Rewatching the game: Our Coaches deserve more credit

6 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

I haven't checked but I'd have to think the Colts fans are not all that pleased with Reich after the decisions he made. I know of course that every decisions leads to the next one and therefore the variables will all change, but Frank made some really bad blunders. 

Multiple, I agree, and, in my opinion, they (and Josh carrying the Bills) directly lead to the win. 

The coaches really did a nice job. 

Maybe it's because Beasley wasn't 100%, but it seemed as though they couldn't find that 1 go-to play that they needed for a 5-7 yard gain.  Lots of scrambling and creativity, which is fine but not ideal when you are in the lead and trying to just grind 1st downs and clock.

On 1/10/2021 at 12:40 PM, Sweats said:

When Rivers is on, hes the best around....when his game is off, hes always good for a pick or two

His brain is always on so he always gets his team into a good matchup presnap...sometimes his arm completely fails him though lol unfortunately it did not happen against us and he was pretty much perfect 

On 1/10/2021 at 12:54 PM, DrDawkinstein said:

And the 2 pt conversion.

2 bad decisions cost them 4 points, and they lost by 3.

They wasted 2 timeouts in the 2nd half - one to avoid delay of game and a bad challenge on the play where Moss was hurt.

Plus Indy punted on 4th and 5 from Bills 42.  Should have gone for it imo

• Like (+1) 1

On 1/10/2021 at 10:58 PM, loveorhatembillsfan4life said:

Great Post, I initially wanted the Colt's first round. I was very wrong.  

I think some teams just match up better than others . The Colts matched up really well against us. 

It was a great hurdle to come out with the W. I hope it can propel us even further. 

It is the playoffs,   When the seventh seed in the AFC is 11-5 in regular season,  every team is going to be tough and they will play even.  It is going to be which team makes mores plays on the given day....The Bills did last Saturday and I hope they can repeat this Saturday too

• Awesome! (+1) 1

On 1/10/2021 at 11:26 AM, IgotBILLStopay said:

We did not play our best game and still live. I think coaching won us this game. There are no doubt a few lessons for our players going forward.

We were up against it yesterday folks. In years past, we would have lost that game folks.

A. Colts were the worst matchup possible.

1. They have the best OL in football and we have a middling DL.

2. They have a potent run game with Taylor and Hines and we have a porous run defense with questionable lane integrity and tentative tackling. Advanced stats indicate Edmunds and Milano are among the league leaders in missed tackles.

3. Indy is not lacking in talent - All those picks from the Jets from the Darnold trade have made the team arguably as talented, if not more than the Bills. Combine that with a very decent QB in Rivers - I know people on this board felt Rivers would have issues playing in Buffalo weather but I think he did not get that memo. He was great. Not JA level great - but still more great than merely good. We were facing a team primed to make noise in January.

B. Situationally, we were put at a disadvantage so we could not take play to our strengths

1.  We do have an explosive offense - but it is only good if it can get on the field. The Colts’ ability to chew up the clock kept us off the field. 

2. Even when JA and co. got on the field, they were backed up and could not really take advantage of our elite WRs against the Colts iffy secondary. Strangely enough, Colts offensive woes in converting long drives into points hurt our offensive field position.

3. Reich too actually called a perfect game for Indy. Have to say I was so impressed by Reich in all three facets of the game. He took away our strength and put his team in a position to win on the road. Barely any mistakes except the missed FG.

Now to our coaching -

On Offense:

I loved the JA keepers - that is what makes JA unique and Daboll’s adjustments mid-game to feature them more helped a lot. I too was puzzled by McKenzie’s quiet outing till I realized the Colts have likely prepared for that and Daboll likely did not have anything new on the jet sweep front given the short week. Also we can’t try those fancy plays when we are backed up inside our own 10 on every drive.

On Defense:

Ever since the Rams / Cardinals game - it has been clear that we have two weaknesses:

1. We can’t handle those outside zone runs on talent alone. Our D Linemen and LBs are going to leak some yards. The coaches know this - they have constantly shown an ability to tighten it up with layered protection. Layering is harder on open fields - but in the red zone with the short field, the layered protection stops leaked yards from turning into TDs. I think given our personnel limitations (and our LBs did our coaches no favors yesterday) - the bend but not break defense is our best bet and the coaching scheme allowed that yesterday. The goal line stand and general red zone defense were highlights.

2. We have a great secondary - but do have one weakness - we are vulnerable to overhead balls since our DBs and safeties jump a lot less than opposing WRs. That why we gave up two Hail Marys. Even yesterday, Tre gave up an easy long reception on a perfectly thrown high ball. Clearly this has been a coaching emphasis since the Cards game. I forget who, but an offensive player said yesterday that the defense practices against Hail Marys and high balls every day. That is good coaching guys. We saw the effect of that on that last play when Hyde took a running start and got enough height to knock it down.

3. On Special Teams - there were no trick plays, no long returns (had been spoilt by that the past few weeks) but I think our bad staring field position had more to do with our defense bending (and not breaking) than bad ST play.

Overall:

1. McD was masterful in his use of timeouts. Calling the TO just before the 8 yard Rivers pass was critical in stopping the Colts momentum. His other TO (which wasn’t a TO) actually won us the game by forcing the review but N.Y. replay messed up and we had to endure 28 more seconds of agony.

2. Very clean game - Early in the season we had a bunch of penalties - now we are barely penalized.

Everyone highlights “buffalo has no running game”

no kidding daboll kept calling runs for josh because he did his JOB!  Nationally media is ridiculous in this - reich and the colts gave us the ability to run it with josh - we exploited it and it worked 

done over 

15 minutes ago, The Firebaugh Kid said:

Need to get back to our game and improve 3rd down efficiency. The qb runs were about 2/3 too many. 

Not really A pay attention and do your research - they gave us the whole middle of the field you take what the defense gives you

thats why you had so many an runs and why josh was killing it on the ground 

6 minutes ago, Drew21PA said:

Everyone highlights “buffalo has no running game”

no kidding daboll kept calling runs for josh because he did his JOB!  Nationally media is ridiculous in this - reich and the colts gave us the ability to run it with josh - we exploited it and it worked 

done over 

Not really A pay attention and do your research - they gave us the whole middle of the field you take what the defense gives you

thats why you had so many an runs and why josh was killing it on the ground 

Student body left and right with your qb for 1 or 2 yards a pop aint a winning formula, sorry. All his designed runs were off tackle, idk why you're talking about the middle of the field being open lol.

On 1/10/2021 at 7:28 AM, loveorhatembillsfan4life said:

Great Post, I initially wanted the Colt's first round. I was very wrong.  

I think some teams just match up better than others . The Colts matched up really well against us. 

It was a great hurdle to come out with the W. I hope it can propel us even further. 

I disagree.  I thought the Colts were the best matchup for us in round 1 and it played out that way for us, too.

The Titans and Chiefs both have better ground games and mobile QBs.  And we saw what Cleveland did to Pittsburgh in round 1, already knowing they have an incredible ground game with Chubb and Hunt.

It's the playoffs and I'm just not expecting a blowout any week.  I would love it every game were one, but it's just not realistic to expect that once we reach the postseason.

The Colts are a really good team, but we were clearly better.  I thought this little tidbit in the Buffalonews was interesting:

https://buffalonews.com/sports/bills/bad-field-position-bills-win-over-colts-was-one-for-the-millennium/article_5eb94098-541e-11eb-b0f3-03eb4f5b3647.html

Add up all of the drives, and the Bills’ average start was 163 yards worse than that of the Colts. Despite that, the Bills won 27-24.

According to Elias Sports Bureau, it’s the first time in 18 years a team had that big of a field-position disadvantage and won a post-season game.

That was the worst field position game I think I've ever seen us play, yet we were in control for most of the game.  We were up at the half and up by 14 in the 4th quarter.

I kept praying Roberts would just take a knee in the EZ on kickoffs.

I'm not saying coaching wasn't good, but it had it's flaws.  I think Daboll stuck to the ground game for WAAAAAYYYY too long, for instance.

But to me, this was all an insane game of utterly terrible field position for us.  But we overcame that.  Josh overcame that. 

I don't think we'll have that atrocious a field position game again.

Edited by transplantbillsfan

On 1/10/2021 at 1:02 PM, Turbo44 said:

going for 2 in the 4th made no analytical sens

Actually this is what you’re supposed to do. 

They were down 24 - 16 after the touchdown.

He was going to kick the XP but after the penalty he decided to go for it. If they convert the 2 pt conversion it makes it a 2 FG game.

If they don’t convert, the probability is very high that they convert the two point conversion the next time they score. 

In one scenario you don’t have to score a TD to tie it. In the scenario you kick the XP or don’t convert the 2 pt play you have to score a TD. It was absolutely the right call analytically.

https://www.indystar.com/story/sports/nfl/colts/2021/01/09/colts-vs-bills-why-frank-reich-made-right-decision-fourth-and-goal-4/6609839002/

Edited by JGMcD2
  • Like (+1) 1

14 hours ago, DCbillsfan said:

They wasted 2 timeouts in the 2nd half - one to avoid delay of game and a bad challenge on the play where Moss was hurt.

Plus Indy punted on 4th and 5 from Bills 42.  Should have gone for it imo

Indy should have gotten at least 2 more Delay of Game penalties....Rivers was literally snapping the ball with 0s on the play clock and it wasn't when the play clock hit 0, it was at 0 for at least a second multiple times.

The game was a chess match. I see Indy fans giving Reich a ton of crap and I thought he called a great game and I thought that Rivers played out of his mind.

It's a football game in the play-offs and it isn't going to be pretty. 

In the beginning you can DEFINITELY tell and feel the nerves of the Bills. As many have said, it was a poor match up for us and I'm glad we came out on the right side.