Potential for interesting weather if game played Sunday

Big Turk

49 minutes ago, Nextmanup said:

The forecast keeps changing.  

I just saw a forecast saying winds 10-20 MPH, blowing from scoreboard towards the tunnel at game time.

It sounds like it's going to snow to some degree....the temp will be around 30 F at game time.

I think the wind will play a role.

We could get freezing rain, snow, wind, as others have said they are even calling for a mini lake effect system developing with emphasis on only some locations in WNY, but including Orchard Park.

My guess is the weather impacts the game.

man, I really am praying for the wind to be pretty calm. It would royally backfire to have gotten home field advantage to only be done in by the Buffalo weather. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

man, I really am praying for the wind to be pretty calm. It would royally backfire to have gotten home field advantage to only be done in by the Buffalo weather. 

I concur but not gonna happen, High winds now forecast

23 hours ago, Whites Bay said:

60% chance of snow, and west winds 9 mph - 13 mph.  Wonder what that means for the gusts?

Sharp, high-speed jukes are going to be hard for both teams.  Straight ahead football.  Hope the lines are healthy.

Sorry to bump my own post from yesterday, but I thought it would help to see how the forecast has changed side-by-side.  The new forecast:

Saturday:  A chance of snow showers. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 37. West wind 8 to 15 mph. Chance of precipitation is 40%. New snow accumulation of less than a half inch possible.

Saturday night:  Snow showers likely, mainly after 11pm. Cloudy, with a low around 31. Breezy, with a west wind 16 to 21 mph. Chance of precipitation is 60%. New snow accumulation of 1 to 3 inches possible.

So the biggest change over the past 24 hours is the wind.  We're now talking upwards of 20 mph by the second half (up from 13 mph yesterday morning).  And if a snow band settles on the stadium...buckle up.

might be chilly.

weather could have equal (bad) effect for both teams. it will come down to stopping the run and avoiding/creating turnovers. weather is and has always been a factor in buffalo, especially in January. it has been to buffalos advantage in the past and with JA's arm strength to make some throws, could prove to be an advantage again.

just depends on how the wind and precipitation affects the throws/catches? for both teams.

my feeling is so far with 14 (15 minus HM) wins and all of them battle of their own, weather should not be the determining factor on winning or losing. it will be how you adjust as a team to it and prioritize stopping the run and disrupting Jackson by getting to him (sacks) and/or containing (pressuring him in to bad throws) him in the pocket.

7 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

Seeing as how there’s nobody on the Bills who’s ever played a football game in WNY this deep into January it’s pretty hard to say what the weather will do to any of them! 

Lots of uncertainty for sure!  Josh has played in the snow before though:

https://gowyo.com/news/2017/11/4/football-allen-and-company-keep-bronze-boot-in-laramie-with-16-13-win-over-csu.aspx

• Thank you (+1) 1

I can see the kicking game being affected.  Suspect the kickers and punters will be doing a fair number of reps in warmups.  Could see a lot of 4th and 3 plays if they are going against the wind. Wish we were better on 4th down plays, just saying.

3 hours ago, strive_for_five_guy said:

Looks like deteriorating conditions as the game progresses.  Starting strong is going to be key.

Hourly Weather Forecast for Orchard Park, NY - The Weather Channel  Weather.com.png

I’d be more inclined to get the weather forecast from a local source. The national forecast is usually off.

There is a possibility of pop up bands coming in. We get surprised often with lake effect storms that were not forecasted.

Per the NWS for Orchard Park Saturday Night: Snow showers likely, mainly after 10pm. Cloudy, with a low around 30. Breezy, with a west wind 16 to 21 mph. Chance of precipitation is 70%. New snow accumulation of 1 to 3 inches possible.  ICE THE RAVENS. 

A few articles on throwing the ball in high winds. Bottom line:

1) Can’t loft the ball— need to throw on a line. 

2) need to focus on intermediate and short routes.

3) wind shouldn’t be a problem 0-15 MPH. Over 20 MPH is where you see QB’s stats start to drop off.

https://www.sportsrec.com/throw-football-bad-weather-conditions-4546297.html

https://towardsdatascience.com/football-weather-diving-into-the-effects-of-weather-on-nfl-qb-performance-f0edb420623d

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Snow and weather usually favors the Running team. I hope being a Florida boy is enough to slow Jackson down.

Allen to Diggs is the hottest connection in the NFL. While windy, wintery weather does hurt the connection and may limit what Buffalo can do through the air. Flying under the radar for the most part this season however is the down hill running abilities of Josh Allen. Threat to run? You better believe it Ravens fans. 

Edited by Figster

11 hours ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

10-20 mph winds with the potential for snow showers shouldn’t be an issue for our passing game.  

That being said, it’s on the edge of getting dicey if any heavy bands move through and winds tick up to 20+.   

The hope I have is that by putting White on Brown, along with moderate winds (Lamar doesn’t have a massive arm), it could effectively take away their most explosive deep passing weapon.   Then we’d be able to focus on the run game, Andrews and Snead/Boykin etc.  

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, Figster said:

Allen to Diggs is the hottest connection in the NFL. While windy, wintery weather does hurt the connection and may limit what Buffalo can do through the air. Flying under the radar for the most part this season however is the down hill running abilities of Josh Allen. Threat to run? You better believe it Ravens fans. 

Allen's running abilities are under the radar? 

• Thank you (+1) 1