Most unbelievable throw from Allen Saturday

Bubba Gump

1 hour ago, grog said:

Time for John Brown to be more involved in the offense; he is the guy on the roster who is suppose  to make teams rethink the stop Diggs at all costs approach.

John Brown had 4 targets - missed all 4, that's half of JA incompletions. Are we sure he's healthy?

• Like (+1) 1

So awesome to see elite level play by our QB/WR!  QB: Arm strength/touch/accuracy; WR: Concentration/hands/speed.  One thing also - Gabriel Davis came to grab the ball when the DB was trying to pry the ball out of Diggs' hands after the play was over.  This is a 4th round rookie!  We can find the players, and they really fight for each other!  Trust/respect/anything-you-say-McBeane/The Process!

2 hours ago, Call_Of_Ktulu said:

The Catch by Diggs was also amazing, he get hit in the process of catching the ball and still makes the grab. Allen and Diggs are both elite talents, I think the Ravens are going to  try and stop Diggs at all cost. The Ravens play dirty so we need to be ready for that as well.

The nice thing we have going for us now is that if they commit to shutting down Diggs we have so many other weapons. On a similar note, I still didn’t see any reason as to why McKenzie went missing last week. I would have liked to have seen at least one sweep or fake end around.

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, Bubba Gump said:

I think this throw deserves it's own thread. The 37 yard "flick" to Diggs was amazing. Allen chucks the ball 35 yards in the air with absolutely no effort, none whatsoever. There is not one QB in the league that could do this. I had to replay it like 10 times. Never seen anything like it. 

Thanks for highlighting that, so I could go watch it another 10 times.

You are right, it is absolutely insane. He looks like he is using the same amount of effort that I would use to throw the ball to my little nephew 3 yards away.

I don't actually understand the physics of Josh Allen. He is a quantum MFer.

Edited by Last Guy on the Bench
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

He ‘flicked’ that from the 20, and it would’ve landed on the 35.  That’s 45 yards in the air, flat footed, and dropped a dime.. absolutely insane. Just freakish arm strength. 
Rivers struggled to beat that on his Hail Mary. 

I really want to see him load up on a go-route and send it 70 in the air down the field, for a 70 yard TD. 

Edited by Playoffs?
  • Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, grog said:

Time for John Brown to be more involved in the offense; he is the guy on the roster who is suppose  to make teams rethink the stop Diggs at all costs approach.

Well, he must have had some effect.  He was on the field for 97% of the snaps on Saturday.  Someone had to be covering him.

49 minutes ago, BillsIsrael said:

John Brown had 4 targets - missed all 4, that's half of JA incompletions. Are we sure he's healthy?

He may be rusty.  Two of those targets I believe were the INT on the "free play" and the subsequent INT ruled incomplete in the EZ.

IMO Brown got outplayed by whoever was covering him in both cases - "boxed out" and unable to adjust on the ball.

It's always been a trait that Brown can be out-muscled on his routes by physical play.  It's what the Ravens did to take him away last year.  I felt he had gotten better this year but that may be something that takes some time to get back.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Call_Of_Ktulu said:

The Catch by Diggs was also amazing, he get hit in the process of catching the ball and still makes the grab. Allen and Diggs are both elite talents, I think the Ravens are going to  try and stop Diggs at all cost. The Ravens play dirty so we need to be ready for that as well.

Then we need to play dirtier. Cleats to throats the entire game. Punch them in their ***** faces and keep them on their asses.

They can't hang with us.

Stop the RB who throws it on occasion and they are FINISHED.

Their season ends at our hands SATURDAY. 

PERIOD. 

• Like (+1) 2

3 hours ago, Bubba Gump said:

I think this throw deserves it's own thread. The 37 yard "flick" to Diggs was amazing. Allen chucks the ball 35 yards in the air with absolutely no effort, none whatsoever. There is not one QB in the league that could do this. I had to replay it like 10 times. Never seen anything like it. 

After watching the Browns at Stillers game, I think we need to give a big shout-out to Diggs for that.  He knows exactly when the ball will get there and while it almost looks like he catches it in stride, he actually elevates, knowing he'll be hit immediately, and hauls it in with Willis' arm in there.

Big Ben threw a similar pass on a flatter trajectory that ricocheted off his WR's hands and became one of his picks.  Of course, the arc vs. flat trajectory is part of what makes that a better throw, but the point is to recognize the role that improved receiving has had in Josh's 2020 success.

• Like (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Well, he must have had some effect.  He was on the field for 97% of the snaps on Saturday.  Someone had to be covering him.

He may be rusty.  Two of those targets I believe were the INT on the "free play" and the subsequent INT ruled incomplete in the EZ.

IMO Brown got outplayed by whoever was covering him in both cases - "boxed out" and unable to adjust on the ball.

It's always been a trait that Brown can be out-muscled on his routes by physical play.  It's what the Ravens did to take him away last year.  I felt he had gotten better this year but that may be something that takes some time to get back.

I think Brown on Saturday was two things.   One was playing hurt, just like Beas and everyone else on the team.  Everyone is dinged to a greater or lesser degree at this time of year.  He wanted to be on the field, he was cleared by the medical team, and the coaches wanted to get out of him what they could.   

I think the other reason he played was the Bills were looking ahead.  They probably were thinking that they want him in the lineup and effective as soon as they can get him there and that it might take him a game to get back up to speed.   During the regular season you might sit him until he's completely healthy, then work him back into the lineup.  In the playoffs you don't have that luxury.  So the thought was, I think, to get him some game time (turns out it was a lot of game time) to get his sea legs back, then to rest and treat him during the weak to get him back closer to full strength.  

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Plano said:

Then we need to play dirtier. Cleats to throats the entire game. Punch them in their ***** faces and keep them on their asses.

They can't hang with us.

PERIOD. 

I agree, a big part of this game will be matching the Ravens intensity. They are going to try and rattle us with a late hit on Allen or holding Diggs. We have to match their intensity and stay under control. 

4 minutes ago, Plano said:

They can't hang with us.

PERIOD. 

That's all well and good, but the problem is in the playoffs the refs let a lot more go.  That plays into the Ravens hands.  Bills will need to be ready for a more physical game, and they will need strategies that will beat the physicality and get people open.  

• Like (+1) 1

Since I focus on the Bills I almost take the arm strength for granted, right up until I watch another game.  I know it isn't fair to compare the two but I swear I can throw harder than Brees at this point.  And as much as I hate to say it, I'm amazed at how much zip Brady still puts on his throws.

2 hours ago, Dan Darragh said:

He was actually standing flat-footed on both feet, didn't step into the throw at all

Yep when he let it go there was a split second of "oh no" because 90% of Quarterbacks throw that ball like that in the middle of the field and it is a pick. And then in the next split second you remember it is Josh and in the third split second you see it is Diggs under it and then I knew it was a completion. 

1 minute ago, Shaw66 said:

That's all well and good, but the problem is in the playoffs the refs let a lot more go.  That plays into the Ravens hands.  Bills will need to be ready for a more physical game, and they will need strategies that will beat the physicality and get people open.  

You kick them in their faces every chance you get.

Jam them at the line, hit them in the throat when you jam them. 

Dogpile? Great place to jab their eyes.

Pass across the middle? Shoulder into their helmets. FINISH THEM.

That's what we were taught in HS/College. 

You make them afraid to come near you. Spit in their faces when you line up against them. Make them feel inferior in every single way.

When you finish tackling them, step on their ankles when you get up. ***** everything they are about.

Given Josh's game lately, it's really hard to pick which "amazing throw" is the best each week. The two throws to Diggs were both great and showed his growing ability to put touch on throws to clear defensive players. I was actually more amazed at the two throws to Gabe Davis along the sidelines. On both throws, Allen was rolling out under pressure and dropped or rifled the ball into a place where only his guy could get it. 

The 2nd throw to Davis really hit me. JA was rolling left and threw an absolute dart to Davis who was surrounded by 2 defenders for a perfect "toe-tap" sideline catch. Gabe "Mr. Perimeter" Davis is starting to remind me a bit of Chris Carter ("All he does is catch TDs"). 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Bubba Gump said:

Great throw and play but saying there is not one QB in the league that could throw that pass is unnecessary over-hype and leads me to believe you don't watch the rest of the NFL.    Mahomes and Rodgers can DEFINITELY make that throw as well as guys like Stafford and Herbert who have incredible pure arm talent as well.     We saw a bunch of soft-tossers on the Bills schedule but there are also a bunch of guys in the league right now who at one time might have had the strongest arms in the NFL over the past 25-30 years.    The game has swung back in favor of big armed passers over the past decade after the zone blitz kinda' turned the game into more of a cerebral exercise in the mid-90's......which really limited the pool of passers and lead to an era of domination by guys like the Mannings and Brees and Brady.    

• Like (+1) 3

53 minutes ago, Jerome007 said:

I had my jaw dropped. His motion is for a 5 yard dump off and he threw it 40 yards down the field. He COULD have stepped up. He just didn't need to or chose to.

Good point by Inigo that it was touch pass too!

Great way to put it. I agree the motion of his arm made it look like he was throwing a touch pass, and then the ball just absolutely exploded off his hand like it was shot from a cannon. My jaw hit the floor on that one.

Another thing to add about Diggs: the guy is a warrior. He has taken big hit after big hit going up for the ball, and he doesn't drop it, and he comes right back for the next play. He is one tough dude.

Edited by Rubes
  • Like (+1) 3

I think everything before the throw is what makes Josh Allen special. Moves the safety with the pump to Knox and then comes back to Diggs. I think his best throw was the one late in the 4th where he pumps the DB and throws a dart to Diggs on the sideline. 

My reasoning is he rolled left instead of right. Threw a 30 yard rope. 

Edited by Buffalo_Stampede