Yesterday was the proverbial “hump” this team had to get over...

eball

I had the feeling all week that this was going to be a much tougher game than many expected. The Colts are a solid, well-coached team whose strengths match up well with the Bills’ weaknesses. I also felt that this Bills team, for all they have accomplished, still had not proven — to themselves or their fans — that they are capable of a postseason run. The playoffs are a different animal, and persevering through a stressful game like yesterday is, I believe, what this team needed in order to make a truly special run possible. It was another box that was checked off — “can the team win in the postseason in a pressure situation” — and the key players showed up when they were needed most.

I believe that the overwhelming sentiment in the locker room after the game was likely one of relief. The monkey is off their backs. I absolutely feel as though the team that takes the field next week is capable of dominating the way they did to close out the regular season. 

This is going to be a fun ride and it’s only just beginning. 

• Like (+1) 8
  • Awesome! (+1) 5

I feel the same way.  Similar to the first Patriots game.  Now Indy is legit (compared to the Pats, who are not), but I think we can tell, looking back, that we had to internally get over that hump. 

Edited by SCBills
  • Like (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, Frat-Train said:

Yes!!!!  They cleared the same hurdle they couldn’t, from last year.  Super proud of these guys!!!!  

The difference between last year and this, though, is that last year’s team was not complete. This year’s team is. Now they know they have what it takes. 

• Like (+1) 1

In a reflective mood this morning.  I listened to way more Bills talk on YouTube this week than was probably healthy.  One comment I heard that resonated with me was the Bills needed to show they could play in a tough, close game.  That was yesterday.  I think that win plays future dividends.  The hurdle was two-fold.  One, can this young team  (not just Allen, but all 22) break through for a drought busting win and two, can they battle in a close game and close out a win. Check and check. 

17 minutes ago, eball said:

I had the feeling all week that this was going to be a much tougher game than many expected. The Colts are a solid, well-coached team whose strengths match up well with the Bills’ weaknesses. I also felt that this Bills team, for all they have accomplished, still had not proven — to themselves or their fans — that they are capable of a postseason run. The playoffs are a different animal, and persevering through a stressful game like yesterday is, I believe, what this team needed in order to make a truly special run possible. It was another box that was checked off — “can the team win in the postseason in a pressure situation” — and the key players showed up when they were needed most.

I believe that the overwhelming sentiment in the locker room after the game was likely one of relief. The monkey is off their backs. I absolutely feel as though the team that takes the field next week is capable of dominating the way they did to close out the regular season. 

A lot of truth here.  

The fact that we played a good well coached team that executed their game plan much better than we did overall, had a huge edge in field position the entire first half on every drive start, a huge edge in TOP and the Bills still won the game when they didn't play anywhere close to our best game on either side of the ball says a lot about how good this team really is.

Allen and Diggs are huge difference makers.

Edited by Big Turk

21 minutes ago, eball said:

I agree with this overall sentiment. But in a thread last week when all I said was that Josh had to “prove” he could get all the accolades and yet STILL deliver as he handles new found success, you said it was unnecessary. Even more you took exception to the idea that all I was doing was pointing out how great he’s been but that handling success & failure are two different things. He’s shown he can rise above all the doubt, negativity and lack of faith in him, he just needed to KEEP doing the same level of production while being the focus of praise for this team and himself. 

Essentially we made the same point just from a different angle and you incorporated all of the players, and I agree with that as well.

The nuanced differences aside, I like this post and appreciate you pointing it out for discussion. 

1 minute ago, Giuseppe Tognarelli said:

My enduring image from the game yesterday is badass, passed-over Jordan Poyer being totally fired up after what should have been a game-clinching forced fumble, a play he made with strength of the mind and of the body. Just sick.

I feel bad for the guy. First, he gets snubbed from the Pro Bowl and then the refs rob him of that amazing game winning play. Dude is a straight baller.

• Like (+1) 3

Yesterday felt like the first game of the season to me.  I have this feeling that we'll dominate whoever we play next (knock on wood) and we just needed to get the "monkey off our back" as they say.  Getting this first win feels like a snowball effect to me, and I hope my feeling is correct.  

The "dancing to MC Hammer" video earlier this week was concerning. It felt like complacency had set in, and they might be looking past the Colts. They needed a reminder of what a loss felt like, and to be taken down a notch.

But after yesterday, that changed. They will dominate both sides of the ball from here on out.

• Like (+1) 2

For what's it's worth the stats of being top 10 in offense, defense, and ST's seemed to play out yesterday.  Indy was better than I thought and Rivers was solid.  I think if Rivers makes that 4th down throw it might have been a loss. Or even the red-zone slant that he missed badly (or the WR ran the wrong route) that surely would have given them first and goal if not a TD before the doinked FG attempt.  

I think both teams played a little tight with a few key drops.

The concern for me as it has been for two years, is where is the pass rush???  PFF keeps posting about this great win rate by our DL but that does not seem to translate into sacks or pressure - certainly not yesterday.