Divisional Playoff round: Ravens at Bills on Saturday Night Football

YoloinOhio

Similar to last week, Baltimore loves using their TE's. We are going to have to have a much better game plan than last week, but Jackson is nowhere near as accomplished as Rivers at working to his TE's. We had good success stopping Jacobs and Henry this season, but Indy got us for over 150 last week between Taylor and Hines. We should commit to the run completely and make them beat us with their weaker passing game. Obviously if we can stay competitive against their run I think we will be victorious.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

7 hours ago, The Wiz said:

I'm strangely comfortable with this game. Not like I feel like we are going to win but just feel like we can. 

I'm sure it has a lot to do with winning the other day and getting that monkey off our backs but I have this weird feeling of confidence with the team right now that they weren't happy with last week and the coaches are going to have a good plan in place. 

I am with you. I also am nowhere near as nervous about this game as I was last Saturday. For me, it has a lot to getting that win last Saturday. Now, we know Sean, Josh, and everyone else who comes back next year CAN rise to the occasion in the playoffs. I want to win this game and I am sure as it goes along and is close, because every Bills game is close it seems, I will become more anxious. I think the Bills are the better overall team and have the better QB, but I also know the Ravens are really good and well coached. It will simply come down to which QB makes the most plays to help his team win and limits mistakes. 

Redzone offense could also be important.

For the year the Bills are 12th and the Ravens are 13th in scoring touchdowns, 62.86% for the Bills and 61.99% respectively. Now the last there games the Bills are over 90% for second behind the Pack, while the Ravens are below 54% for 19th in league. 
To be fair the Ravens do have a better redzone d than the Bills. 

Edited by atlbillsfan1975

15 hours ago, Olliemets said:

Oh they are. But it amazing how quick the narrative changes when the Bills underacheive (That is, don't dominate and blow out teams like they did the past month ) and The Ravens get the monkey off their back with the Titans.  My take is...talk up Lamar all you want.  

Let the doubters and Raven bandwagon guys talk themselves out on Sports radio. I think we'll play a lot better. And we have Josh.

Much of what I heard this week is that the Ravens have a hard time adapting to playoff level football over the last 5-6 years. They did win this week but barely. I don’t think their weak schedule this year helps with that. 

does Greg Roman design his own passing game concepts or does he still need a separate coach to do that? Honest question, he had one in both SF and Buffalo. 

• Like (+1) 2

17 hours ago, NoHuddleKelly12 said:

Not sure if already covered here or elsewhere, but we should be expecting nothing but class from the Ravens, right? 🙄

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/30687874/baltimore-ravens-celebration-tennessee-titans-logo-team-unity-not-disrespect

"The Ravens were penalized 15 yards for taunting, but it had no impact on the game. Six plays later, Ravens quarterback Lamar Jackson knelt one final time and ran off the field without shaking hands with the Titans, waving at his teammates to do the same."

C'mon Buffalo. Don't let your logo get disrespected this weekend. Win!!!

The reason for the ravens reaction was the titans did it before their game earlier in the season. The titans players were taunting the ravens coach and stomping on their logo. The ravens haven’t done that anywhere else and I don’t see any reason why they would do it to us unprovoked. 

• Like (+1) 1

13 hours ago, chknwing334 said:

The universe has spoken!  A red tailed hawk was eating a raven just outside my office door this afternoon. The hawk just sat there feasting while people were checking it out. If that’s not a sign from the football gods, I don’t know what is! The ravens are dead!  (I couldn’t upload the video for some reason). 
ZaxKhVY.jpg

A very literal interpretation of humble and hungry! LOL

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 3

12 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Free association:

Thinking about LeSean McCoy who By God could cut on a dime in the snow and give change.

That led to me thinking about McCoy on Allen: "He's going to be great.  You'll see!"

Significant snow, as opposed to a dusting/sleet/slick surface, is a completely different animal.  If there’s lots of snow all bets are off...and yes, Shady seemed to love it.  I remember his comments about Allen as well.  I think players know it when they see it.

• Like (+1) 1

90% of what is discussed in this now 38 page thread has absolutely no bearing on the outcome of this game.

It’s the playoffs, each game is a different season and I truly believe you can throw out all the stats from the regular season in terms of making predictions.

It comes down to which team is ready to play (they both will be), which coaches developed a better game plan against their opponents perceived strengths/weaknesses, and most importantly - which coaching staff makes the correct adjustments during the game, especially early. Whether its adjusting the game plan or adjusting underperforming players, that’s where this game will be won or lost. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

7 hours ago, The Wiz said:

I'm strangely comfortable with this game. Not like I feel like we are going to win but just feel like we can. 

I'm sure it has a lot to do with winning the other day and getting that monkey off our backs but I have this weird feeling of confidence with the team right now that they weren't happy with last week and the coaches are going to have a good plan in place. 

I feel the same way. It's like, if they're not good enough to beat the Ravens at this point, well, let's fix the problems and come back next year. With the Colts, it felt like "Of course they're better, but they might screw up," which led to a lot of nerves. That's not to say I don't think they'll win. Looking objectively at how they've played since the Arizona game, against top defenses, and I think they will. It just feels like this is new territory from here on. 

• Like (+1) 1

You have arguably the two hottest teams in the league going up against each other.  As every other Bills game it comes down to Josh.  I think he'll outperform Jackson, but their run game goes up against what has been our biggest weakness all year. 

Weather could be a factor, but I would argue some snow, slick field, etc. might favor the Bills.  It won't affect Josh's ability to throw, and when the WRs know where they're going and the DBs don't, it makes it harder to cover.  And seeing the Ravens play a lot of man our passing game could go nuts.   Of course, the same argument could be made about their run game.  Should be a great game.

• Like (+1) 1

Bills 7-0 versus top ten defenses

Bills 8-2 versus the top 15 rushing teams.

These stats, our prime time experience, and the tough schedule/ road to the playoffs formulate my belief that the Bills will prevail.

Bills had a tough schedule, played in an oven the whole year. Time and time again this offense came through and set the tempo. We did not just squeak by these defenses either, we at times shredded.

The Ravens are the best version of the tough defense, tough running teams in the NFL. I have a ton of respect for them, but they have also been inconsistent. LJ is electric and the kind of freak athlete fans love. That being said, I think looking at the body of their work they are a bit overrated.

To win, the Bills have to click on offense...they've got to crack the nut, and they did that week after week to good defenses. If the Ravens think they are going to see the tepid offensive team of 2019 that came within one John Brown slant of matching them, they are wrong.

On defense, the Bills dont really need to fully stop the Ravens. Our offense is better and can strike quicker. I don't believe the Ravens can win in a shoot out, or a comeback....some of the games we played we have given up huge yardage in the running game and total offense. We still won....in the case of Hail Murray, should have won.  The Cards game was far from perfect. 

A lot of things need to line up to beat the Bills. The Colts almost lined them up. Im not sure if it even matters if Josh is on. Giving up 450 yards offense and still winning, compounded by 163 yards in ST differential by poor field position was legendary. While we can't do this every week, it still blows my mind.

After last week, i expect the defense to play better. I expect special teams to play better and i think the flow of the game on the Bills side is going to be fast and furious, and i think it may be a finest hour. I trust our coach, our QB and players, and I trust the process.

Edited by RichRiderBills
  • Like (+1) 5
  • Awesome! (+1) 3

Tough to compare last week vs this week.  Buffalo is a team specific game plan.  Espically, in the playoffs.  I think this is why they experimented with 3 Lbs for a significant time in the first half vs Miami.  I think Klien sees the field a good amount.  Baltimore will run 2 3 te sets with a fb.  Nickle wont hold up consistantly.  I think they try to feel the flow.  Ideally, a db needs to be positioned to where Jackson runs.  Whether its a nickleback or saftey.  

• Like (+1) 1

As others mentioned, Daboll tailors each week’s offensive philosophy toward the opponent specifically. I have a feeling the bills are going to see the same D Belichick put out there the first pats game with the 6 DBs and the Bills will run the ball a lot. Ravens have better talent on D than the pats but aren’t as discoplined on the second level. Ravens will invite them to run and aren’t great at stopping it. They also are very bad tackling team. 

Edited by YoloinOhio
  • Like (+1) 4

6 minutes ago, Mat68 said:

Tough to compare last week vs this week.  Buffalo is a team specific game plan.  Espically, in the playoffs.  I think this is why they experimented with 3 Lbs for a significant time in the first half vs Miami.  I think Klien sees the field a good amount.  Baltimore will run 2 3 te sets with a fb.  Nickle wont hold up consistantly.  I think they try to feel the flow.  Ideally, a db needs to be positioned to where Jackson runs.  Whether its a nickleback or saftey.  

I think nickel only works against the Ravens if the 5th DB is down in the box as run support/spy on Lamar.  I agree with you on Klein.  I absolutely believe the Bills will force Baltimore to beat us through the air, and the book on Lamar thus far is to force him to throw outside the numbers.

3 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

I have a feeling the bills are going to see the same D Belichick put out there the first pats game with the 6 DBs and the Bills will run the ball a lot. Ravens have better talent on D than the pats but aren’t as discoplined on the second level. Ravens will invite them to run and aren’t great at stopping it. They also are very bad tackling team. 

There are two things you can’t do against a Baltimore defense — run between the tackles and wait for long developing routes.  They are vulnerable on the outside, and I assure you Daboll knows this.  I don’t think he’ll be fooled into trying to run up the middle.

5 minutes ago, SCBills said:

Watches GMFB go on and on about the “weather” again...

::Checks Notes::

30 degrees and cloudy at kickoff 

well, everyone here is talking about it too. A couple of threads on it

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, eball said:

I think nickel only works against the Ravens if the 5th DB is down in the box as run support/spy on Lamar.  I agree with you on Klein.  I absolutely believe the Bills will force Baltimore to beat us through the air, and the book on Lamar thus far is to force him to throw outside the numbers.

There are two things you can’t do against a Baltimore defense — run between the tackles and wait for long developing routes.  They are vulnerable on the outside, and I assure you Daboll knows this.  I don’t think he’ll be fooled into trying to run up the middle.

it was early in the season but KC waitedon a ton of long developing routes and capitalized on several of them.  Is their o.line a lot better than ours?

Edited by Buffalo4Life01

11 hours ago, SCBills said:

Everyone wanted to see if Lamar could win in the Playoffs.  

Ravens won in balanced fashion where their defense played well and Lamar played pretty good, with the highlight of the weekend.  

Lots of people thought the Bills would smoke the Colts.   

The game went down to the wire and we won despite our defense.   Josh Allen was a stud, but people know that now.  

Both won, but: 

Ravens met expectations.  

Bills did not.  

That’s why we have the narrative this week that we have. 

Lamar had that highlight reel play. 48 yard run. Great...

Take that away and he throws for 179 1 int, and 75 yards rushing. I’m not overly impressed. Especially against a soft defense. The Tennessee fans I’ve talked too are more pissed they lost cause they couldn’t score more than 20 pts, not cause of Lamar.

I’m more impressed their defense shut down Henry and held them to 13 pts... that’s the highlight.

Everyone wanted to see if Lamar could win in the Playoffs.  

Ravens won in balanced fashion where their defense played well and Lamar played pretty good, with the highlight of the weekend.  

Lots of people thought the Bills would smoke the Colts.   

The game went down to the wire and we won despite our defense.   Josh Allen was a stud, but people know that now.  

Both won, but: 

Ravens met expectations.  

Bills did not.  

That’s why we have the narrative this week that we have. 

Lamar had that highlight reel play. 48 yard run. Great...

Take that away and he throws for 179 1 int, and 75 yards rushing. I’m not overly impressed. Especially against a soft defense. The Tennessee fans I’ve talked too are more pissed they lost cause they couldn’t score more than 20 pts, not cause of Lamar.

I’m more impressed their defense shut down Henry and held them to 13 pts... that’s the highlight.

Edited by CEN-CAL17
  • Like (+1) 2