Why are we so bad covering the TE?

Ramza86

15 minutes ago, CapeBreton said:

Kyle Dugger? You're saying we need a huge safety to cover these TE's and Hyde/Poyer aren't the answer?

Dugger was looked at the play the Big Nickel spot. He is saying our nickel corners aren't big or athletic enough to match up well on TEs

Edited by ndirish1978

It comes down to the lesser of all evils we’re 13 and three a tightend hasn’t beat us yet if we’re going to give up yards my role give it up to somebody who’s not gonna break the game wide-open I truly believe the game plan this week will be a good one going forward for the bills I think they’re gonna do a good job containing the ravens offense

11 minutes ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

perfectly used SBTB meme.

by the way, I have this on a t-shirt.

lol, I try to think about how well they did against the Ravens last season and I feel a little better about it because Bills didn't have the offensive fire power last season. If they did they could have won I believe.

lol, I try to think about how well they did against the Ravens last season and I feel a little better about it because Bills didn't have the offensive fire power last season. If they did they could have won I believe.

Don't know why that posted 3 times, but anyways...

Edited by Patrick_Duffy

Looking at Ravens personnel, they only throw to 3 players.  One is a fast shifty guy in Brown (tre White), one us a big WR in Snead and the other is a stud Tight End. Wallace and Taron Johnson could be liabilities on Saturday.  Maybe more Josh Norman who’s a bigger CB and more Milano in the big nickel role are the answer.  

• Haha (+1) 2

If they exist, we need either a BIG safety or  a fast backer, not super stout against the runs, but can play D on the Kelce's of the NFL. Been getting gashed all year on throws to the TE.  Meanwhile we need a better tight end room, Superman Josh has saved us to this point, but Brady has always had one [or more] badass tight ends.

41 minutes ago, Ramza86 said:

We play base nickel...this should be easy. I dont get it.

I think for about half of the year ive been screaming...please cover the freaking tight end.

Yesterday I was boiling watching it unfold again.

Anyone have any ideas?

It is a conscious choice. The Bills like to play a 4-2-5 with Taron Johnson - he is all of 5'11"" and 190 lbs. They appear to value quickness over TE coverage and shedding blocks ability at that spot. The basic idea is to limit big plays.

21 minutes ago, CapeBreton said:

Kyle Dugger? You're saying we need a huge safety to cover these TE's and Hyde/Poyer aren't the answer?

The Bills don't have the big nickel that the Panthers' D had in the form of Thomas Davis or Shaq Thompson aka a LB/S hybrid. I suppose Milano is the closest thing we have yet he isn't great against TEs because a lack of size. 

13 minutes ago, Bleedbuffaloblue said:

I think if you look back over the past ten years or so you will find similar stats. This has been a problem for years. Don’t ask me to explain it as I have no answers.

Exactly.  It has been an inexplicable weakness for many years, with different coordinators and different personnel.  Was always particularly noticeable when we played against NE and Gronk, but with other teams as well.  It's probably been both a scheme and personnel issue, but we have never really been able to solve the riddle.  I think our overall team success this year has made the problem less glaringly noticeable, but it still seems to persist.  We don't have a big nickel safety and while I think Edmunds is probably the best-suited 'backer to cover a good tight end, when we're in zone coverage and given his position, he's not going to be the guy.  If I knew the answer I'd be interviewing with NFL teams right now instead of posting here. 

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, CuseBill said:

Exactly.  It has been an inexplicable weakness for many years, with different coordinators and different personnel.  Was always particularly noticeable when we played against NE and Gronk, but with other teams as well.  It's probably been both a scheme and personnel issue, but we have never really been able to solve the riddle.  I think our overall team success this year has made the problem less glaringly noticeable, but it still seems to persist.  We don't have a big nickel safety and while I think Edmunds is probably the best-suited 'backer to cover a good tight end, when we're in zone coverage and given his position, he's not going to be the guy.  If I knew the answer I'd be interviewing with NFL teams right now instead of posting here. 

Agree here. It's been a problem for years, but it has been magnified this season for some reason. There were so many games where I was wondering if the defense would ever do something to stop the throws to the TEs, because teams were just doing it over and over again and we had no response.

We haven't really lost games because of it this year, but it's mostly because we had a strong offense to outscore others.

I guess I just have to agree with others that it's a weakness of the scheme or something, like the deep out is a weakness of the Cover 2.

51 minutes ago, Buffalo Junction said:

We play nickel instead of big nickel. None of our LBers have really stepped up against TEs this season. All of our DBs are 6’ or under. This defense has been inconsistent with passing off TEs from on defender to another. The pass rush has given TEs time to settle into zones or get down the seam. 

This.

7 minutes ago, Freddie's Dead said:

For the season, AJ Klein did not do well in coverage while Milano was injured.  For the game, Cookie had a bad 2nd half in coverage.  Edmunds had 4 PD's that I counted, so he did his job.  If Cookie plays up to par, we'll be better against the TE's

Agree with this.

Klein is not a good coverage LB.

Milano had a very rough second half against the Colts, but that doesn't mean that he can't rebound and do better next week.

Edmunds did quite well in coverage. He nearly had 2 interceptions.

Our defense will have their hands full, which is why we need the offense to score as often as they can.

• Like (+1) 1

44 minutes ago, dneveu said:

Lots of zone.  There are soft spots in zones.  In cover 2 its between the safeties, in cover 3 and cover 4 its usually nearer to the hash marks.  This is usually where TEs run their routes.

Plus the fact that it takes time for a TE to find the soft spot. Without getting to the QB quickly just increases his chances to get open. Receiving TEs usually chip a rusher before falling into coverage to find open space. Rivers had the cleanest jersey in the stadium Saturday.