Why are we so bad covering the TE?

Ramza86

We play base nickel...this should be easy. I dont get it.

I think for about half of the year ive been screaming...please cover the freaking tight end.

Yesterday I was boiling watching it unfold again.

Anyone have any ideas?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

7 minutes ago, Ramza86 said:

I think for about half of the year ive been screaming...please cover the freaking tight end.

Anyone have any ideas?

I posted this in the post-game thread, but will paste it here because it supports your point:

Notable tidbit from Indy Star— didn’t realize we did so poorly against TE’s:

Buffalo’s defense gave up 993 yards to tight ends this season, the second-most in the NFL, and Indianapolis got back into Saturday’s game by exploiting the Bills’ weakness. Jack Doyle exploded for seven catches, 70 yards and a touchdown; Mo Alie-Cox made four grabs for 32 yards; and Trey Burton picked up 34 yards on three grabs, piling up a total of 14 catches for 136 yards.

• Thank you (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, Ramza86 said:

Anyone have any ideas?

Lots of zone.  There are soft spots in zones.  In cover 2 its between the safeties, in cover 3 and cover 4 its usually nearer to the hash marks.  This is usually where TEs run their routes.

• Like (+1) 8
  • Thank you (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, BuffaloRebound said:

There’s a reason the Bills were all over the guy Patriots took before us in the 2nd round.  

Well, to be fair that "guy" has been pretty underwhelming in NE thus far. IIRC, he didn't see much of the field as the season went on. I think it's a scheme weakness.

Edited by Lothar

Well this game on Saturday I'm sure this will be a priority along with stopping the run. I think the Bills D will have their hands full this weekend. Hopefully the offense can play well enough to counter it and enough to pull out a win.

However, I think I would rather play the Ravens than the Titans if having to choose between the 2. 

image.png.a2a0849f51e521fa768245317b7dbf14.png

• Haha (+1) 3

2 minutes ago, BuffaloRebound said:

There’s a reason the Bills were all over the guy Patriots took before us in the 2nd round.  

I'd like a big nickel safety too - but the idea there is that you can keep him out there in 11 personnel and feel like you are OK in coverage and OK against the run.  Not usually matching up with a TE.

26 minutes ago, Ramza86 said:

Anyone have any ideas?

Absolutely has been a weakness all year for the Bills and of course Jackson loves to feast on the middle of the field where the TE tends to roam.  Go back to last year on that busted coverage on the TE vs the Ravens.  Have to take the middle of the field away and make him beat you outside.  Be really interesting to see the scheme they come up vs the Ravens.

5 minutes ago, Patrick_Duffy said:

Well this game on Saturday I'm sure this will be a priority along with stopping the run. I think the Bills D will have their hands full this weekend. Hopefully the offense can play well enough to counter it and enough to pull out a win.

However, I think I would rather play the Ravens than the Titans if having to choose between the 2. 

image.png.a2a0849f51e521fa768245317b7dbf14.png

perfectly used SBTB meme.

by the way, I have this on a t-shirt.

26 minutes ago, Ramza86 said:

Anyone have any ideas?

This season we've struggled with bigger receivers (Parker, Metcalfe), tight ends, and slot receivers (Crowder, Kupp).

On the tight end front though we've played all the best this season: Gesicki, Waller, Kelcie, the Colts stable. I think the Milano injury, lack of pass rush from our front four probably are top contributors, and lack of size among our corners are probably top contributors.