Allen checks off the final box vs Colts

There was a thread the other day on the board about Mahomes vs Allen.  Mahomes got my vote.  My position was that Josh's ceiling was higher, but he still needed to show that he could win when the stakes were high and all the chips were in the middle of the table.  I said that when he can keep his composure during the playoffs and continue to play at the same elite level that he has been playing during the regular season, then I would change my mind.

Josh Allen is the reason the Bills are going onto the Divisional Round of the playoffs next week.  He was the running game and the passing game this week.  He threw at 75% accuracy.  He didn't turn the ball over.  He took one bad sack in the game as the only play that he would probably want to have back.  His shotput touchdown pass to Knox while falling down on a called QB keeper was preposterous.  If Mahomes makes that play it leads SportsCenter for two days.

Not only did Josh keep it together and continue to play fantastic ball on the big stage, he played well enough to overcome a poor game plan, a defense that couldn't make a third down stop, an O-line that could neither run nor pass block, and RBs who couldn't get anything going.  He was solid as a rock despite everything going wrong around him and dragged his team kicking and screaming across the finish line to a win.

I don't have any more questions about Josh Allen.  The Buffalo Bills are set at QB for the next 10+ years.  Pay the man, Beane

Edited by Inigo Montoya
  • Like (+1) 9
  • Agree 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 3

He was on fire yesterday. He accounted for the vast majority of the Bills O output and stayed in command...never looked like he was rattled like last year. It appeared to me that he has begun to look at the postseason as ‘just another game’. In my opinion, that’s what he needed to do and he did it. 

I have loved and defended this kid since year one because of his very clear willingness to lay it all on the line. That’s a special trait. 

• Like (+1) 6
  • Agree 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

I agree that Allen checked a very important box yesterday, but not "the final box", in my opinion. That would be the "can he play effectively in the Super Bowl?" box. If he can check THAT box, we're looking at a likely Hall of Famer. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, Charles Romes said:

Correct. I’m getting sick of hearing about how his egregious fumble at the end should have cost us the W. If he does not take chances the whole game and dominate though taking chances by virtue of his greatness we are getting blown out by 20. 

I'm stunned at the # of comments I've seen (not here, but across the internet) talking about a "repeat of the Houston game" and how he "can't stop making boneheaded plays in big games."  

Allen was spectacular yesterday.  It was really his one mistake - and it was basically just a sack.  I didn't see it as him trying to play "hero ball" - he was trying to escape the rush, and he very often succeeds at that when he tries.  It's part of what makes him so great.  He has that Big Ben type of escapability.

Why is he called out for that? I watched the other games, and guys like Wilson and Brady were making all kind of mistakes.  It's a double-standard, imo.

• Like (+1) 5
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 4

34 minutes ago, Inigo Montoya said:

I don't have any more questions about Josh Allen.  The Buffalo Bills are set at QB for the next 10+ years.  Pay the man, Beane

oh he will Inigo oh yes he will. There is one thing Mr Beane is not is stupid. To let a guy like Josh Allen go is unthinkable. For starters there would be revolt in the fanbase like no other. He IS the franchise at this moment. I couldn't be happier he's a Bill. He's getting paid YEP.

Edited by Muppy
  • Like (+1) 2

49 minutes ago, Inigo Montoya said:

There was a thread the other day on the board about Mahomes vs Allen.  Mahomes got my vote.  My position was that Josh's ceiling was higher, but he still needed to show that he could win when the stakes were high and all the chips were in the middle of the table.  I said that when he can keep his composure during the playoffs and continue to play at the same elite level that he has been playing during the regular season, then I would change my mind.

Josh Allen is the reason the Bills are going onto the Divisional Round of the playoffs next week.  He was the running game and the passing game this week.  He threw at 75% accuracy.  He didn't turn the ball over.  He took one bad sack in the game as the only play that he would probably want to have back.  His shotput touchdown pass to Knox while falling down on a called QB keeper was preposterous.  If Mahomes makes that play it leads SportsCenter for two days.

Not only did Josh keep it together and continue to play fantastic ball on the big stage, he played well enough to overcome a poor game plan, a defense that couldn't make a third down stop, an O-line that could neither run nor pass block, and RBs who couldn't get anything going.  He was solid as a rock despite everything going wrong around him and dragged his team kicking and screaming across the finish line to a win.

You lost me at ‘an O-Line that couldn’t pass block’. Before that ridiculous statement, I really thought you had watched the game..

• Haha (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, Bangarang said:

The final box to check off isn’t a Wild Card win. Especially if you’re trying to compare him to Mahomes. 

Fair point Bang, but the Bills might not make a Super Bowl for years despite Josh Allen playing amazing football.  It is a team sport after all.  I don't think it's reasonable to say that the only criteria for Josh Allen to be considered as good a QB as Mahomes is if he wins a Super Bowl. 

By your criteria Jim Kelly was not an elite QB.

• Like (+1) 1

36 minutes ago, Charles Romes said:

Correct. I’m getting sick of hearing about how his egregious fumble at the end should have cost us the W. If he does not take chances the whole game and dominate though taking chances by virtue of his greatness we are getting blown out by 20. 

He scrambles out of the majority of these situations.  He didn't make it out of this one.  No biggie

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Chandler#81 said:

You lost me at ‘an O-Line that couldn’t pass block’. Before that ridiculous statement, I really thought you had watched the game..

I'm pretty certain I watched the game. 

Why don't you make a counter argument to my position instead of responding like a jerk?   I'm a reasonable person, you could convince me I'm mistaken.  Maybe I could change your mind.  You know, like two grown ups having a conversation...

• Like (+1) 1

27 minutes ago, Success said:

I'm stunned at the # of comments I've seen (not here, but across the internet) talking about a "repeat of the Houston game" and how he "can't stop making boneheaded plays in big games."  

Allen was spectacular yesterday.  It was really his one mistake - and it was basically just a sack.  I didn't see it as him trying to play "hero ball" - he was trying to escape the rush, and he very often succeeds at that when he tries.  It's part of what makes him so great.  He has that Big Ben type of escapability.

Why is he called out for that? I watched the other games, and guys like Wilson and Brady were making all kind of mistakes.  It's a double-standard, imo.

As others have pointed out I suspect the reason the ref didn't blow the whistle for forward progress on Allen's sack was that he knew Allen had escaped from just that type of tackle before.  Those that never want to see this type of play should just own up to wanting to see Orton or Tyrod back there.  But I want my QB AGGRESSIVE and given how aggressive Allen is EVERY time he plays his number of turnovers is surprisingly low.

As far as the opinions of internet nitwits across the USA goes what are they saying about Russel Wilson's game yesterday?  Was that a four quarters of "bad Russ"?

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 2