The best run defense is scoring 30+

DollaBills

4 hours ago, DollaBills said:

Everyone is scared of the Ravens running attack, but remember, we went 3 and out several times to start the game. The Colts brought their absolute best and played smash mouth football for the duration. Our run defense is a weakness but I think against the Ravens the best defense is going to be lightning fast scoring drives through the air.

Go Bills. Unironically the team of destiny

Read option usually flows in the direction opposite the RB. Bills will have a plan in place. GAP integrity!!!!  Bring them on!!!!

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, prissythecat said:

How is your response relevant?  The post I was responding to claims that smash mouth football always loses to pass heavy offenses.  It clearly doesn't

I think you took his statement too literal.  Yes, it doesn't win 100% of the time but the vast majority of the time, the passing offense wins.

52 minutes ago, BigPappy said:

It's the playoffs, every team should be at the very least a concern if not a worry. They are in the playoffs for a reason.... they were good enough to get there. To not have some level of concern, in my view; would be foolish.

Look at last nights Steelers vs Browns game as a prime example. The Browns weren't even allowed to practice until Friday due to COVID. I thought for sure they would walk into Pittsburg and get their a$$e$ absolutely handed to them and get completely trounced by the Steelers. IT was 28-0 at the end of the 1st quarter Browns. I was like..... 😲 holy shiz-nit

So basically what we did last year to them, except this year we have an offense that can pretty much score at will? We held Jackson to 40 yards rushing on 11 attempts in that game.

Honestly could there be something to this not practicing thing? Tennessee destroyed us under similar circumstances this year.

3 minutes ago, Tatonka68 said:

Special Teams cannot give Allen such bad field position like they did in the 1st half against the Colts. 

Yup. Bad field position to start --> 3 and outs --> defense being on the field too much --> fatigu --> awful 4Q defense

2 hours ago, maryland-bills-fan said:

Jackson is something that you can not completely control. We have to score a lot of points and try to force him to beat us with his passing. Often he is off mark. They now also have a very good and fast to-the-corner running back Dobbins. . We could have drafted him instead of Epenesa- the Ravens drafted him on the very next pick. ((((2020 Walter football take on him: 

J.K. Dobbins*, RB, Ohio State
Height: 5-9. Weight: 210. Arm: 29.75. Hand: 9.5.
Projected 40 Time: 4.50.
Projected Round (2020): 2-3.
4/21/20: Dobbins averaged 6.7 yards per carry in 2019 for 2,003 yards with 21 touchdowns. He had 23 receptions for 247 yards and two touchdowns as well. Dobbins fumbled against Florida Atlantic, Penn State and Michigan. He was a tough runner for Ohio State, showing starting ability for the NFL with size, strength, the ability to run through contact, and quickness to rip off chunk runs.

8/17/19: Dobbins averaged 4.6 yards per carry in 2018 for 1,053 yards with 10 touchdowns. He also made 26 receptions for 263 yards. Mike Weber was supposed to be the next star running back at Ohio State in 2017, but an injury slowed him down to start the season. The Buckeyes turned to Dobbins and never looked back, as the freshman dominated the competition. Dobbins averaged 7.2 yards per carry for 1,403 yards with seven touchdowns on the year. He also had 22 receptions for 135 yards and a touchdown. Dobbins has a fast first-step and is dangerous to break off long runs on any carry.

This will require good setting of the edge and players aware of reverse type plays.  Our outside game is limited to jet sweeps.  Moss ran a 4.65, Singletary a 4.66 versus his 4.50. They have this extra weapon and will use it. I'm looking at Nagee Harris of the Tide for the 2021 draft. 4.53, 6-2 230 and a good protection blocker.

Thought about this earlier today.  Jackson is not an impressive passer.  Beat us on a filthy throw on a corner route to TE last year.  But it was pretty lucky, in my view, given his overall body of work.  This might be a game where Trent Murphy is in for Epenesa and sees meaningful time.  May also see Dodson active in Gililam’s spot - a little extra speed at LB just in case.   Key to victory = defensive discipline + what for us has become our average offensive performance.  

Tough game. Playoffs are difficult.

It sure looked like the coaches outsmarted themselves.

Daboll reverted to early season offense attempting to get the Colts out of their defensive plan. Didn’t work.

Skip the Allen keepers and do what brought you here.

The Ravens will run. Running may keep the games close, passing and no turnovers is what will win this game.

• Like (+1) 1

Make Lamar be a QB.  He’s a dynamic runner but a backup level passer.  Clog the middle to make him throw to the sidelines and put defenders in his way if he runs.  Seal those edges on pass rush and run defense.  The Titans did not contain the edges and it cost them the game. When Lamar does run the ball make him pay.  Teams really haven’t been able to do that because he’s so elusive but it’s coming.

Gotta play a ton of zone coverage.  And I wouldn't rush too many.  Gotta have your second level players with eyes in the backfield, and cover guys up.  Let Jackson throw into tight windows and be ready to pounch once he scrambles.  

Man coverage and he escapes the pocket for big gains. 

• Like (+1) 1

37 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

I think you took his statement too literal.  Yes, it doesn't win 100% of the time but the vast majority of the time, the passing offense wins.

I'm cool with that clarification.   Passing is the way to go  if a team wants to go far

• Like (+1) 1

36 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

Honestly could there be something to this not practicing thing? Tennessee destroyed us under similar circumstances this year.

I don't think there's an advantage gained from not practicing, but there is ABSOLUTELY an advantage gained from pulling together amid adversity when nobody believes in you -- and the other team lets up a little because they think the game will be easier. People overlook psychology in sports so much.

5 hours ago, DollaBills said:

Everyone is scared of the Ravens running attack, but remember, we went 3 and out several times to start the game. The Colts brought their absolute best and played smash mouth football for the duration. Our run defense is a weakness but I think against the Ravens the best defense is going to be lightning fast scoring drives through the air.

Go Bills. Unironically the team of destiny

Well, it doesn't need to be lightning quick and it's better if the drives take some time. After special teams, the biggest problem was the Bills unusual adherence to the running game that cost them downs and yards. Even if they were bringing the pressure, I would have preferred some short dump off plays. Sustain a couple of those drives, get better field position and let your defense rest a bit and while I don't think it would have been major, it would have made a difference for the defense. 

This Bills team can't afford to have many 3 and outs. The defense is not what it was last year and even if they don't get points, they need to sustain drives on offense. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, BigPappy said:

So basically what we did last year to them, except this year we have an offense that can pretty much score at will? We held Jackson to 40 yards rushing on 11 attempts in that game.

I've been thinking about this rematch ever since the Bills acquired Diggs.  Coming from Maryland, the Ravens game last year was the first for my adult son and the first Bills game I'd made it to in over a decade.  Seen replays since - it's burned into me.

The Bills struggled on offense through most of the game, but tying the game was still within reach at the end and came down to a play that failed on Brown's inability to get open on Marcus Peters.

I believe Diggs can torch Peters at least as easily as he worked over Ramsey.

The Bills defense isn't quite what they were last year, but neither is the Ravens D, and Allen is an entirely different QB.  I am in no way taking anything for granted, and the Bills really need to figure out how to cover TEs but they CAN win this, potentially even going away.

Edited by BobChalmers
  • Like (+1) 2

4 hours ago, Florida Bills Fanatic said:

McD may have to give up on his "Big Nickel" approach to defense.  People are apoplectic over the Bills run defense but we all need to remember that they play the vast majority of plays with five DB's on the field.  In many instances they stay in that defense even when they are facing two and three tight end sets. Taron Johnson plays tough but is over matched when taking on large run blockers.  I expect to see more of A.J. on the field for first and second downs.

Which one? Espensa or Klein? I'll hang-up and listen...

7 minutes ago, Hebert19 said:

Minus a couple early uncharacteristic drops and a long sack fumble by Allen we easily score 30 

Yeah, that's the way it works in every game. If you imagine that you played better, then you will imagine that the outcome was better. We (and every team) have some bad plays every game. It's part of the game. We will have some this game too.

Edited by Thurman#1

5 minutes ago, Thurman#1 said:

Yeah, that's the way it works in every game. If you imagine that you played better, then you will imagine that the outcome was better. We (and every team) have some bad plays every game. It's part of the game. We will have some this game too.

Ya.  Totally.  Just saying take that sack away and we kick a FG there and its 30.  Not like we were a mile off.