Leslie Frazier interviewing for Texans job

BillsMafi$

5 minutes ago, PrimeTime101 said:

since when?

Since forever. You can't stop coordinators interviewing for Head Coaching jobs. There are specific windows that the NFL allows for interviews for teams in the playoffs and I believe this year Sunday and Monday this week was it. 

16 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Since forever. You can't stop coordinators interviewing for Head Coaching jobs. There are specific windows that the NFL allows for interviews for teams in the playoffs and I believe this year Sunday and Monday this week was it. 

perfect now Im not as upset Thanks for the info Gunner

25 minutes ago, MJS said:

It's literally a rule. Why would it not be talked about?

Its okay to talk about the rule, what’s not okay is in every one of these threads someone making a snap judgement that the only reason someone got the interview is because of the rule. It’s disrespectful, and attitudes like that is the reason such a rule is in place. 

How would you feel if your son/daughter/brother/sister had a big job interview that they were excited about, but you were told that they had no chance to get the job, they were just being interviewed to meet a requirement.....I’m sure you wouldn’t like it too much...I know I wouldn’t.

• Like (+1) 5
  • Agree 1

24 minutes ago, Special K said:

Its okay to talk about the rule, what’s not okay is in every one of these threads someone making a snap judgement that the only reason someone got the interview is because of the rule. It’s disrespectful, and attitudes like that is the reason such a rule is in place. 

How would you feel if your son/daughter/brother/sister had a big job interview that they were excited about, but you were told that they had no chance to get the job, they were just being interviewed to meet a requirement.....I’m sure you wouldn’t like it too much...I know I wouldn’t.

That's the nature of the rule, unfortunately. Since it exists, it places doubt in people's minds. If there was no rule, nobody would doubt the legitimacy of an interview.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

There’s been a lot of mentions of the Rooney rule. I didn’t browse all 6 pages but Houston met the rule just by interviewing Crennel right? Then Caldwell? Now Frazier. 
I think it’s a little judgey to just rule out Frazier having a shot. 
It appears Houston would like experience in their next head coach. 
I wouldn’t rule these guys out. Apparently one of the issues Watson has is over the team and race understandably. McNair had some bad comments. The hiring firm had 2 candidates of color and they disregarded it to hire the patriot guy. 
Watson recommended they go for Bienemy and they haven’t requested an interview. 
So maybe they have real interest in a coach of color with real experience. 
Either way I wouldn’t just dismiss Frazier or Caldwell from the job. Certainly not over the Rooney rule 

8 minutes ago, MJS said:

That's the nature of the rule, unfortunately. Since it exists, it places doubt in people's minds. If there was no rule, nobody would doubt the legitimacy of an interview.

maybe instead of dis-respecting Frazier, you talk about the real reason the rule unfortunately has to exist.  

image.thumb.png.00fa9464f4c6a5c2a31cdc2a499dc7e9.png

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, BuffaloRebound said:

maybe instead of dis-respecting Frazier, you talk about the real reason the rule unfortunately has to exist.  

Oh? Did I disrespect Frazier? In what manner?

I would be surprised but not shocked to see Frazier get a HC gig. I just don't see Frazier's resume being all that impressive. Yes the Bills defense has been top 10 or close since 2017 and he has been a part of that. However McD is the architect of the defense so Frazier isn't the sole generator. But his resume as an HC doesn't impress me and he is 61 going on 62. I don't see him as being a good fit for any team out there. He has a good pedigree and HC experience but I just don't see it with him. If I were an owner I would rather go with an up and coming younger coordinator. 

Edited by billsfan89

Ben Allbright is surmising that Frazier is being interviewed by Houston because Bienemy was on his staff in Minnesota. Same with David culley - worked with him in KC. Could make sense given they are two outlier candidates getting interviewed by them. And they have planned on bienemy all along. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, YoloinOhio said:

Ben Allbright is surmising that Frazier is being interviewed by Houston because Bienemy was on his staff in Minnesota. Same with David culley - worked with him in KC. Could make sense given they are two outlier candidates getting interviewed by them. And they have planned on bienemy all along. 

Very interesting. But how early into Frazier's interview do you ask the "What do you think about Eric Bieniemy?" question without making it obvious he is a pawn 😃

11 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Very interesting. But how early into Frazier's interview do you ask the "What do you think about Eric Bieniemy?" question without making it obvious he is a pawn 😃

I wonder that too but I have heard in previous years that this practice occurs. 

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, Kwai San said:

Sadly I "think" he is being brought in so the Texans can check off that minority box, hope I am wrong. 

Do I think he is qualified?  Hell if I know, I doubt you do either.  If I was an owner I wouldn't feel qualified either!  Football minds would know.....I'm JAG who watches football.  I would love to inflate my ego and say I know more than I don't but I am at least smart enough to say - I don't know what I don't know and I don't know if he is qualified.

The Texans have at least 3 minority candidates scheduled for an interview. They are really checking that box.  I would say you are indeed, wrong.

It's not hard to say that Frazier is qualified, since he was previously was a head coach that led his team from a 3-13 season to making the playoffs the following season. He was a successful college head coach, a successful position coach and coordinator, as assistant head coach... most white coaches don't need that type of resume to get multiple gigs. Look at Gase for example.

You say you don't know if he's qualified, but feel confident to post that you think he's only being interviewed to meet a quota. That's really weak.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 3

It will be the Bill's lose and the Texan's gain if Frazier gets the gig.  His defensive philosophy of "bend but don't break" has worked pretty well for the Bills.  Also, he seems to get the most out of his players and you rarely hear of any disgruntled  players on his defensive units.

12 hours ago, BuffaloRebound said:

Part of the problem is how many candidates are in the funnel. Essentially who has worked the coaching ladder to get the opportunity. The more in the funnel the more individuals who will get hired. Every owner wants to win. Much like players they will hire who they think will win. Over time this will likely increase in some part due to the minority intern coaching program. I think Frazier is a good candidate because he’s a good coach. 

12 hours ago, BuffaloRebound said:

Rebound, is this current?  I’m not questioning you per se, but Jason Wright is the President of the Washington Football team and is African American.  This was news this off season as he was the first one.

He is supposed to be a very sharp guy.  I hope is the first of several if earned and he worked his way up to this role.

As far as Frazier, he’s a previous head coach and wasn’t the only person who is African American interviewed, so it stands to reason he was interviewed as he’s done a sound job with our defense.

I wish him well and it is a sincere compliment of our staff to have both coordinators in the running for HC openings.

13 hours ago, Rc2catch said:

There’s been a lot of mentions of the Rooney rule. I didn’t browse all 6 pages but Houston met the rule just by interviewing Crennel right? Then Caldwell? Now Frazier. 
I think it’s a little judgey to just rule out Frazier having a shot. 
It appears Houston would like experience in their next head coach. 
I wouldn’t rule these guys out. Apparently one of the issues Watson has is over the team and race understandably. McNair had some bad comments. The hiring firm had 2 candidates of color and they disregarded it to hire the patriot guy. 
Watson recommended they go for Bienemy and they haven’t requested an interview. 
So maybe they have real interest in a coach of color with real experience. 
Either way I wouldn’t just dismiss Frazier or Caldwell from the job. Certainly not over the Rooney rule 

I wouldn’t either. The other factor is that Caserio has seen what Frazier’s and McDs defenses have done to Brady on multiple occasions. I’m sure he has a lot of respect for the man, and knows that Frazier is particular and professional. It’s a legitimate shot for him to become a HC again.