Phillips in a big way. 

Just now, SectionC3 said:

To me inside pressure is the key with this group.  Hughes pressures, but doesn't get home.  Addison is hit and miss.  Johnson hasn't earned the snaps.  I think Epenesa will be much better next year, but I'm worried about him getting pinned and losing the edge this week.  I'd play Murphy in his place.  But the problems with the ends aren't as serious if we can get a little bit of pressure in the middle.  Unfortunately we're wearing Oliver out having him play 1 sometimes because Star opted out and Butler is inconsistent.  That's basically the problem with the whole thing.  They miss star and they miss Jordan Phillips in a big way. 

And I'll add, Quinton Jefferson seems like a great guy, but I'm not sure that he's had the effect that they had hoped.  So, basically, a bunch of problems came together at one time and forced McD and Frazier to hold the thing together with gum and dental floss this year.  Hence Oliver seeing time at 1 and Justin Zimmer seeing meaningful snaps. 

What a GLORIOUS day it is when we are at the point that our worry is "Our Franchise QB carried us to a playoff victory all on his own".

WOW what a long way we've come. Frankly, I love to see it. It wont be every game, but it's good to know we have the QB in place to step up when it is needed.

• Like (+1) 2

11 hours ago, zow2 said:

- Every Colts drive went across the 50 and into Bills territory. and they lost. 

I feel like they started on the 40 every freaking drive, so no shocker they got over the 50!  Let's hope we can control that field position game this weekend... :beer:

• Like (+1) 2

10 hours ago, TFBillsfan said:

I really like Motor and Moss, but adding a dynamic RB to this offense next year is a must. Makes our offense even more potent! Hopefully Motor has a strong game against the Ravens.

I am fully on board with this.  Thought about it a little yesterday and I am just not sure where they get that player.   Its not a great runningback class, and Kenyan Drake is probably the best player in free agency.  I wonder if there is anyone we can bring in via trade?

Nothing he said is wrong, but that doesn't necessarily mean it'll be the case this week and that's what we're hoping for. Relative to our usual, that was a very bad performance for this team propped up by Allen playing lights out and the Colts pass catchers dropping timely passes. We almost always play better than we did this past week and that'll be required to advance to the AFC Championship.

9 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Well, the Browns put up 48 points on Sunday and won, so if we look like the Browns that would be good with me.

I never like the "if only for this play" and "if only for that play" game, because the fact is, when one play changes the whole game changes.

We, too, had our "if only for this play" chances to alter the course of the game - if a potential interception doesn't go right through Hyde's hands.  If the officials don't miss a blatant face-mask on Andre' Roberts but call a hold so we start on the 6 yd line (or even better, if Roberts decides to let it be a touchback so we start on the 25 yd line).  If the fumble our D forced is actually ruled a fumble.  Etc etc etc. 

I'm a Bills fan and I am by no means doom and gloom. I was confident in getting to the AFC Championship before last week. It's the playoffs and I'm grateful we won, but anyone that thinks that game wasn't a step back is diluting themselves. The odds of those kicks being missed is slim and that receiver was WIDE OPEN. These are not subjective plays. It's ok to criticize your team, really it is. It doesn't mean it has to be the same way next week but there was hesitation all over the place and it came from the booth. They can be better and the "process" apply' s to them too. I would be shocked if McDermott wouldn't agree. I've seen a lot of self reflection and growth from this staff. Remember how horrible he used to be with time outs and 4th downs? Now he's tip of the spear. Maybe it's a good thing. If they learned from it. But it was less then their best

The Browns smoked a joke of team that we were all hoping to play. The Browns have been marginal most of the season. Yes, I too would love it if Baltimore mailed it in like the Stealers. I think we all know that's unlikely. 

If this team plays like it did the last 6 weeks of the season I think we win comfortably, if they play like we did Saturday we loose and probably by a lot. 

36 minutes ago, Stank_Nasty said:

did whatever they wanted yet scored a whopping 24 pts. 4 less than their average. qb's miss passes man. it happens.

The moral of the story is, even if we all agree they D had a less than stellar day, they gave up 24.... 24 points to a top ten offense. nothing to panic about.

I honestly don’t understand this line of thinking.  

Keep in mind, I’m not a complete hater of our defense as I believe they will be better against the Ravens, both due to style and simply playing better. 

The Colts scored 24 because they had the ball for 2/3 of the game.   It’s hard to score a ton when you have 5-8 minute drives, every time, until they needed urgency, and then they simply sliced through the D like a hot knife through butter.  

First team to have 450+ yards, no turnovers, and lose.   

Every meaningful drive went into our side of the field.  

Edited by SCBills

7 minutes ago, SCBills said:

I honestly don’t understand this line of thinking.  

Keep in mind, I’m not a complete hater of our defense as I believe they will be better against the Ravens, both due to style and simply playing better. 

The Colts scored 24 because they had the ball for 2/3 of the game.   It’s hard to score a ton when you have 5-8 minute drives, every time, until they went down by 14, and then they just sliced through the D like a hot knife through butter.  

and i dont understand yours. i dont care how long they possessed the ball. the d gave up 24 points. thats merely an average output in todays NFL. AGAIN, for as sub-par as we both felt they played, they held a top ten scoring team to 4 pts below their average and made the play at the end of the game that should have sealed it(fumble). So how awful were they really? come on, man...... also FTR, the colts possessed it for 34 minutes. 6 mins shy of the 40 it would take to have it for 2/3's

Edited by Stank_Nasty

10 minutes ago, Stank_Nasty said:

and i dont understand yours. i dont care how long they possessed the ball. the d gave up 24 points. thats merely an average output in todays NFL. AGAIN, for as bad as the D was, they held a top ten scoring team to 4 pts below their average and made the play at the end of the game that should have sealed it(fumble). 

Agree to disagree.  They came into that game wanting to minimize possessions, bleed clock and make good use of every chance they had.  

They scored 24, possessed the ball for 2/3rds of the game, never turned it over and moved into our side of the field, which - at the very least - kept us pinned back on offense.  

They did everything they wanted on O, except for self inflicted wounds on two critical missed throws by Rivers, drops to open guys in the flat and a missed chip shot FG.

Then, when we went up by 14, I figured hey.. at least it takes them forever to  move the ball and the clock is not their friend in the 4th Q... nope... they then just moved the ball like the greatest show on turf. 

Edited by SCBills

6 minutes ago, Stank_Nasty said:

i dont care how long they possessed the ball.

I think you should care because every second they have it, Josh Allen does not.

That affects the entire game, not just the BillsD vs ColtsO matchup.

• Like (+1) 4