Lack of pass rush non factor vs ravens?

Hebert19

I recall last year we basically didn't come that hard with the front 4.   Just had discipline with our assignments on the edges and tried to push the middle of the pocket.  Throw in a couple delayed blitzes and that was the gameplan.   Give him some time to throw but don't let him run.   He seems to make his big plays on the ground when he escapes the pass rush...

I can see us employing similar gameplan.  Drop 6 or 7 back to make sure he doesn't run and throw in some timely blitzes.  

Thoughts. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 4

1 minute ago, Hebert19 said:

I recall last year we basically didn't come that hard with the front 4.   Just had discipline with our assignments on the edges and tried to push the middle of the pocket.  Throw in a couple delayed blitzes and that was the gameplan.   Give him some time to throw but don't let him run.   He seems to make his big plays on the ground when he escapes the pass rush...

I can see us employing similar gameplan.  Drop 6 or 7 back to make sure he doesn't run and throw in some timely blitzes.  

Thoughts. 

They were out of that game until he escaped a sack and ran for a touchdown. 

Edited by jeremy2020
  • Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, SageAgainstTheMachine said:

Yeah, you can maybe find very limited (I'm talking 2 or 3 here) times where extra pressure makes sense but getting edge players up-field of Lamar is drinking poison.

Not sure if you were responding to my post, but I said 'slightly" up field (like a step or 2)... enough to turn Lamar inwards if he tries to go outside. I agree.. going way up field on the edge would be futile.

3 minutes ago, BuffaloBillies said:

Yep. Turn a weakness into a strength. Maintain your space to limit big gaps. DE/Edge players play up field slightly to contain/prevent outside run escape.

Put Tre on Hollywood all game. Put a LB with safety help on Andrews. Make Lamar beat us passing to Boykins, Ricard, and Sneed.

Personally, I’d put Wallace on Hollywood. Wallace usually only has problems with bigger, physical WRs. Hollywood is small. Tre on Andrews???

Just now, HOUSE said:

On the other hand, the Ravens sacked Josh Allen 6 times the last time we played them.

Calais Campbell is gonna be a handful!! Buckner was hurting Morse. 

2 minutes ago, BuffaloBillies said:

Not sure if you were responding to my post, but I said 'slightly" up field (like a step or 2)... enough to turn Lamar inwards if he tries to go outside. I agree.. going way up field on the edge would be futile.

I actually hadn't read your post but it looks like we're saying roughly the same thing.  I still have nightmares of Chris Kelsay losing contain lol.

• Haha (+1) 1

30 minutes ago, Hebert19 said:

Thoughts. 

On a similar note I've often wondered if that's what makes our offensive line so great at pass blocking?  The defenders are afraid to rush to hard for fear of Allen scrambling, but then he does it anyway.

I’ve heard the term “muddle rush” used when defending guys like Lamar, and I’d agree that this should be the game plan. 

Essentially, hem him into the pocket.  

Focus on the run, and in regards to the pass rush, it’s almost a half speed rush where you push the line to a certain depth and form a bubble around the QB, instead of trying to win your matchup and get penetration.  

It requires your secondary to hold up a bit longer, but it’s going to force Lamar to be a passer if done correctly.  

Pepper in some blitz looks - blitz or show blitz and drop.  

Also can green light the pass rush in looks where we have a spy. 

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 1

27 minutes ago, BuffaloBillies said:

Unlike the typical Murphy 10yds past the qb pass rush?

39 minutes ago, Solomon Grundy said:

Personally, I’d put Wallace on Hollywood. Wallace usually only has problems with bigger, physical WRs. Hollywood is small. Tre on Andrews???

Calais Campbell is gonna be a handful!! Buckner was hurting Morse

Watching JC Tretter absolutely pancaking his blocks last night made me envious.....

25 minutes ago, SCBills said:

I’ve heard the term “muddle rush” used when defending guys like Lamar, and I’d agree that this should be the game plan. 

Essentially, hem him into the pocket.  

Focus on the run, and in regards to the pass rush, it’s almost a half speed rush where you push the line to a certain depth and form a bubble around the QB, instead of trying to win your matchup and get penetration.  

It requires your secondary to hold up a bit longer, but it’s going to force Lamar to be a passer if done correctly.  

Pepper in some blitz looks - blitz or show blitz and drop.  

Also can green light the pass rush in looks where we have a spy. 

can you please hop on a Zoom w/ Frazier?

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, BuffaloBillies said:

Yep. Turn a weakness into a strength. Maintain your space to limit big gaps. DE/Edge players play up field slightly to contain/prevent outside run escape.

Put Tre on Hollywood all game. Put a LB with safety help on Andrews. Make Lamar beat us passing to Boykins, Ricard, and Sneed.

Don't forget Dobbins. Can't let him get 150 yds. Also, it would be nice if we did a better job tackling.

57 minutes ago, Rock'em Sock'em said:

My opinion, if you are a step or two past Jackson, then he is also a step or two ahead of you.  And you are not catching him anytime soon.  Make him beat us from the pocket throwing outside.

This.

1 hour ago, SageAgainstTheMachine said:

I actually hadn't read your post but it looks like we're saying roughly the same thing.  I still have nightmares of Chris Kelsay losing contain lol.

That's the problem. We have zero speed from our front 4. So unless we can somehow trap him in the pocket (which might also require a spy) he's at risk of escaping. 

• Like (+1) 1