Next Season - Potential Coordinators

ngbills

For the sake of having another topic to discuss...Assume Daboll and Frazier both get new jobs. Who are top candidates for OC and DC?

Initial ideas?

OC

Dorsey - Internal

Hall - Internal

Shula - McD connection

Pederson - McD connection

McCoy

Gailey

DC

E Washington - Internal

Babich - Internal

Butler - Internal

Wilks - McD connection

Patricia

W Phillips

G Edwards

D Quinn

Capers

Edited by ngbills

5 minutes ago, ngbills said:

For the sake of having another topic to discuss...Assume Daboll and Frazier both get new jobs. Who are top candidates for OC and DC?

Initial ideas?

OC

Dorsey - Internal

Hall - Internal

Shula - McD connection

McCoy

Gailey

DC

E Washington - Internal

Babich - Internal

Butler - Internal

Wilks - McD connection

Patricia

W Phillips

G Edwards

D Quinn

Capers

I don’t see McDermott take on a wade or Patricia type. The scheme is more his than Frazier’s, and I don’t think he’d want to mess too much with it... 

Wilks is a good call. Also former DB. Sean likes his DBs...

Edited by Over 29 years of fanhood
  • Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Bangarang said:

Seems highly unlikely that we hire guys that run a 3-4 scheme. Also seems highly unlikely that Frazier leaves or is fired. 

As far as OC, a name that crossed my mind recently is Bill O’Brien. He knows our offense. 

Good call on O'Brien. Could see him being looked at as OC or possibly in a consultant role if they give the OC job to Dorsey/Hall. 

2 minutes ago, Bangarang said:

Seems highly unlikely that we hire guys that run a 3-4 scheme. Also seems highly unlikely that Frazier leaves or is fired. 

As far as OC, a name that crossed my mind recently is Bill O’Brien. He knows our offense. 

I can't imagine BoB taking a coordinator job unless it's with the Pats. I think he'd go college HC first. 

5 minutes ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

I don’t see McDermott take on a wade or Patricia type. The scheme is more his than Frazier’s, and I don’t think he’d want to mess too much with it... 

Babich is the internal guy with the most experience. I also would be shocked at a Wade or Patricia type, but on the other hand Frazier was a guy with HC and DC experience. 

10 minutes ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

Agreed, he'd groom someone.  

14 minutes ago, ngbills said:

Initial ideas?

OC

Dorsey - Internal

Hall - Internal

Shula - McD connection

McCoy

Gailey

DC

E Washington - Internal

Babich - Internal

Butler - Internal

Wilks - McD connection

Patricia

W Phillips

G Edwards

D Quinn

Capers

I think Patricia would likely be a pick for daboll - but i suppose i'm not familiar with their relationship.  

I don't think buffalo would be a destination for gailey - and hopefully not McCoy, hes terrible.  I do think there's a chance its dorsey though.  For all the "hes never called plays", he's been a QB coach for like 9 years of his career.  Typically the next step up after QB coach is coordinator.  Worked 2 years under daboll - and like 6 under shula.  

6 minutes ago, ngbills said:

Good call on O'Brien. Could see him being looked at as OC or possibly in a consultant role if they give the OC job to Dorsey/Hall. 

I think he may need to go to college to erase some of the stink on his name. 

Edited by dneveu
  • Agree 2

37 minutes ago, Bangarang said:

Totally agree with your first paragraph, but no way would I want BOB here.  He’s a mercenary who has angled for more power and money at every stop.  He reminds me of coaches like Butch Davis and Doug Marrone.  He’s the opposite of what the new Bills culture is about.  It shouldn’t be a problem anyway because he’s still getting paid large by Houston and isn’t likely to take an OC job for free. 

• Like (+1) 1

40 minutes ago, ngbills said:

Babich is the internal guy with the most experience. I also would be shocked at a Wade or Patricia type, but on the other hand Frazier was a guy with HC and DC experience. 

Difference is Frazier worked with Sean under the late great Jim Johnson. He knew this scheme. If Sean brings a DC in from outside it would likely be someone else who knows the scheme. It won't be a DC who is coming here to run their own system. 

• Agree 2

48 minutes ago, jeremy2020 said:

I can't imagine BoB taking a coordinator job unless it's with the Pats. I think he'd go college HC first. 

I think there might still be a sour taste in peoples’ mouths when it comes to giving him control over an entire roster. No need to worry about that here. 

You could be right though

Edited by Bangarang