Divisional Playoff round: Ravens at Bills on Saturday Night Football

YoloinOhio

Seems pretty clear that we will go 4 wide with Diggs-Brown-Beasley-Davis and McKenzie mixed in (if all are healthy).  Heavy dose of Singletary as the back with Yeldon(?) mixed in for a breather.  Knox/Smith used situationally. 

If we go that route, as it seems we should, the only thing that could get us out of it is if our guys don't win their battles quick enough and the Ravens keep sending heat that gets home.  

Of course, if Allen can extend plays, we could see fireworks down the field.  

Going to be a really interesting matchup.

• Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, TheFunPolice said:

Lamar does the same thing so manty times a game: roll out to the right... roll.. roll... then right at the sideline throw it to a WR on the edge.

I predict he does that but throws an INT this Saturday!

It seems predictable when you watch them play, but he's so elusive and can also turn those into big runs if he spots a hole.  I'm really curious to see how we defend him.

We're really going to need that INT, or a couple of them.  This game feels like one that will be decided by the turnover battle.

16 minutes ago, SCBills said:

Seems pretty clear that we will go 4 wide with Diggs-Brown-Beasley-Davis and McKenzie mixed in (if all are healthy).  Heavy dose of Singletary as the back with Yeldon(?) mixed in for a breather.  Knox/Smith used situationally. 

If we go that route, as it seems we should, the only thing that could get us out of it is if our guys don't win their battles quick enough and the Ravens keep sending heat that gets home.  

Of course, if Allen can extend plays, we could see fireworks down the field.  

Going to be a really interesting matchup.

I think the critical guys this game will be Davis or Brown or McKenzie. Ravens have 3 solid corners— but I think the 4 and 5 receivers will get some opportunities. 

• Like (+1) 1

Disappointed at a Stills call up ? Strange. This is matchup football in a game to advance to the Conference Championship. I will not be disappointed in any additional players the Bills decide to call up. We’ve waited for a game like this for years. Winning it is all that matters. 

• Like (+1) 1

31 minutes ago, Boatdrinks said:

Disappointed at a Stills call up ? Strange. This is matchup football in a game to advance to the Conference Championship. I will not be disappointed in any additional players the Bills decide to call up. We’ve waited for a game like this for years. Winning it is all that matters. 

Antonio Williams has practiced with us a good portion of the season, showed some moxie vs. the Fish, and we need a RB (all the best, Zack), especially one that might well have more luck against the Ravens’ Dline than TJ.

Stills just got here, and, for whatever reason(s), didn’t exactly light it up at his last stop. Potentially a capable addition to the squad in an emergency this month, and may fit into the mix at WR next year.

Edited by Rhode Island Red

The more I look at this game and watch Jackson, there are definitely things we can take advantage of if we do the right things.  I'm not sure if it is his throwing motion, or his mechanics, or something else, but there are times if you can get in his face and force him to throw, especially while moving, that he will throw the ball a little high fairly often.  If our coverage is tight on the back end, I think we may be able to force a couple of turnovers Saturday. 

The more I think about this game, here is a basic idea of what I do on defense. 

My goal is to contain Jackson early and give our offense a few chances to jump out to an early lead.  That said, I am utilizing some faster, quicker players to shadow Jackson and mixing up who that may be on every play.  I am confident Tre will take away whoever he is covering in this game.  I think Milano and Edmunds can do a good enough job on Andrews and the other TEs they may have and I think you can play one high safety most of the time and be just fine.  I know that TEs killed us last week, but there is no doubt in my mid that Rivers us a better, more accurate thrower than Jackson is.  Rivers was pinpoint on a ton of throws last week.  Very rarely do I see Jackson beating teams by throwing darts to the perfect spots.  He may know where to go with the ball, but he is not as pinpoint as other QBs with his throws.  That alone will help us slow down the TEs better this week than last.

With our safeties being interchangeable, and with a really good tackling CB in Johnson, I am bringing a lot of guys into the box completely disguising who will be acting as the "spy" on any given play.  It could be Hyde, Poyer, Johnson, Edmunds, or Milano on any given play, but I am using a mix of them and their sole job is to contain Jackson to areas on the field where there is a lot of "trash" he would have to navigate through to take off.  I want him having to think about where he may have an opening to escape rather than actually see it.  If you can slow him down mentally, you will in turn slow him down a bit physically.  As for our d-line, I am have out DTs get up field as fast as possible and while I want the ends rushing, I want them using more of a cautious rush.  If they don't beat their guy right away, I almost want them to slow down, and even fall back a little to slip into possible run lanes and be in position to attack Jackson if he decides to take off.  I would rather take my chances giving Jackson 4 seconds to throw the ball than a chance to hit a big run because we were overly aggressive up field.

If we can find a way to contain him early, I am hoping the additions on offense we made this year are good enough to change the entire dynamic of the game we played last year.  Last year, we couldn't score.  The Ravens knew this and were never forced out of their normal offense.  They were able to stick with what they normally do the entire game and they eventually hit 1 big play that won them the game.  This year, I am hoping if the defense can slow Jackson and that offense enough early, the offense can take advantage and maybe get up a score or even 2.  If that happens, and Jackson is forced to throw it more often, while he will have his success here and there, I think we can force him into some mistakes. 

I can't get myself to a point that I think we are going to roll in this game, or definitely even win it, but I feel better about playing them this year than I did last year and that's mainly because of our offense.  I think we have an offense that can force the issue a little bit and while I don't think our defense is nearly as good as it was last year, I think if the offense can put pressure on the Ravens offense to have to keep up, I think that will make up for some of the shortfalls our defense may have.  There are many ways to approach this game.  I outlined a couple things above I would look to do, but I do believe there are ways to contain the Ravens and force them to be something that they rather not be.

Go Bills!

• Like (+1) 8
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

2 hours ago, IBTG81 said:

Couldn’t disagree more. The Ravens are awful when you spread them out and go 4 wide. Awful. 
We are going to see a bunch of that. 

And add a TE occasionally...

Their MLB shows too early of a shift to help with coverage, Josh is up the middle for 10-15yds, or more.  I think the Raven's D has some significant challenges to deffend.

I've gotta say - after years of playing against Brady, who would burn you EVERY time you tried to blitz, it's cool to be on the other side of it.  Allen has quietly become one of the top QB's against the blitz. 

I love the thought of a team trying to blitz us now.  Allen knows how to read it & adjust to it, our line knows how to block it, and with our receivers, it will generally leave someone wide open.

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Success said:

It seems predictable when you watch them play, but he's so elusive and can also turn those into big runs if he spots a hole.  I'm really curious to see how we defend him.

We're really going to need that INT, or a couple of them.  This game feels like one that will be decided by the turnover battle.

we need to fix our tackling issues or Lamar will run for huge chunks 

I wish Moss hadn't gotten injured. We could really use a hard running, north-south player in the backfield this week. The Ravens run defense is quite vulnerable (last week notwithstanding).

While I don't expect Antonio Williams to be active due to his inexperience relative to that of Yeldon and Freeman, I must admit that his running style would be a welcome addition this week. His likely weaknesses as a pass catcher and pass blocker (I don't know this for sure, I'm only guessing, based on his lack of meaningful playing time) probably offset whatever contributions his powerful running would make.

Alas, I may have to accept that our "power runner" this Saturday will once again be the guy wearing #17.

Edited by Logic
  • Thank you (+1) 1

4 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

Especially if Marcus Peters is in coverage. I suspect he will draw Humphrey though. The thing to watch with Humphrey is that he has forced 8 fumbles this season. That’s insane. 

Humphrey goes and covers the slot receiver most times