Divisional Playoff round: Ravens at Bills on Saturday Night Football

YoloinOhio

The Bills on O are a bit like the Patriots from a few years ago..  Brady would drop back and throw 45-50 times a game.. Their 3rd and 1 plays were those little short out passes to Edelman.  They didn't really use a running game since passing was their strength.

Josh obviously has more athleticism so the Bills can do all sorts of different unscripted stuff out of the shotgun... and we have better deep threats than those NE teams. 

Edited by zow2

Just now, transplantbillsfan said:

This is a great point... Rivers has that vet savvy to get rid of the ball quickly.  Jackson's strategy is often to hold onto the ball.

I'm nervous about our pass rush, but our issues against Indy may have just been a product of going against a QB getting the ball out of his hands so quickly.

On top of Jackson holding the ball longer, I think the Bills will send more delayed blitzes to fill those running lanes so Jackson can't escape. I think we'll see a couple sacks like that.

• Agree 1

11 minutes ago, BillsFan130 said:

Ya for sure and I hear you.

I just think they are really playing with fire if they bring the house against Allen and the weapons the bills have 

Yup I agree. And they obviously will blitz, that's who they are and what they do. But it will get to a point where they will think twice and they will slow down with it. It will work some for them, just hope Josh holds on to the ball when they hit him or get to him.

But Bills will make em pay for it and when the Bills start burning em the 1st time, it will continue. Once they get hot and get rolling and figuring things out, they are damn near unstoppable.

• Like (+1) 1

Biggest thing that worries me about this game is our 3rd down defense. If the Bills can't stop them on 3rd down, it's going to be a long night. LJ will get his share of long runs and backs may break a couple, but you can't let them consistently convert 3rd downs.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, One Buffalo said:

The way I see it is our ideal scenario is to jump out to an early lead and force Lamar to throw.  It was mentioned by the announcers in the Titans game, the Ravens are not built to play from behind.  They did of course come back against Titans but the Titans D is horrible.  If we can come out throwing and get a leg up, we should be at an increased advantage.  

That's kind of a half-truth. If you allow Jackson to make plays with his legs, then the Ravens will come back.

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, One Buffalo said:

The way I see it is our ideal scenario is to jump out to an early lead and force Lamar to throw.  It was mentioned by the announcers in the Titans game, the Ravens are not built to play from behind.  They did of course come back against Titans but the Titans D is horrible.  If we can come out throwing and get a leg up, we should be at an increased advantage.  

Yeah that was interesting. Titan defense actually did pretty well for the 1st part of the game. The offense just couldn't get it going enough to pull away and create a good lead. Which I credit the Ravens D for.

They made Tanny beat them by stooping Henry.

1 minute ago, transplantbillsfan said:

This is a great point... Rivers has that vet savvy to get rid of the ball quickly.  Jackson's strategy is often to hold onto the ball.

I'm nervous about our pass rush, but our issues against Indy may have just been a product of going against a QB getting the ball out of his hands so quickly.

I think so. It will be interesting with Jackson. during the regular season, Jackson, on average, held the ball for almost 3 seconds per pass attempt and was susceptible to pressure this year, particularly up the middle. He cut it down to about 2.6 seconds per throw against Tennessee, but he was still sacked 5 times. 

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, LeGOATski said:

That's kind of a half-truth. If you allow Jackson to make plays with his legs, then the Ravens will come back.

True, and that's what happened against the Titans.  But that was the first time in his career with the Ravens that he has come back when down 10 points or more.  They mentioned it on the broadcast.  

Adding here an article that states the Titans game was the first time the Ravens have come back from double digit deficit since 2016

https://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/ravens/bs-sp-ravens-titans-playoffs-lamar-jackson-20210111-uh5b42ofxzecfh44wlksqe7h7u-story.html

Edited by One Buffalo

18 minutes ago, HerdMentality said:

Their O-Line is much bigger than our D-Line. Rather worried about our run defense...

our dline is by far the weakest link on the team and I really hope we assess it this off-season 

Ed Oliver has been really disappointing , and so have the FA’s Beane brought in 

1 hour ago, Juice_32 said:

If you get a chance, re-watch the Pats* Ravens matchup from earlier in the season. The Pats* forced Lamar to be a pocket QB about as well as I've ever seen another team do it. The Ravens offense never really found its rhythm in that one. 

It was also surprising to see Cam hit a few of the deep crossers we used so well against Miami in the first matchup with them. He hit them on Humphrey and Peters, set up by play action. I cant stand Belicheat, but if I'm McD I'd be watching the Pats* Ravens film a ton this week.

I could be wrong about the timing, but it was AFTER this game or the next, where the Ravens of 2020 returned to the Ravens of 2019.  I think they tried to make them into a conventional offense where Jackson dropped back more with the first intention to throw, vice run.  They went into a dip.  When they came out, they began running more than passing.  So I don't know if this tape helps much,

• Like (+1) 1

While I'm a nervous wreck about Saturday and PO'd at the Steelers, I have a little confidence for this reason: Everyone is talking up LaMar, Harbaugh and suddenly the Ravens are everyones darling. I'm down in NYC Metro area. That coupled with the Bills lukewarm performance Saturday has people here and nationally mouthing off with "Team of Destiny", "LaMar has arrived", "Bills very lucky" talk. Makes me feel like a bit of an underdog. Yes, Frank Reich made some brutal decisions, Yes the bend don't break D killed us, Yes Josh Allen carried the Bills.  Most people down here don't watch every game start to finish. I do. This is a very resilient team, and the staff has gotten better at making adjustments. I think you'll see a much better team performance on Saturday. I hope Dabol calls a better game and my biggest worry is the weather.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2