Rewatching the game: Our Coaches deserve more credit

We did not play our best game and still live. I think coaching won us this game. There are no doubt a few lessons for our players going forward.

We were up against it yesterday folks. In years past, we would have lost that game folks.

A. Colts were the worst matchup possible.

1. They have the best OL in football and we have a middling DL.

2. They have a potent run game with Taylor and Hines and we have a porous run defense with questionable lane integrity and tentative tackling. Advanced stats indicate Edmunds and Milano are among the league leaders in missed tackles.

3. Indy is not lacking in talent - All those picks from the Jets from the Darnold trade have made the team arguably as talented, if not more than the Bills. Combine that with a very decent QB in Rivers - I know people on this board felt Rivers would have issues playing in Buffalo weather but I think he did not get that memo. He was great. Not JA level great - but still more great than merely good. We were facing a team primed to make noise in January.

B. Situationally, we were put at a disadvantage so we could not take play to our strengths

1.  We do have an explosive offense - but it is only good if it can get on the field. The Colts’ ability to chew up the clock kept us off the field. 

2. Even when JA and co. got on the field, they were backed up and could not really take advantage of our elite WRs against the Colts iffy secondary. Strangely enough, Colts offensive woes in converting long drives into points hurt our offensive field position.

3. Reich too actually called a perfect game for Indy. Have to say I was so impressed by Reich in all three facets of the game. He took away our strength and put his team in a position to win on the road. Barely any mistakes except the missed FG.

Now to our coaching -

On Offense:

I loved the JA keepers - that is what makes JA unique and Daboll’s adjustments mid-game to feature them more helped a lot. I too was puzzled by McKenzie’s quiet outing till I realized the Colts have likely prepared for that and Daboll likely did not have anything new on the jet sweep front given the short week. Also we can’t try those fancy plays when we are backed up inside our own 10 on every drive.

On Defense:

Ever since the Rams / Cardinals game - it has been clear that we have two weaknesses:

1. We can’t handle those outside zone runs on talent alone. Our D Linemen and LBs are going to leak some yards. The coaches know this - they have constantly shown an ability to tighten it up with layered protection. Layering is harder on open fields - but in the red zone with the short field, the layered protection stops leaked yards from turning into TDs. I think given our personnel limitations (and our LBs did our coaches no favors yesterday) - the bend but not break defense is our best bet and the coaching scheme allowed that yesterday. The goal line stand and general red zone defense were highlights.

2. We have a great secondary - but do have one weakness - we are vulnerable to overhead balls since our DBs and safeties jump a lot less than opposing WRs. That why we gave up two Hail Marys. Even yesterday, Tre gave up an easy long reception on a perfectly thrown high ball. Clearly this has been a coaching emphasis since the Cards game. I forget who, but an offensive player said yesterday that the defense practices against Hail Marys and high balls every day. That is good coaching guys. We saw the effect of that on that last play when Hyde took a running start and got enough height to knock it down.

3. On Special Teams - there were no trick plays, no long returns (had been spoilt by that the past few weeks) but I think our bad staring field position had more to do with our defense bending (and not breaking) than bad ST play.

Overall:

1. McD was masterful in his use of timeouts. Calling the TO just before the 8 yard Rivers pass was critical in stopping the Colts momentum. His other TO (which wasn’t a TO) actually won us the game by forcing the review but N.Y. replay messed up and we had to endure 28 more seconds of agony.

2. Very clean game - Early in the season we had a bunch of penalties - now we are barely penalized.

Edited by IgotBILLStopay
  • Like (+1) 22
  • Awesome! (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, loveorhatembillsfan4life said:

Great Post, I initially wanted the Colt's first round. I was very wrong.  

I think some teams just match up better than others . The Colts matched up really well against us. 

It was a great hurdle to come out with the W. I hope it can propel us even further. 

Me to.  But that was because I was very ignorant about the Colts.  The only team I know pretty well is Buffalo.  After that my football IQ drops through the floor.  Today I'm not rooting for anybody to gain certain match ups.  Let the chips fall where they do.

• Like (+1) 2

Love Frank Reich but he absolutley DID NOT coach a great game.

i don’t blame him for going for the td on 4th and 4. It failed and 96 josh yards later the whole momentum changed. The bills never trailed after that. I get it, you don’t beat Buffalo with fgs but his chance failed

he punted from the Bills 42 on 4th and 5 after trying to draw buffalo off. That was a wussy thing to do

going for 2 in the 4th made no analytical sense.

in the last drive of the game Indy had 2:30 left from their own 15. They wasted a lot of time running the ball and even huddling which caused them to not even have a fg chance. Very poor time managment

he wasted a challenge and a timeout in the 3rd on a play that obviously was called correctly and wouldn’t be overturned. Thinking he may have been able to use that timeout in the last part of the game.

his overall scheme of keeping the bills offense off the field and win the time of possession battle was sound but he made a ton of in game mistakes that cost Indy badly.

l

Edited by Turbo44

The Colts came out hungry and played with a lot of intensity. They have a great o-line, and a really good front 7 on D. This was always going to be a tough game. The AFC playoffs are pretty stacked with talented teams.

Still, I feel like Daboll made a lot questionable calls. I'd like to see more camera angles to see if the Colts were doing something to stop our passing attack. But the designed runs with Josh Allen running parallel to the LOS just didn't make sense. This is a passing team, but we had a 3 and out early where we ran the ball on all 3 downs. Our running game has been questionable all season. And the Colts have a dominating front 7. Did Daboll screw up the game plan this week, or did the Colts take it away?

• Like (+1) 1

26 minutes ago, Solomon Grundy said:

McDermott definitely had a GREAT command of the game. As far as I’m concerned, we can put the “McClappy” crap to rest

Very well said, McD has been doing really well for a while now, sadly some of us have fairly short memories.

If the Bills made tackles at or near the LOS, this game isn't a one-score game and a true nail biter.

That first playoff is supposed to be difficult, I guess.

Just now, njbuff said:

If the Bills made tackles at or near the LOS, this game isn't a one-score game and a true nail biter.

That first playoff win is supposed to be difficult, I guess.

• Like (+1) 1

I was nearvous about the Colts game, and that concern turned out to be founded.

I think the situation and pressure of winning that first playoff game took as much of a toll as Indy itself. This team is carrying the weight of all those garbage drought teams, and the pressure mounted yesterday imo.

That said Indy is not a great matchup for us, neither is TEN. I'd rather play KC than TEN. Hoping Ravens win today as I would rather play against a limited passer in Jackson than a Tennessee team that can throw, run, and defend.

• Like (+1) 1

On 1/10/2021 at 10:26 AM, IgotBILLStopay said:

We did not play our best game and still live. I think coaching won us this game. There are no doubt a few lessons for our players going forward.

We were up against it yesterday folks. In years past, we would have lost that game folks.

A. Colts were the worst matchup possible.

1. They have the best OL in football and we have a middling DL.

2. They have a potent run game with Taylor and Hines and we have a porous run defense with questionable lane integrity and tentative tackling. Advanced stats indicate Edmunds and Milano are among the league leaders in missed tackles.

3. Indy is not lacking in talent - All those picks from the Jets from the Darnold trade have made the team arguably as talented, if not more than the Bills. Combine that with a very decent QB in Rivers - I know people on this board felt Rivers would have issues playing in Buffalo weather but I think he did not get that memo. He was great. Not JA level great - but still more great than merely good. We were facing a team primed to make noise in January.

B. Situationally, we were put at a disadvantage so we could not take play to our strengths

1.  We do have an explosive offense - but it is only good if it can get on the field. The Colts’ ability to chew up the clock kept us off the field. 

2. Even when JA and co. got on the field, they were backed up and could not really take advantage of our elite WRs against the Colts iffy secondary. Strangely enough, Colts offensive woes in converting long drives into points hurt our offensive field position.

3. Reich too actually called a perfect game for Indy. Have to say I was so impressed by Reich in all three facets of the game. He took away our strength and put his team in a position to win on the road. Barely any mistakes except the missed FG.

Now to our coaching -

On Offense:

I loved the JA keepers - that is what makes JA unique and Daboll’s adjustments mid-game to feature them more helped a lot. I too was puzzled by McKenzie’s quiet outing till I realized the Colts have likely prepared for that and Daboll likely did not have anything new on the jet sweep front given the short week. Also we can’t try those fancy plays when we are backed up inside our own 10 on every drive.

On Defense:

Ever since the Rams / Cardinals game - it has been clear that we have two weaknesses:

1. We can’t handle those outside zone runs on talent alone. Our D Linemen and LBs are going to leak some yards. The coaches know this - they have constantly shown an ability to tighten it up with layered protection. Layering is harder on open fields - but in the red zone with the short field, the layered protection stops leaked yards from turning into TDs. I think given our personnel limitations (and our LBs did our coaches no favors yesterday) - the bend but not break defense is our best bet and the coaching scheme allowed that yesterday. The goal line stand and general red zone defense were highlights.

2. We have a great secondary - but do have one weakness - we are vulnerable to overhead balls since our DBs and safeties jump a lot less than opposing WRs. That why we gave up two Hail Marys. Even yesterday, Tre gave up an easy long reception on a perfectly thrown high ball. Clearly this has been a coaching emphasis since the Cards game. I forget who, but an offensive player said yesterday that the defense practices against Hail Marys and high balls every day. That is good coaching guys. We saw the effect of that on that last play when Hyde took a running start and got enough height to knock it down.

3. On Special Teams - there were no trick plays, no long returns (had been spoilt by that the past few weeks) but I think our bad staring field position had more to do with our defense bending (and not breaking) than bad ST play.

Overall:

1. McD was masterful in his use of timeouts. Calling the TO just before the 8 yard Rivers pass was critical in stopping the Colts momentum. His other TO (which wasn’t a TO) actually won us the game by forcing the review but N.Y. replay messed up and we had to endure 28 more seconds of agony.

2. Very clean game - Early in the season we had a bunch of penalties - now we are barely penalized.

Cover1 basically agrees!!

I haven't checked but I'd have to think the Colts fans are not all that pleased with Reich after the decisions he made. I know of course that every decisions leads to the next one and therefore the variables will all change, but Frank made some really bad blunders. 

3:53 left in game, Buf on Indy 34 yard line, Singletary just had nice run, Indy 1 TO left, Bass already made 54 yarder. 

Daboll goes 4 WR and 1 RB.  No extra protection.  This is inexcusable and has happened way too much this year.

Terrible game management, something we have seen a lot with Daboll this year.