Passer Ratings from Wild Card Weekend: Josh Allen is #1

BigBuff423

Its telling that I left the game thinking he played only pretty good.  It clearly was not his best performance and the offense struggled to sustain drives.  But a "pretty good" day for him is 300 yards, 3 TDs, and luckily zero turnovers.  If our run game could pick up 3rd and short that game would have been out of reach in my opinion.

• Like (+1) 4

Just now, Jauronimo said:

Its telling that I left the game thinking he played only pretty good.  It clearly was not his best performance and the offense struggled to sustain drives.  But a "pretty good" day for him is 300 yards, 3 TDs, and luckily zero turnovers.  If our run game could pick up 3rd and short that game would have been out of reach in my opinion.

I thought he was phenomenal without any running game and playing under pressure the entire game. I agree, if they had any running game at all, that game is out of reach by early in the 4th, no matter how well Indy played.

• Like (+1) 1

Allen vs Lamar, and some of it is recency bias with Allen playing Saturday and Lamar yesterday, but the nut hugging for Lamar in this match up is wild based on their respective performances this weekend.  

Lamar had a great running game, much of it coming off the electric 50 yard TD run.  Putting up 20 against a bad defense. 

Allen put up 300+ passing, with a 74% completion percentage, 2 TD’s throwing with 50+ rushing and 1 TD against a top tier defense.  

The story of the Baltimore game was their defense shutting down Henry, and therefore, the Titans, more than it was Lamar Jackson’s play. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 3

25 minutes ago, BuffaloBill said:

We need another magical performance against the Ravens as this will not be an easy matchup for the Bills.

Actually it is a terrible matchup for Baltimore.  If we do what we have done all year to the style of defense they play we will hang 40+ on them.

30 minutes ago, Nextmanup said:

How could Baker Mayfield be ranked second?

I consistently read at this board how terrible he is! 

Congratulations to Josh Allen on being #1.

IMO. Baker is fine .. and he is no longer making bad mistakes. He will not win you a game, but doesn't look like he will lose it for you either. Against Pittsburgh most of his passes were short with YAC and with the big lead, Pittsburgh assumed rightly the Browns would mainly run .. so when the Browns did pass it was easier.

31 minutes ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

Obviously "passer" rating is not QB rating.  To have Jackson near the bottom totally ignores his massive running contribution in that game.

True. But I believe the passer rating does fairly represent his passing in the game.

• Agree 1

4 minutes ago, SCBills said:

Allen vs Lamar, and some of it is recency bias with Allen playing Saturday and Lamar yesterday, but the nut hugging for Lamar in this match up is wild based on their respective performances this weekend.  

Lamar had a great running game, much of it coming off the electric 50 yard TD run.  Putting up 20 against a bad defense. 

Allen put up 300+ passing, with a 74% completion percentage, 2 TD’s throwing with 50+ rushing and 1 TD against a top tier defense.  

The story of the Baltimore game was their defense shutting down Henry, and therefore, the Titans, more than it was Lamar Jackson’s play. 

I didnt follow the titans much, but my titans fan friends indicated they just played down to their opponents all year long - werent surprised they blew it yesterday.  Seemed to be a theme to just not show up some day when needed.

Idk, I didnt necessarily see a team better than the Colts team we played on saturday, but i could be biased?

• Like (+1) 1

You would think that after listening to all the talking heads that Lamar had this phenomenal game and that Josh Allen almost cost the Bills their victory.

It almost seems as if the Bills are the underdogs here and that Josh is still not getting the level of respect he deserves.  If 90% of any of the starting QB's are playing for the Bills this game, they lose.   The reason why the Bills won was because of good situational and red zone defense but more than anything because of Josh Allen.  Not many other QB's can drive the team 96 yards in about 90 seconds right before the end of the half with great passing and running.   The TD pass to Diggs was elite.

• Like (+1) 3

24 minutes ago, Jauronimo said:

Its telling that I left the game thinking he played only pretty good.  

Same here.  Allen played well, and he was the reason we won the game.  But Saturday's performance was kind of so-so relative to the supernatural performance we've grown accustomed to this season.  

It's nice to see a comparison to the other QBs that played this week, even if we all know that the passer rating is a flawed metric.  Good to put things in perspective.

• Like (+1) 2

7 minutes ago, Magox said:

You would think that after listening to all the talking heads that Lamar had this phenomenal game and that Josh Allen almost cost the Bills their victory.

It almost seems as if the Bills are the underdogs here and that Josh is still not getting the level of respect he deserves.  If 90% of any of the starting QB's are playing for the Bills this game, they lose.   The reason why the Bills won was because of good situational and red zone defense but more than anything because of Josh Allen.  Not many other QB's can drive the team 96 yards in about 90 seconds right before the end of the half with great passing and running.   The TD pass to Diggs was elite.

Agreed.

The Colts were getting pressure rushing 4 and Allen was still lighting them up while throwing into flooded zones.  

He also had to sit on the bench and witness our defense slow bleed to death every drive as the game became shorter and shorter.   He will never say it, but you have to think he starts feeling pressure in a game where he sees our defense look incapable of stopping the opponent.

Edited by SCBills
  • Like (+1) 2

6 minutes ago, Magox said:

Yea hes not getting any recognition for that, but Lamar is such a great QB because of a 50 yard run....hmmm why not rip him up when Tennessee MADE HIM BE A QB before they went away from their defensive calls?  

They made him be a QB and well, well well - the WORST pick i have ever seen from an "elite" tier QB.

56 minutes ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

Obviously "passer" rating is not QB rating.  To have Jackson near the bottom totally ignores his massive running contribution in that game.

There’s always been a difference between being a passer and being a quarterback. Some appreciate that nuance more than others. Luckily, Josh is good at both. 

• Like (+1) 2

35 minutes ago, BaaadThingsMan said:

Divorce

Huh?  He got divorced years ago and remarried soon after to Ciara.  He's expecting his 2nd child with her.

33 minutes ago, SCBills said:

Yeah, Lamar was great, limiting the Titans to just 13 points.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1