Divisional Playoff round: Ravens at Bills on Saturday Night Football

YoloinOhio

3 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

I don’t remember this. They did coach together for 8 years in Philly though.

4 of those games were against the same two teams as they played against the Steelers and Browns twice.  A 5th game was against WFT.  A little misleading imo.

Baltimore plays man.  Allen eats that for breakfast.

• Like (+1) 1

I think the Bills and Ravens are the two best teams in the league the past 2 months. We all follow the Bills so know what they have been doing. Most only casually see or hear what the Ravens have been up to. It is important to not get caught up on the early season issues. Lets take a look:

Held 6 out of last 7 under 20 points.

Last 4 games held opponents under 300 yards of offense; Only did this twice in first 13 games. 

Only 1 TD given up in 1 first quarter and 3 first half TD's given up in last 5 games of season. 

4 of last 5 regular season wins were by double digits.

Offense has rushed for over 200 in 5 of last 6. Only did this twice in first 11 games. 

It is going to be a tough game. The key is jumping out and taking a lead. Dont let BAL lean on its D and running game by giving up early points. I dont think either team will turn the ball over. Going to be a tough. Much tougher than Pit would have been. 

1 hour ago, Boatdrinks said:

I don’t have last year’s Ravens game on the DVR anymore lol, anyone remember who spied Jackson in that game.

I don't believe they were using a spy.

Edmunds had a good day iirc. How about snap counts? How big was Lawson, Phillips , Star etc. I still think many elements of that game plan will be used , with a few wrinkles by McD / Frazier because the Ravens are mostly the same. Other players on our D will have to step into those roles, but curious how it was done. I think Poyer or Hyde blew the coverage on the big catch and run TD by their TE. 

Shaq was big.  Very good at setting the edge.  Lorenzo Alexander was HUGE.  Played 70% of the snaps.  Edmunds and Milano were also on the field for 100% of the game, so we actually played something that looked more like base 3-4 for much of the game (but with different roles) - I *think* this is what Zo called "Buffalo" or "heavy Nickle"

Star and Murphy also played a lot. 
https://www.pro-football-reference.com/boxscores/201912080buf.htm

The big catch and run was very probably a rare miscommunication between Hyde and Poyer.

• Thank you (+1) 1

28 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Not sure if it's been mentioned but it appears this game is SOLD OUT.

EDIT: Judging by the reaction I'm assuming it was a while ago.

Awesome! This means it will be televised locally! YES!!

• Haha (+1) 2

38 minutes ago, wjag said:

That's the issue.  It is talked about reverently, expectantly and aspirationally on here, but it ain't here.  The sweeps to the sidelines and/or the run between the tackles, -- pick your poison --, work equally well against this defense.  

Bills D is missing several pieces from last year. The replacements have not performed as hoped. The Ravens also stifled Allen ( less than 150 yds. passing and six sacks). Yes, he has taken a huge step up, and they have Diggs now--- still that Raven D. is very tough.

25 minutes ago, ngbills said:

I think the Bills and Ravens are the two best teams in the league the past 2 months. We all follow the Bills so know what they have been doing. Most only casually see or hear what the Ravens have been up to. It is important to not get caught up on the early season issues. Lets take a look:

Held 6 out of last 7 under 20 points.

Last 4 games held opponents under 300 yards of offense; Only did this twice in first 13 games. 

Only 1 TD given up in 1 first quarter and 3 first half TD's given up in last 5 games of season. 

4 of last 5 regular season wins were by double digits.

Offense has rushed for over 200 in 5 of last 6. Only did this twice in first 11 games. 

It is going to be a tough game. The key is jumping out and taking a lead. Dont let BAL lean on its D and running game by giving up early points. I dont think either team will turn the ball over. Going to be a tough. Much tougher than Pit would have been. 

Ever since they got over their covid stuff, and re-emphasized the run game, they have been rolling.  Their game is to get ahead in the first quarter and then pound the rock.  They have THE best kicker in the league.  Their punter is top notch.  They are heavy into analytics and likely to go more times than not on 4th down.  Their Dline with Judon, Williams, Campbell and Wolfe is solid.  They have a rookie ML in Queen.  They have a solid secondary.  Peters being the most likely to be targeted.   KC shredded their man-to-man early in the season and essentially routed them.    They run a three-headed rushing attack with Edwards, Dobbins and Ingram (inj).  They are healthy as any team heading into the playoffs.  They are brash team.  Their TE is lethal down the middle and out on short routes to the left or right.  Their best receiver is Brown who is in full diva mode this year.  He was absent during their dip but is back and running good routes.  Their other guy, Boykin makes enough splash plays to be a concern.  The strength of last year's team was the TEs.  They let Hurst (he beat the Bills on that route last year) leave for Atlanta so they aren't as deep at TE as they were.  Last point, they lost Stanley, LT, a few weeks back (just after they paid him extortion LT dollars 🙂) and seemingly don't miss him in the run game.  So kudos to them and their depth.  

Edited by wjag
  • Like (+1) 2

12 minutes ago, ngbills said:

Held 6 out of last 7 under 20 points.  NYG, CIN , JAX, DAL and PIT are not good offenses.  Did stop TEN but CLE put up a 40 burger in a loss.

Last 4 games held opponents under 300 yards of offense; Only did this twice in first 13 games.  Together, JAX, NYG and CIN do not have an NFL QB  

Only 1 TD given up in 1 first quarter and 3 first half TD's given up in last 5 games of season.  See above

4 of last 5 regular season wins were by double digits.  PIT, JAX, NYG and CIN are not the Mt Rushmore of teams 

Offense has rushed for over 200 in 5 of last 6. Only did this twice in first 11 games.  Only PIT had a D in top 16.

• Thank you (+1) 1

Hey just rewatched the extended highlights of the 2019 game....wow , i forgot how close that game was. Josh was erratic. Bailed on a few pockets earlier than he would now. But there the last Brown pass was dead on to potentially tie that one, despite a lot of mistakes.

After rewatching, my same worries remain; Balt getting sacks and fumbles, and Lamar making a few electric plays.

The long Hurst TD ..man we gotta stop these TEs.

The big difference this year, a noticeably better Allen, espc, versus the blitz, then Diggs and Gabe Davis i hope, more big plays from Bills offense. Im not totally sure of we will get better line play, but Josh needs a quicker release than last season.  No way Balt will limit us to 210 total yards this go around.

We will be right there with them, and i think we will see a lot of the same looks.

I agree about jumping out early...was crazy to hear this 10 point comeback @ Tenn was Lamar's biggest comeback. 

Edited by RichRiderBills

13 hours ago, Virgil said:

Am I the only one who hates the Ravens offense and thinks it’s gimmicky?  I understand strategy and run what works for you, but I still don’t think Lamar is a legit QB and they succeed by running a college offense that no one else does; which gives you an advantage week to week because people aren’t used to scheming to stop it. 

I don’t mind scrambling QB’s and the RPO, I just don’t like making it your entire offense.  Man up and play football 

Lamar threw for 26 TDs, 9 INTs, and completed 64.4%

Baker Mayfield threw for 26TDs, 8 INTs, and completed 62.8%

Matt Stafford threw for 26TDs, 10 INTs, and completed 64.2%

Are they not legit QBs?

Also, if you think the RPO is the Ravens entire offense, you need to take a deeper look at the Ravens play-calling

Also, playing the QB position (or any position) is about finding ways to be effective, not about trying to fit someone's definition of "manliness"

10 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

makes me want to puke

12 minutes ago, RichRiderBills said:

Hey just rewatched the extended highlights of the 2019 game....wow , i forgot how close that game was. Josh was erratic. Bailed on a few pockets earlier than he would now. But there the last Brown pass was dead on to potentially tie that one, despite a lot of mistakes.

After rewatching, my same worries remain; Balt getting sacks and fumbles, and Lamar making a few electric plays.

The long Hurst TD ..man we gotta stop these TEs.

The big difference this year, a noticeably better Allen, espc, versus the blitz, then Diggs and Gabe Davis i hope, more big plays from Bills offense. Im not totally sure of we will get better line play, but Josh needs a quicker release than last season. 

We will be right there with them, and i think we will see a lot of the same looks.

I agree about jumping out early...was crazy to hear this 10 point comeback @ Tenn was Lamar's biggest comeback. 

I don't know about this last wildcard week but the 2 worst games of Lamar's career are pretty much his last 2 playoff games before this year.

Wouldn't be surprised if he's gotten his playoff yips out of his system come next week. 

1 hour ago, TBBills said:

This game will be much easier for the Bills than the Colts. I think with Colts they just made so many mental errors that I don't see them making those this week.

I disagree.  I think Baltimore is better than Indy.  Jackson is a problem 

• Haha (+1) 1

13 hours ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

Mahomes threw for 385 yards against them, and Baker for 340.  Maybe those are aberrations, but I think we will be able to get our yards.

Those were the only 300 yard passing games the Ravens gave up all year so they look like aberrations*.  Also, the Chiefs and Browns ran for over 100 yards in those games.  

The Rams and 49ers are also top passing defenses.  We gained more air yards on them than any team this season.  We were only the 7th highest in passing yards vs. Picksburgh.  

I don't know what any of this means but thought it was intersting.

*Stat from pro football reference for passing yards allowed includes sack yardage.  Interestingly enough, these numbers do not tie to the offensive totals per PFR.  If we look at Bills v Rams, they are credited with 274 yards passing defense but Allen has 311 passing yards when adjusted for sacks.  

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/ram/2020.htm

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/A/AlleJo02.htm

Read 3 articles that said that Titans had the most success slowing down the Ravens by rushing 3 down lineman, having 3 more linebackers play off the line allowing them space to watch the beginning of the play and then shoot gaps, clogging the middle on throws, and worrying less about guessing correctly on the RPO's, and making Lamar throw to the edges.  

I keep thinking we have Tre White, and do you put him on Brown all-day? Because it's Brown in my opinion that makes plays when Lamar escapes on broken plays. 

Doesn't this lead us really to playing all 11 people closer to the line and taking the chance that the Ravens are not going to hit deep throws that much?

• Like (+1) 3

6 minutes ago, Jauronimo said:

Those were the only 300 yard passing games the Ravens gave up all year so they look like aberrations*.  Also, the Chiefs and Browns ran for over 100 yards in those games.  

The Rams and 49ers are also top passing defenses.  We gained more air yards on them than any team this season.  We were only the 7th highest in passing yards vs. Picksburgh.  

I don't know what any of this means but thought it was intersting.

*Stat from pro football reference for passing yards allowed includes sack yardage.  Interestingly enough, these numbers do not tie to the offensive totals per PFR.  If we look at Bills v Rams, they are credited with 274 yards passing defense but Allen has 311 passing yards when adjusted for sacks.  

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/ram/2020.htm

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/A/AlleJo02.htm

thanks— good stuff! 

i forgot, but I would Add that Watson had 275 yards. 

what makes it tough to figure out is that the ravens really didn’t play any elite QB’s, other than Mahomes and Watson. (I don’t think Mayfield is elite, and I do truly believe that game was a total Aberration for everyone— it was l the most insane game of the year). 

I actually like our chances a lot in this game...a lot more after looking at the metrics and stats.

Ravens blitz the most in the NFL at 44.1% but are only 11th in pressure rate(24.0%), 20th in QB Hurry rate(9.1%) and only have 39 sacks, 14th in the NFL, 1 more than the Bills, although the Bills have an edge in sack rate(6.6% to 6.5%). What this says is they blitz a lot but don't get there very often and even worse, force QBs to hurry their throws even less.  This is basically what the Dolphins did and they got smoked.  Baltimore has good corners, so did Miami and so did the Rams. That isn't going to help them if they think they can rely on that to stop Allen. 

These are the types of games the Bills basically go off on offense and put up huge passing yardage totals.  If the Bills can get up big early the Ravens are in a lot of trouble, similar to what happened against the Chiefs, who torched their man coverage.

Edited by Big Turk
  • Like (+1) 5
  • Awesome! (+1) 1