For years to come other teams will stick with struggling young QBs with the false belief that they could be "The next Josh Allen" I will laugh each time.

Batman1876

3 minutes ago, Motorin' said:

You can say whatever you want about math without using math. It doesn't make it math.

I'll forward you the article once I can find it. Or if someone else has it they can post it. 

Why are you so concerned about Josh being an anomaly? I actually think it is bad ass he is this huge anomaly. 

11 minutes ago, Sammy Watkins' Rib said:

There is an article out there from the 2018 draft. Something like "For Josh to succeed Math will have to be wrong". It was posted again on this board earlier this week.

With regards to Aikman and Bradshaw etc. you still have to compare what they were doing their first season or two vs. their peers. 

Josh is an anomaly. And I'm totally cool with that. The Josh haters like Geoff Schwartz and the like can go kick sand. 

Who?

Edited by Doc

3 hours ago, Batman1876 said:

Josh is one of a kind and the growth we've seen in him since his rookie year has been unbelievable.  Other teams will think they can replicate our success but they will fail. Josh Allen will end up beating other teams on the field and in their front office.  

There were so many things thay worked in the Bills favor to develop him that it would be very unlikely to see that replicated any time soon.

First, Allen was a very raw prospect in that he never really focused on just football until he got to Reedley JUCO. The coaching he received was at best sub par. The players he played with were mostly non NFL players. And even the ones who were are very fringe level players. His inaccuracy was a result of his inconsistent mechanics not due to inherent issues. When he threw properly his throws were extremely accurate. It was lazy scouting not to realize that there is a huge difference between being inherently inaccurate versus being inaccurate when your mechanics are off.

Second, Allen is obsessed with improving himself to a level where he already knows what he needs to work on and tells coaches and the GM pretty much exactly what they are going to say before they tell him in off-season exit interviews. That type of self awareness and drive to improve is extremely rare to find even in athletes.

Third, Allen has every single intangible you could ever want. Leadership, clutch, "it" factor, etc. That in and of itself is rare...so many players play small in these situations. Allen plays his best.

Lastly, Allen has a complete physical skillset that has never been seen before in the NFL at the QB position so it isn't like those players just grow on trees.

• Agree 1

I think there is a huge issue that is often not talked about when discussing the reasons for Allen's improvement.  Josh never had top quality coaching at any level until he was drafted.  Small high school and Wyoming is far from a college football factory.  Most first round QBs have had at least 4-5 years of intense coaching by the best football minds in the country.  Their mechanics and habits have already been scrutinized and, if possible, fixed.  I can imagine that the gap between the coaches and resources at Wyoming compared to Clemson, Alabama, etc is immense.  Josh was truly a raw prospect in a world where that designation is thrown around way too much.

• Agree 1

4 minutes ago, Sammy Watkins' Rib said:

I'll forward you the article once I can find it. Or if someone else has it they can post it. 

Why are you so concerned about Josh being an anomaly? I actually think it is bad ass he is this huge anomaly. 

I've read the article. They exclude any data set that disproves their claims, and pretend like their statistical analysis has predicative power. It was trash when they wrote it, and it is trash now. 

Stats don't have to power to quantify the qualities that individual human beings possess, and their interpretation of their chery picked numbers discounts the human potential for growth. 

Here is the article:

https://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2018/4/24/17271686/josh-allen-nfl-draft-2018-stats-analysis-comparisons

1 minute ago, Motorin' said:

I've read the article. They exclude any data set that disproves their claims, and pretend like their statistical analysis has predicative power. It was trash when they wrote it, and it is trash now. 

Stats don't have to power to quantify the qualities that individual human beings possess, and their interpretation of their chery picked numbers discounts the human potential for growth. 

I agree with the bolded. And that's why hopefully many GM's will swing and miss when trying to find the next Josh. 

9 minutes ago, Sammy Watkins' Rib said:

Here is the article:

https://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2018/4/24/17271686/josh-allen-nfl-draft-2018-stats-analysis-comparisons

I agree with the bolded. And that's why hopefully many GM's will swing and miss when trying to find the next Josh. 

If there is a qb capable of making these plays, I'd say an NFL GM would be smart to draft him:

https://www.ncaa.com/news/football/article/2017-12-23/looking-back-josh-allens-wyoming-career-his-five-best-plays-cowboys

3 hours ago, Batman1876 said:

Josh is one of a kind and the growth we've seen in him since his rookie year has been unbelievable.  Other teams will think they can replicate our success but they will fail. Josh Allen will end up beating other teams on the field and in their front office.  

it takes QBs 3-4 yrs to folly develop but you need stability with coaches

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

I just find it interesting how Josh Allen was supposed to be the next Carson Wentz Josh Allen was the next Josh Allen he is a very unique QB in teams that try to remix the super soldier serum that created Josh Allen are going to find it’s not that easy

The QB in this draft that reminds me of Josh the most is Lawrence. I think Josh is more accurate that Lawrence, and has learned to throw with more touch.