Eagles fire Doug Pederson

YoloinOhio

2 hours ago, BuffaloRebound said:

well, if he was forced to put in Sudfeld by the higher ups, then my opinion of him would change drastically.  

I think it had more to do with Jalen Hurts.

I don’t think he wanted to bench Wentz and I don’t think he felt Hurts was the answer.  I believe he was told to finally get Hurts some playing time and then he was ticked Hurts looked ok - He decided to play his guy Sudfield as a get back as soon as Hurts struggled.

I think Hurts was thrust on him and it ticked him off enough that he pulled the stunt the last game.

Edited by Rochesterfan

I think he completely lost the locker room after what he pulled in week 17. I think had he just had a regular bad season and they won 4 games and 1 tie they would have brought him back. He had made the playoffs every year from 2017 to 2019. He won the Super Bowl in 2017 and the Eagles won a playoff game in 2018 too. But that week 17 ***** probably really pissed off the players and they aren't going to be able to fully overhaul a roster with a lot of high paid players and an owner looking to compete. 

I expect Pederson to go to the Jets which wouldn't be the worst move.

So here's all the open HC jobs:

Detroit

Atlanta

Philadelphia

Jacksonville

NY Jets

LA Chargers

Houston

Here are the hottest coaching names (in no order):

Brian Daboll

Eric Bieniemy

Robert Saleh

Byron Leftwich

Arthur Smith

Matt Eberflus

Greg Roman

And the B list of guys that may be tied to a specific opening:

Raheem Morris (Atlanta)

Urban Meyer (Jacksonville)

Marvin Lewis

Now add Pederson to the mix

per the ESPN "Matchmaker" game, the best matches by team:

Detroit - Saleh and Lewis B+ lead the way

Atlanta - Morris an A

Philadelphia - Saleh and Eberflus B-

Jacksonville - Leftwich an A, Lewis and Smith A-

NY Jets - Saleh, Leftwich are a B though a lot of chatter for Pederson now

LA Chargers - Daboll, Smith, Bieniemy are As with Leftwich slightly behind A- 

Houston- Bieniemy, Leftwich are As

So if you give the job to the best fit:

Atlanta - Morris

NY Jets - Pederson?

Jacksonville - Leftwich

Houston - Bieniemy

Detroit - Saleh 

Philadelphia - Eberflus? 

Which leaves the Chargers for either Smith or Daboll.

The point here is that probability of Daboll leaving may not be that high, and may be only the Jets and Chargers. It seems like Leftwich, Bieniemy, Saleh and Pederson would fill 4 of the 7, and if Morris gets Atlanta that only leaves 2. If Meyer takes Jacksonville, then it's down to 1 and you've got a lot of guys gunning for either the Chargers or Eagles job.

1 hour ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I actually rather like him?  But I believe the film room reviews that perhaps the play calling had something to do with the Wentz situation

Funny how Lurie and Roseman were geniuses 3-4 years ago

Well, it is Philly media! (Although to be fair the baying critics are in every city.) Still, it sounds like a toxic relationship, and at the end of the day Peterson got them to the playoffs three times and won a Super Bowl in a 3-year period. Their problem has been abysmal drafting and talent acquisition, and that's not his area.

33 minutes ago, jwhit34 said:

Which leaves the Chargers for either Smith or Daboll.

The point here is that probability of Daboll leaving may not be that high, and may be only the Jets and Chargers. It seems like Leftwich, Bieniemy, Saleh and Pederson would fill 4 of the 7, and if Morris gets Atlanta that only leaves 2. If Meyer takes Jacksonville, then it's down to 1 and you've got a lot of guys gunning for either the Chargers or Eagles job.

In my opinion, the Chargers job is by far and away the most appealing one. You have three years of an elite young qb on a rookie contract and an excellent overall talent base. 

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, Paup 1995MVP said:

He is garbage.  Keeps his head stuck in his play sheet all game, and has no idea what's really going on in the game.  Should have been fined and suspended by the league after the nonsense he pulled at the end of the Eagles-Redskins game.  I can not imagine any team will want any part of him.  Good for the Eagles getting rid of him.   

I was thinking the only reason he pulled that stunt during the final game was because they told him he’s safe another year. Given he wasn’t safe, I truly don’t know what he was doing. Unless he just really had a grudge against the Giants. 

I think Philadelphia's ownership is largely correct here and that Philadelphia does not really have a vision. And look to me like Peterson was managing that like a fan instead of trying to put something stable together and it just didn't work. Hurts to me didn't look much better than Wentz outside of his athleticism. 

That being said I think Peterson is an excellent fit for the Chargers job just because quarterback with the physical skills of Herbert fits with the game that he likes to play and because the vision for the Chargers is already there. I also think that particular job is in need of somebody with experience in order to manage game day. They just fired Anthony Lynn because they didn't like his decision making under fire and bringing in somebody who's never been a head coach before runs the risk of doing the same thing. 

Seeing all the names also makes me wonder which one of these candidates is not getting a job, especially considering that a lot of the college coaches haven't actually been talked about as candidates for anything. 

32 minutes ago, PetermansRedemption said:

I was thinking the only reason he pulled that stunt during the final game was because they told him he’s safe another year. Given he wasn’t safe, I truly don’t know what he was doing. Unless he just really had a grudge against the Giants. 

I still think it was a big thumb your nose at management that forced him to bench Wentz and play Hurts.

Might have already been asked here, I didn't search through all the pages. 

What do you guys think the chances are that if Daboll goes, McD reaches in the Andy Reid coaching tree bag and tries to get Pederson here (assuming he doesn't get a HC gig)?

2 minutes ago, delirious said:

Might have already been asked here, I didn't search through all the pages. 

What do you guys think the chances are that if Daboll goes, McD reaches in the Andy Reid coaching tree bag and tries to get Pederson here (assuming he doesn't get a HC gig)?

Edited by delirious

2 hours ago, billsfan89 said:

I think he completely lost the locker room after what he pulled in week 17. I think had he just had a regular bad season and they won 4 games and 1 tie they would have brought him back. He had made the playoffs every year from 2017 to 2019. He won the Super Bowl in 2017 and the Eagles won a playoff game in 2018 too. But that week 17 ***** probably really pissed off the players and they aren't going to be able to fully overhaul a roster with a lot of high paid players and an owner looking to compete. 

I expect Pederson to go to the Jets which wouldn't be the worst move.

This is what I suspect.  At first, I was fine with the move and even argued in favor of being 'smart.  Seeing some player reactions boil to the top changed my mind 180 degrees.  He blew all the trust from the players.  These guys who have a window of about 5 years of earning potential before they get too much brain damage to play were purposefully undermined by the same guy who asks them to give their all every week. 

I'm sure there has been a bunch of behind the scenes grievances aired in the past week.

5 minutes ago, May Day 10 said:

This is what I suspect.  At first, I was fine with the move and even argued in favor of being 'smart.  Seeing some player reactions boil to the top changed my mind 180 degrees.  He blew all the trust from the players.  These guys who have a window of about 5 years of earning potential before they get too much brain damage to play were purposefully undermined by the same guy who asks them to give their all every week. 

I'm sure there has been a bunch of behind the scenes grievances aired in the past week.

It tested the limits of what you can do to benefit yourself draft stock wise. You can't purposefully bag a game and keep your locker room. You can sits guys who are hurt and even sit a few vets to get the younger guys some snaps. But you can't bench your second round QB for a non-factor QB with the game on the line all for 3 spots in the draft.