Colts May Have Been Exactly What the Bills Needed

theRalph

I guess we will know in a few days if this was true or not.

I also think they needed a game like this to get all those mistakes out. Now they know losing and winning in playoffs... Time to get back to dominating.

Edited by TBBills

12 minutes ago, Drew21PA said:

Im expecting a more disciplined defense and keeping Lamar in check this week.  

Hoping Ravens gave it their all to beat a bully last week and MAYBE overlook the Bills and come out as we think they will - behind the bills the entire game and Lamar has to be a QB....and that will prove to be dreadful for the Ravens.

That is my hope anyways.

I don't think they'd overlook.  Maybe there's a let down after last week, but i don't think you get overlooked at 13-3 with like 9 straight wins.  

15 minutes ago, DC Greg said:

Yeah, that's true. They went to sleep a bit after getting up 14. That happened several times early in the year when the offense built a big lead in the first half, too. Haven't seen it in awhile. Hopefully that was the wakeup call they needed. 

It wasn't that they went to sleep. The Colts picked up the pace and stopped grinding clock. They moved the ball the whole game. They just moved it faster in the 4th.

I think this game definitely serves as a wake up call for the defense. The games only get tougher and the stakes only higher. The defense needs to really put in that work this week and be ready for Saturday night. The Titans were one busted play away, where Jackson took off for a 48 yard TD, from being in a tie ballgame. We need to come out, foot on the gas, and pick their defense apart on offense. Our defense needs to rattle LJ's teeth every chance they get. Contain the edges, force everything back inside, and have our 3 (Yes 3) LB's in there to fill the gaps. If we're going to win on Saturday, I think Klein (or Neal) has to play a solid role in that. Just my 2. 

• Like (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, K-9 said:

I don’t know if “stole” is the right word since we scored 27 points in less than 26 minutes. Josh and Co. took full advantage of the limited opportunities they had. And that’s on the Colts. 

15 minutes ago, dollars 2 donuts said:

I can agree with some of your sentiment, Gugny, but I can't agree with "stealing a game" wherein they never trailed during an entire half of football...especially when it is the second half and they had a 2 td lead at one time. 

..and it is not like the refs also did the Bills "a solid" to ensure the victory.

Please let my mind process this the way it wants to.  It's how I build myself up for the next game, goddammit!!!

• Haha (+1) 4

Just now, dollars 2 donuts said:

Respectfully, I would say we got into soft zone and prevent, and then they lit us up.  

😅

Even zone and prevent I am thinking 4-5 minutes time off the clock.

Up 24-10 they ran the ball for like 50 yards on 2 plays in that like 5 play drive.  the next drive they had another huge hines run.  We got away from what we were doing and expected them to attack down the field.

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, Gugny said:

Please let my mind process this the way it wants to.  It's how I build myself up for the next game, goddammit!!!

So that was the grinding sound of rusted gears I heard earlier. 

• Haha (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, H2o said:

I think this game definitely serves as a wake up call for the defense. The games only get tougher and the stakes only higher. The defense needs to really put in that work this week and be ready for Saturday night. The Titans were one busted play away, where Jackson took off for a 48 yard TD, from being in a tie ballgame. We need to come out, foot on the gas, and pick their defense apart on offense. Our defense needs to rattle LJ's teeth every chance they get. Contain the edges, force everything back inside, and have our 3 (Yes 3) LB's in there to fill the gaps. If we're going to win on Saturday, I think Klein (or Neal) has to play a solid role in that. Just my 2. 

Bills gave up a lot of yards, but up 24-10 in 4th. Ravens scored 20 against a D with no pass rush and moderately soft DB’s. Contain Lamar force non TE throws( sure made Colts TE’s look like HOF)and have a shot. Can do all that well and Lamar can still bust a couple. But Colts were very balanced. This is better match up if we can execute the contain as you state above. 

I'm hoping you're right and that in retrospect it looks like a wake up call.  But I don't know if I'll buy it.  I think the Colts game was a fluke based on incredibly bad field position and a couple of stops for the first half.  Maybe it can settle down Josh for the end games of these playoffs but that's about it - this potent offense is still there, it was just unable to be unleashed early on.

The hope is the Ravens don't pin us back so far and the Bills unleash this offense right from the start.  If we put up 40+ points and see if they can keep up.  I don't think they can.

58 minutes ago, Gugny said:

They stole the game from the Colts.  Reich coached himself out of winning the game.  The Bills got away with one and I, too, feel that it will prove to be a good experience for them and that will be the last subpar performance we see from them in this year's post season.

They were just discussing some interesting stats on the radio.

Indy is the only team in NFL postseason history to have over 400 yards offense and no turnovers and lose a playoff game.  Of the teams that had similar stats, they won by an average of something over 20 points! 

(I think I have that more or less right).

Indy had (I believe) 7 trips over the 50 yard line that resulted in zero points.

That's why they lost.

• Like (+1) 1

I think both players and coaches will learn from this game. IMO Dabol was not used to calling plays from deep in his own end. (Remember the fumbled dive up the gut against Pitt). Ran that same play to Moss, one yard. He needs to be more creative/aggressive in those situations- instead we were 3 and out in four out of the first five possessions and no third down conversions in 1st half. That said, if this is their wake up call, bring on the Ravens! 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Gugny said:

They stole the game from the Colts.  Reich coached himself out of winning the game.  The Bills got away with one and I, too, feel that it will prove to be a good experience for them and that will be the last subpar performance we see from them in this year's post season.

45 minutes ago, dollars 2 donuts said:

I can agree with some of your sentiment, Gugny, but I can't agree with "stealing a game" wherein they never trailed during an entire half of football...especially when it is the second half and they had a 2 td lead at one time. 

..and it is not like the refs also did the Bills "a solid" to ensure the victory.

I took his "stealing" in a statistical sense...accurate therein. But stats aren't situational. Plus, if the fumble is correctly adjudicated, this win would feel a touch different and this isn't as much of a discussion.

• Like (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

The possession where they ran the ball 3 straight times in the first half was infuriating(although I think Josh audibles on the 3rd and 1). 

Offseason priority has to be beefing up the lines. I love putting up 40+ in a track meet, but you have to be able to run and stop the run. I’d like to feel a lot more confident on 3rd and short. 

48 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Its crazy to me that our offense wasn’t clicking for many parts of the game but we still put up 27.  

The thing is the offense was clicking fine when we did what got us there. 

When we were passing and let Allen do his thing we were slicing up the D like a hot knife through butter. 

Too many odd playcalls were the reason for the slow start. I truly don’t understand Daboll continuing to ask our 240lb qb to try these sweeps to the outside. Our running backs don’t even have the speed required for those runs. 

People think Reich overcoached, Daboll put him in that position. Game shouldn’t have been as close as it was. 

Edited by Bobby Hooks
  • Like (+1) 1

simms had a good take, we have to guess correctly what the d is gonna do for our scheme to work, because we just lack the beef upfront.  and the simple passes that beat us when we weren't in position obviously burned us.

all that said, our D took a dump entirely on 2 drives, badly timed drives, but just two back to back drives.  they made necessary adjustments and stopped them twice in one drive (thanks refs) right after, so i really think if the d coaches can get that figured out, our d can look like it has for the past 5 weeks.  might get trucked in the odd drive, but slow them down enough to frustrate, and score on O.

as far as baltimore goes, they beat tenn cuz ten had 200 yards total O.  that's awful.

I agree.  I think our team got slapped back to reality a bit.  

Cole Beasley said Indy is the best defense they faced all year.  

Our defense, I sure hope, is ultra focused on making sure they hold up their end of the bargain against the Lamar hype machine.. especially given the massively subpar performance on the field from them Saturday.  

WR’s with another week to get healthy.  

Allen with a playoff win under his belt.  

I hope to see a more effective defense and an aggressive, attacking offense leading to a Bills victory.  

Edited by SCBills
  • Like (+1) 1