Divisional Playoff round: Ravens at Bills on Saturday Night Football

YoloinOhio

On 1/12/2021 at 12:02 PM, uninja said:

Felt pretty lukewarm about the Beasley signing when it went down, but he bet on himself that he would shine in an offense that let his skills do the talking and he's been 1000% right

He's not the strongest, or the tallest, or the biggest guy on the field but he's going to get open and catch the ball when it matters most.

Beasley is like the Buffalo version of Wes Welker IMO

• Like (+1) 4

7 hours ago, Golden said:

Seeing as Mahomes appears to be the comparison for Josh.

Below are his stats against Baltimore this year:

Mahomes went 31 for 42 for 385 yards and averaged 6.5 yards on his four rushing attempts.
       Lamar was not playing as well as he has recently, but the D is the same. 

Mahomes devours their blitz. Bad matchup for for their D.

5 hours ago, Chandler#81 said:

Some stats to make you feel better.

(they do me, anyway)

4279BF71-AA13-4258-8F75-8F49165B007F.jpeg

A little deceptive putting these together as the passer rating is only for Wild Card games and the SOS is obviously season long. The SOS data is, to me, more relevant for this weekend in terms of giving me hope the Bills are the superior team. Josh having a much better passer rating than Lamar in the WC game is not surprising since Jackson killed Tennessee with his running and could possibly do that again this weekend.  We need a similar gap in passer ratings this weekend for a Bills win. 

7 hours ago, billsherd said:

Interesting, Ravens' DC is saying that Allen knows they will come after him. Usually you don't hear that from opposition coaches. I think he might be bluffing, they will blitz but I believe less than the 44% they have it going. 

I wonder if they are going to try to copy the Colts? Say they're blitzing but sell out to stop the pass, daring us to run Singletary figuring he won't hurt them?

Listening to “The Opening Drive” with Solomon Wilcotts and Ed Mccaferry as I’m typing this. Here’s the summary of their Bills-Ravens preview..... 5 minutes of how fast Lamar Jackson is and then another 5 min of how good the Ravens D is at getting the ball. That’s it. That’s the preview. No joke. It was 10 minutes or Lamar Jackson talk and Ravens defense..... SERIOUSLY? 

I find this funny beings the bills offense scored at a higher clip during the regular season and in the playoffs. And our defense caused 4 more TO’s on the season. I really enjoy these guys analysis every morning so that was super disappointing.  

Hello, Bills fans! My first post here (had to wait a long time for approval!). 

I have been a fan of the Baltimore Ravens since 1996 (and the Baltimore Colts long before that), but I am not here to talk smack. I’m here because I like to debate the merits of the game with fans of other teams (I post a lot on a Steelers forum). 

I hoped for this matchup rather than the Chiefs. Not because I simply chalked in a W against the Bills for a trip to the AFCC, but due to the fact that KC has been the Ravens’ nemesis the past few years. So were the Titans, but the Chiefs (when on their game) are on another level. 

I have reservations about this game. If both teams are on their marks, it should be a close game (27-24, etc.). The Ravens should be able to control the clock via the rushing attack, limiting the time Allen has to score points with his arm. But the Bills should have success in the air and can score points quickly with the deep ball (trust me, as a Terps fan I know all about Diggs). 

I think this game could come down to intangibles that cannot be determined beforehand. A pick-six, an untimely fumble, a long return on a kick-off or punt, or as last week showed us, either a terrible or gutless call by a head coach (yeah, that’s YOU Tomlin and Vrabel). 

Both QB’s are very new in the careers. Jackson is now in his 4th playoff game, but just one his first last week against the Titans. Allen played in his first playoff game last week (and Buffalo’s first since 1995), and came away with a W. So this is the first second playoff game in the same season for both. That’s a lot on a young man’s shoulders. Allen can run, but no one is calling on him to win with his legs. Jackson can pass (don’t be fooled by stats like total yardage-look up his TD:INT ratio in the red zone), but no one is expecting him to win this game with his arm. If either Allen’s passing or Jackson’s rushing gets stymied early, it could have a big impact on their psyche. We likely can't even comprehend the stress of the responsibility on their shoulders. 

I believe the Ravens have what it takes to win this game, but it will not be easy. They have a HC who’s very experienced in post-season play and will not be rattled if things go awry early. They have likely the best kicker-punter-long snapper combo in the NFL, and if it comes down to a last-second 49 yd FG for the W, I’d take Tucker over Bass any day of the week and twice on Saturday. He won’t get the jitters lining up for a big kick. 

But if the Ravens lose, I hope the Bills win it all (even if I lost big money years ago betting on the Bills in the SB lol). They have an excellent fan base that’s supported the team for a long time when down on their luck (and playing in the same division as the Pats). So does Cleveland. But I just don’t see them beating the Chiefs. If they do, and it’s Brown-Bills in the AFCC, it will be the story of the 2020 season. Although I’d rather see Browns-Ravens lol. 

• Like (+1) 5

6 minutes ago, Crow-Magnon said:

Hello, Bills fans! My first post here (had to wait a long time for approval!). 

I have been a fan of the Baltimore Ravens since 1996 (and the Baltimore Colts long before that), but I am not here to talk smack. I’m here because I like to debate the merits of the game with fans of other teams (I post a lot on a Steelers forum). 

I hoped for this matchup rather than the Chiefs. Not because I simply chalked in a W against the Bills for a trip to the AFCC, but due to the fact that KC has been the Ravens’ nemesis the past few years. So were the Titans, but the Chiefs (when on their game) are on another level. 

I have reservations about this game. If both teams are on their marks, it should be a close game (27-24, etc.). The Ravens should be able to control the clock via the rushing attack, limiting the time Allen has to score points with his arm. But the Bills should have success in the air and can score points quickly with the deep ball (trust me, as a Terps fan I know all about Diggs). 

I think this game could come down to intangibles that cannot be determined beforehand. A pick-six, an untimely fumble, a long return on a kick-off or punt, or as last week showed us, either a terrible or gutless call by a head coach (yeah, that’s YOU Tomlin and Vrabel). 

Both QB’s are very new in the careers. Jackson is now in his 4th playoff game, but just one his first last week against the Titans. Allen played in his first playoff game last week (and Buffalo’s first since 1995), and came away with a W. So this is the first second playoff game in the same season for both. That’s a lot on a young man’s shoulders. Allen can run, but no one is calling on him to win with his legs. Jackson can pass (don’t be fooled by stats like total yardage-look up his TD:INT ratio in the red zone), but no one is expecting him to win this game with his arm. If either Allen’s passing or Jackson’s rushing gets stymied early, it could have a big impact on their psyche. We likely can't even comprehend the stress of the responsibility on their shoulders. 

I believe the Ravens have what it takes to win this game, but it will not be easy. They have a HC who’s very experienced in post-season play and will not be rattled if things go awry early. They have likely the best kicker-punter-long snapper combo in the NFL, and if it comes down to a last-second 49 yd FG for the W, I’d take Tucker over Bass any day of the week and twice on Saturday. He won’t get the jitters lining up for a big kick. 

But if the Ravens lose, I hope the Bills win it all (even if I lost big money years ago betting on the Bills in the SB lol). They have an excellent fan base that’s supported the team for a long time when down on their luck (and playing in the same division as the Pats). So does Cleveland. But I just don’t see them beating the Chiefs. If they do, and it’s Brown-Bills in the AFCC, it will be the story of the 2020 season. Although I’d rather see Browns-Ravens lol. 

Glad to have you. This is Allen’s 3rd playoff game. 

30 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

I wonder if they are going to try to copy the Colts? Say they're blitzing but sell out to stop the pass, daring us to run Singletary figuring he won't hurt them?

Ain’t that what the Pats did? The first time we ran all over them and the second time we had our answer in the passing game. 

10 minutes ago, Stank_Nasty said:

Listening to “The Opening Drive” with Solomon Wilcotts and Ed Mccaferry as I’m typing this. Here’s the summary of their Bills-Ravens preview..... 5 minutes of how fast Lamar Jackson is and then another 5 min of how good the Ravens D is at getting the ball. That’s it. That’s the preview. No joke. It was 10 minutes or Lamar Jackson talk and Ravens defense..... SERIOUSLY? 

I find this funny beings the bills offense scored at a higher clip during the regular season and in the playoffs. And our defense caused 4 more TO’s on the season. I really enjoy these guys analysis every morning so that was super disappointing.  

Not many people giving us a chance

1 minute ago, Stank_Nasty said:

Glad to have you. This is Allen’s 3rd playoff game. 

You’re right. My mistake. Forgot about that! 

Interesting both Allen and Jackson both won their first playoff game last week and now face each other. You can’t script that! 

2 minutes ago, BananaB said:

Ain’t that what the Pats did? The first time we ran all over them and the second time we had our answer in the passing game. 

Not many people giving us a chance

Both guys on the Locked on NFL podcast quite objectively picked the Bills

Edited by YoloinOhio
  • Like (+1) 1

Most are doing well.. Baltimores D is better than Indy.  They run the ball better than Indy so they win.  I think Buffalo wins similar to GB vs Tennessee a few weeks ago.  Its going to snow to some degree.  Buffalo gets up early and Baltimore folds.

These guys are better than this take...

Florio has been pretty bad latley. On another video out now, Rodney basically mocked him for overrating the significance of the Colts performance versus us.

Sims can do better...and its not because they are picking the Ravens, i get that, and its not crazy to pick the Ravens but...

Double Diggs? Spy Allen? Maybe Ravens can put 12 men on the field with his ideas...which Sims does not correct and agrees are great ideas.

Dont they think any of the teams the Bills have faced tried to take out Diggs? Bill Belicheck? Rams? Colts?

They neglect the notion the Bills have a good run action offense despite the lack of running stats. We screen, short pass, 

Again, a wrong impression Allen is a one man show. He spreads the ball out, and even if Diggs gets limited, we have and effectively work Beasely, Brown, Davis, Knox, etc...

Edited by RichRiderBills
  • Like (+1) 3

27 minutes ago, Stank_Nasty said:

Yeah I heard and thought the same things, very disappointing. It didn't sound like an analysis of the game, more of I'm setting my predictions up for later on because the Ravens are a lock. I'm amazed how simplistic much of the analysis leading up to this game has been.

Just now, RichRiderBills said:

These guys are better than this take...

Florio has been pretty bad latley. Rodney badically mocked him for overrating the significance of the Colts performance versus us.

Sims can do better...and its not because they are picking the Ravens, i get that, and its not crazy to pick the Ravens but...

Double Diggs? Spy Allen? Maybe Ravens can put 12 men on the field with his ideas...which Sims does not correct and agrees are great ideas.

Dont they think any of the teams the Bills have faced tried to take out Diggs? 

They neglect the notion the Bills have a good run action offense despite the lack of running stats. We screen, short pass, 

Again, a wrong impression Allen is a one man show. He spreads the ball out, and even if Diggs gets limited, we have and effectively work Beasely, Brown, Davis, Knox, etc...

If you're doubling diggs - you don't have 2 safeties, and you aren't blitzing.  If you spy allen with a LB, that likely means max 4 man rush, and spies are usually within 5 yards of the LOS.  Seems like you'd then have a big gaping hole 10 yards down field in the center of the field.  

3 of their top 10 paid players are corners, 3 more are pass-rushers.  Rush 4 or 5, occaisional blitz and play man.  I wouldn't get too creative here - you will get burned occaisionally, but pressure leads to turnovers and thats probably going to be the difference here.  

• Like (+1) 2