Potential for interesting weather if game played Sunday

Big Turk

20 hours ago, Turbo44 said:

People - snow IS NOT detrimental to a passing game unless it’s heavy like the 2017 Indy game. Think of all the Jim Kelly playoff games. Footing is not nearly the issue for the WR who knows where he’s going as it is to the DB who’s reacting to the route

^^^^ This exactly. DBs have to react, and that's more difficult than a receiver making subtle moves in their routes.

• Like (+1) 2

29 minutes ago, zow2 said:

Latest NWS forecast says a lake effect band will be setting up Saturday eve into Sunday. Expect significant snow south of Buffalo.

I hope Lamar wears the same cleats from the Browns "cramps" game. He was slipping all night.

Can never know for sure - and we haven’t seen this revamped Bills Offense in snow - but light snow (relatively speaking), high 20’s/low 30’s and light to moderate winds would seem to be the best conditions we could ask for when playing against the most electric cut/juke/speed player in the league, while being a pass heavy offense ourselves.  

• Agree 1

4 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

That sort of weather favors the offense. It’s hard for the LBs and DBs to react to cuts in the open field. I’m immediately more concerned if Lamar gets past the front four. 

Even so, it's impossible to stick your foot in the ground and cut with the same speed as a dry surface.  So even if Lamar is slowed by 3/10th's of a second on his cuts, it will allow guys to close a bit quicker.  But if he gets out in the open field,, we can only hope he slips.  If we can throw the ball and it's not too windy, I think it's a nice advantage for Buffalo.  

With Baltimore, look out for the tight end and those short dump offs.

3 minutes ago, zow2 said:

Even so, it's impossible to stick your foot in the ground and cut with the same speed as a dry surface.  So even if Lamar is slowed by 3/10th's of a second on his cuts, it will allow guys to close a bit quicker.  But if he gets out in the open field,, we can only hope he slips.  If we can throw the ball and it's not too windy, I think it's a nice advantage for Buffalo.  

With Baltimore, look out for the tight end and those short dump offs.

The Bills turf has been notoriously slippery. Do I recall reading that they tried to fix it? 

We are talking about a few things here;

Cold weather...can be biggest factor, can demoralize and put folks in a sluggish mood, espc early. 

Snow...light to medium snow in 20s or low 30s no big deal.

Snow in higher temp can mimic rain, and not talking sleet. Regular snow melting on surfaces can make slippery turf and ball control. 

Heavy Snow, like 17 Colts game. This is a mire that changes a lot. It basically turns football into a differing game. It slows down everything. Gotta take short steps and reduces effectiveness of cutting and being elusive. 

I know people talk about running game in snow, but in some ways all bets are off. Lamar likes to cut hard, take big strides, and has had traction issues before. I think he would be negatively effected, but not sure about the others like Dobbins.

Edited by RichRiderBills
  • Like (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, RichRiderBills said:

We are talking about a few things here;

Cold weather...can be biggest factor, can demoralize and put folks in a sluggish mood, espc early. 

Snow...light to medium snow in 20s or low 30s no big deal.

Snow in higher temp can mimic rain, and not talking sleet. Regular snow melting on surfaces can make slippery turf and ball control. 

Heavy Snow, like 17 Colts game. This is a mire that changes a lot. It basically turns football into a differing game. It slows down everything. Gotta take short steps and reduces effectiveness of cutting and being elusive. 

I know people talk about running game in snow, but in some ways all bets are off. Lamar likes to cut hard, take big strides, and has had traction issues before. I think he would be negatively effected, but not sure about the others like Dobbins.

Dobbins played at Ohio State so I would imagine he (maybe) has played in snow?

Regardless, he and Gus usually run downhill on their read option plays.  I wouldn't expect that to be affected much for the runner.   

The surface could make it more difficult for their OL to get push.  Where our OL will typically sit back in pass pro and let the defender come at them, their OL will be pulling and driving out of their stance.

Lamar likes to ride the back and then go horizontal before getting vertical, that typically requires a hard cut.. The snow could play a factor in that.   

They can also use the backs in more of an outside run scheme if they are good with their footing and use Lamar as downhill runner.  

Lots of unknowns in how the snow will affect this game.  Especially when we haven't seen Josh Allen play in snow either. 

Edited by SCBills

1 hour ago, SCBills said:

Dobbins played at Ohio State so I would imagine he (maybe) has played in snow?

Regardless, he and Gus usually run downhill on their read option plays.  I wouldn't expect that to be affected much for the runner.   

The surface could make it more difficult for their OL to get push.  Where our OL will typically sit back in pass pro and let the defender come at them, their OL will be pulling and driving out of their stance.

Lamar likes to ride the back and then go horizontal before getting vertical, that typically requires a hard cut.. The snow could play a factor in that.   

They can also use the backs in more of an outside run scheme if they are good with their footing and use Lamar as downhill runner.  

Lots of unknowns in how the snow will affect this game.  Especially when we haven't seen Josh Allen play in snow either. 

I agree that Dobbins will still be effective. But the extreme snow effects everyone....even big guys, but i think they fare better. Slick conditions make "murphy" come out...and you never know with how it can rear its head.

Just watched the most recent weather forecast video at WIVB's website...the weather guy says it's going to be getting colder on Saturday as the day wears on, there will be an increased chance of local snow, and maybe even some lake effect snow...in particular hitting localized areas such as Orchard Park.

Winds will be picking up, temps will be dropping, he thinks good shot at snow during game, possibly lake effect snow.

It will be interesting to see how the weather plays out.  It may be a big factor, it may not be much of a factor at all.

Just now, Nextmanup said:

Just watched the most recent weather forecast video at WIVB's website...the weather guy says it's going to be getting colder on Saturday as the day wears on, there will be an increased chance of local snow, and maybe even some lake effect snow...in particular hitting localized areas such as Orchard Park.

Winds will be picking up, temps will be dropping, he thinks good shot at snow during game, possibly lake effect snow.

It will be interesting to see how the weather plays out.  It may be a big factor, it may not be much of a factor at all.

could go either way

The forecast keeps changing.  

I just saw a forecast saying winds 10-20 MPH, blowing from scoreboard towards the tunnel at game time.

It sounds like it's going to snow to some degree....the temp will be around 30 F at game time.

I think the wind will play a role.

We could get freezing rain, snow, wind, as others have said they are even calling for a mini lake effect system developing with emphasis on only some locations in WNY, but including Orchard Park.

My guess is the weather impacts the game.

35 minutes ago, Nextmanup said:

The forecast keeps changing.  

I just saw a forecast saying winds 10-20 MPH, blowing from scoreboard towards the tunnel at game time.

It sounds like it's going to snow to some degree....the temp will be around 30 F at game time.

I think the wind will play a role.

We could get freezing rain, snow, wind, as others have said they are even calling for a mini lake effect system developing with emphasis on only some locations in WNY, but including Orchard Park.

My guess is the weather impacts the game.

It’s definitely going to snow, the question is how much. It won’t be as bad as the snow globe game a few years back. 

13 hours ago, Nextmanup said:

wind is my biggest worry

No pass first offense can play at a high level with 30mph wind gusts, it’s just not possible no matter how strong your QB’s arm is