Divisional Playoff round: Ravens at Bills on Saturday Night Football

YoloinOhio

1 hour ago, SCBills said:

Who thinks we see more, the same, or less Allen runs from the WC Round?

I could see more.  

Indy has a strong DL and flooded coverage with eyes on the backfield.  

IF Baltimore plays man, that means if Josh Allen gets past the first wave of defenders, there aren’t too many people with eyes on him, especially if they are blitzing.  

As long as it's not designed running plays, then I don't care.

If the Ravens choose to blitz and play man-to-man, then Allen should take off and take whatever they give him.

I do not want to see a lot of designed running plays for Allen like we saw last week. If they do 2-5 designed runs, that's fine, but not 10.

The Bills need to pass. That's what they have been most successful at during this winning streak. Allen will find someone open to connect with. Let him be the Field Marshal, and the Bills will win.

14 minutes ago, AllDayLJ said:

I see a poster come on here every 5 pages or so and say something along the lines of, "Has everyone forgotten how good we are why does everyone on this board think we're going to lose??"

What thread are you reading? Because it's not this one. Almost every comment on here is positive or saying Ravens are good at "xyz" but Bills will pull this out. There's maybe one negative post every 1.5-2 pages. It's like some people are trying to create the "Bills against the world" narrative. Most pundits like blabbering out LJ because he makes highlights plays, but when you look at vegas and the actual picks from "experts" is very even.

The Bills are a fantastic team. I legitimately think this game is a coin toss and will be very close either way.

I can live with your other comparisons, but comparing any other "rushing QB" in the league to LJ is just stupid. That's not an "objective" thought I would stick with.

I already mentioned that i’m not saying that the ravens can’t win.

And when I say most, I’m not saying most people in general. When I say most, I’m saying most of the people who’ve had concerns.

I didn’t say that it was us against the world at all. The narrative has changed quite a bit on the bills this year due to how good they’ve been this year.

How can it be a “stupid” thought when the bills held Lamar to 40 yards rushing last year? That thought seems pretty objective to me based off of what we did to him last year. Again, not saying that Lamar can’t play well against us but we have shown that we can shut him down even if he is better than some of the rushing QBs we’ve faced this year.

1 hour ago, BillsFan619 said:

I like the word you just used; objectively.

I realize that the ravens have a good team and that they could win. That said, what most people are concerned about or even what talking heads are talking about as the reasons that the ravens will win, if you look at it objectively, the bills have risen up to those occasions that they deem concerning almost every time this year.

Examples:

-Concern- Lamar is a rushing QB. Objective thought- We’ve faced a couple rushing QBs this year and the highest total that one of them had was 61 yards

-Concern- The Ravens are a top defense. Objective thought- The bills are either undefeated or have lost one game to a top 10 defense

-Concern- The Ravens blitz well and often. Objective thought- Josh Allen is playing amazing vs. defenses that blitz

Objectively speaking, I agree the Bills are the better team and will likely win, but the weather might really skew things. Snow and wind favor a rushing team, which the Ravens are (on steroids) and the Bills are decidedly not. If Allen is throwing into 15 mph snowy gusts, he's going to have a hard time hitting his receivers, whereas pretty much nothing changes for the Ravens. Even so, I STILL think the Bills will win because I think they have more will to win. They want this badly, and I don't think they have any illusions that it will be easy. 

• Like (+1) 1

So correct me if I am wrong.

But narrative around the Bills vs Ravens sounds like this.

How can the Bills contain Lamar Jackson?  

How can the Bills do anything against this amazing awesome one of a kind man to man blitzing ravens defense? 

It seems it is assumed the Bills will fail majority of the time doing the above while the Ravens will succeed at everything they do.

Edit:

They keep saying Ravens are hottest team cause they won 6 in a row. 

- Weird, Bills have won 7 in a row.  

They keep assuming that since Lamar won a playoff game that he will now have that off his back will just roll through the playoffs.

Because the RAVENS are the hottest team and no one wants to play them......  

Edited by CaliBills
  • Like (+1) 5
  • Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, CaliBills said:

So correct me if I am wrong.

But narrative around the Bills vs Ravens sounds like this.

How can the Bills contain Lamar Jackson?  

How can the Bills do anything against this amazing awesome one of a kind man to man blitzing ravens defense? 

It seems it is assumed the Bills will fail majority of the time doing the above while the Ravens will succeed at everything they do.

Edit:

They keep saying Ravens are hottest team cause they won 6 in a row. 

- Weird, Bills have won 7 in a row.  

They keep assuming that since Lamar won a playoff game that he will now have that off his back will just roll through the playoffs.

Because the RAVENS are the hottest team and no one wants to play them......  

sums it up perfectly. been that way all week.... i'm still trying to make sense of it.

i eventually went ahead and shut the TV off in my office today because every sports channel i went to had the same narrative.

....... but i guess who can blame them? its not like the Bills went 13-3 with the 5th hardest schedule in the NFL or anything.....

Edited by Stank_Nasty
  • Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Penfield45 said:

I’ll be absolutely sick if we lose this weekend and the browns pull off the upset and then go on to beat the Ravens and end up in the SB

The Baker love affair will be absolutely unbearable 

not sure why so many Bills fans love rooting for the Browns, I cannot stand that team 

I don't mind the team--in fact, I'd like to see them succeed after so many down years. But what do people see in Baker Mayfield? I must be missing it. Is it his persona in the commercials? In interviews, he comes across as an insufferable twit. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, scribo said:

I think Buffalo needs to stick with 6-man protection. Our offense's advantage is that our four WRs are so good they cannot all be covered on any one play. This is where Josh Allen's top-tier ability to scramble tilts the scales, allowing to have an extra man going out.

Actually, I wouldn't mind 6 and 7 man protections for most of the game.  The Bills do a good job picking up the blitz and if given enough time they will get open.   

28 minutes ago, BillsFan619 said:

How can it be a “stupid” thought when the bills held Lamar to 40 yards rushing last year? That thought seems pretty objective to me based off of what we did to him last year. Again, not saying that Lamar can’t play well against us but we have shown that we can shut him down even if he is better than some of the rushing QBs we’ve faced this year.

Okay, you want to go back to last year's game and stats? Now we're stretching to the brink of objectivity, but I'm happy to go that route.

My point was that you compared him to "rushing QBs". He's a next level runner and the best athlete on the field.

Two things I think are going to surprise folks when the game is over:

1.  Buffalo played better run defense than expected, and

2.  Baltimore was much better at throwing the ball than people expected.

Playoff pregame narratives don't always hold up.

Exhibits:

1.  Steelers barf all over the first period and lay the biggest playoff 1st quarter egg the world has ever seen,

2.  Bears defense played the heavily favored Saints tough all game long

3.  Washington was in the game at the end with a rookie 3rd string QB.

4.  Buffalo was going to roll the Colts and Taylor was going to run wild on the Bills

5.  Seattle had found their defense and their offense was going to do enough to stymie the Rams and their 9-digit QB.

6.  Henry was going to roll up a 100 yard on the Ravens

• Like (+1) 3

3 minutes ago, AllDayLJ said:

Okay, you want to go back to last year's game and stats? Now we're stretching to the brink of objectivity, but I'm happy to go that route.

My point was that you compared him to "rushing QBs". He's a next level runner and the best athlete on the field.

I see your point about being a next level runner.

We’ll have to agree to disagree when it comes to him being the best athlete on the field though. If Josh Allen and Lamar Jackson are on the same field, Josh Allen is the better athlete in my opinion.

Good back and forth, bro!

• Awesome! (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, Magox said:

Actually, I wouldn't mind 6 and 7 man protections for most of the game.  The Bills do a good job picking up the blitz and if given enough time they will get open.   

so we have 3-4 receivers vs 5-6 DBs?

• Haha (+1) 1

No small part of why I want the Bills to win is so we don't have to endure seven months of "The Bills struggled in the playoffs when it really counted." That and the Jackson/Mahomes deification would be enough to drive me to drink. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, NewEra said:

Yeah, I heard everyone talking about that.  Relatively speaking, the wild card round isn’t a “big game”.  Sure, we all know how important it is....but  no one cares, and it’s part of the reason that we’re getting frowned on. 

I don't like that excuse though (not saying you.)  It's not like the Ravens did any better against the Titans.  Our game was at least exciting.  Their game was a snooze fest for the most part.

Edited by Scott7975

7 minutes ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

Are you being sarcastic or serious? Please tell me the wind will be below 20 mph. 

Why would I be being sarcastic. Lol. It's been getting better all day. Chance of snow and high winds going down. Looks like the bad stuff is going to come after the game overnight. 

• Like (+1) 1