People are wrongly disappointed - we just beat a very good football team - one better than their 11 & 5 record

BuffaloBill

17 minutes ago, Nextmanup said:

Precisely why I am scared to death of the Titans! 

I have tremendous respect for Pittsburgh, but I'm not scared to death of them.

Any Bills fans who thinks that Indy team yesterday is less than excellent doesn't really know what he/she is watching.

Personally I would rather play the Titans than the Ravens.  I still don't think Lamar is that good of a passer.  I still feel that Roman holds back his learning and capabilities.  That team is very good on defense and very good at what they do on offense though.  We stymied them last year but this years defense is nothing like last year.  On the flip side, Titans are playing damn good on offense but have a terrible defense.  I think the last game against the Titans was just a poor time for us.  Just my opinion though.

27 minutes ago, BeefCurtns said:

So you don’t think teams are gonna try to thrash this defense with the run? It’s clearly a weakness.

I dont think its as terrible as it looked yesterday.  The Colts were held to 55 yards rushing in the first half.  Half of their total rushing yards came on 3 plays in the second half when they were down two scores and the Bills probably expected them to pass the football.  That was out of 30 total attempts for the game.  Those big runs shouldn't have been so big but for most of the game their rushing was kept pretty in check.

• Like (+1) 1

I take the OPs points, with one exception. Our back 7 sucked in coverage. Either missed assignments or inadequate or faulty preparation. I can say that with some confidence because I know they can be a lot better than that. They will need to be.

On offence it was apparent that Beas and Brown were far from their usual selves and not fully recovered from injury. Hopefully they can heal up to where we can see their best efforts next week.

Allen was the best Bill on the field yesterday and the difference.

1 hour ago, whatdrought said:

This is idiotic. I’m sorry. But it is. 

You play the 60 minutes of a football game, you’re playing against elite competition, you’ve battled all game and put your team in a position to win, you make the game ending- game winning play and the refs steal it from you. 

Playoff games are supposed to come down to a handful of plays. 

The refs negatively affected our ability to win the game by breaking the rules, and we had to overcome it in order to win. 

Blaming the refs for ticky tack calls that happen in the course of a game is lame. Blaming the refs for stealing a victory by completely ignoring reality is normal. 

I agree.  Getting upset over letting the play clock expire when they've been calling it that way all year and we've been doing the same thing is just whining and beneath us.  Getting upset over a blatantly bad call that had a high potential to flip the outcome of the game is absolutely legit.

7 minutes ago, TheFunPolice said:

AFC is totally stacked.

NFC playoffs feature a 7-9 and an 8-8 team. 

11-5 almost didn't make the cut in the AFC.

There will be no easy outs in the AFC playoffs.

Exactly. The AFC is the gauntlet this year.

35 minutes ago, CincyBillsFan said:

What made the Colts so dangerous was that they combined an offense that matched up well with our D with a D that could make us work for points.  Among the rest of the AFC crowd I don't see anything that approaches this.

Pitt has a good D but their O isn't going to match Indy's

Baltimore, Cleveland & TN all have D's that our O can exploit. 

And KC would never stoop to letting the clock run down to minus one second on every play.  It's not in their DNA.  If we play them, the Chiefs wills say "so you want a track meet, we'll be happy to give you a track meet - ready, set, GO".

Indy truly was our most frustrating opponent on the AFC side.

I think we're underestimating the impact of bad field position for the Bills offense. They started drives at the 11, 3, 6 and 4 yard line. No offense will do terrific with those starts (and they did manage to go 96 yards on one of them). So I wouldn't put so much emphasis on how terrific the Colts D played. Give Allen four starts at the 30, and this game might have been a rout. 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

24 minutes ago, Scott7975 said:

I dont think its as terrible as it looked yesterday.  The Colts were held to 55 yards rushing in the first half.  Half of their total rushing yards came on 3 plays in the second half when they were down two scores and the Bills probably expected them to pass the football.  That was out of 30 total attempts for the game.  Those big runs shouldn't have been so big but for most of the game their rushing was kept pretty in check.

Gonna buck my own pessimistic trend and say yes the Bills will get it together.

( isn’t that believable?)

• Thank you (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

I don’t think anyone is disappointed. But I think there is some concern that what the colts did can be replicated, and we want to know how the Bills will respond to a similar game plan. 

I think teams can try to replicate what the Colts did, schematically, but you can't just replicate an O-line like that, or Darius Leonard, or Jonathan Taylor (well... there's Derek Henry, but besides him...), or Deforest Buckner, or... etc...

Point being that even if teams want to try the Colts method of taking us to the wire, they probably don't have the horses to get the job done. As much as I feared admitting it to myself, prior to the game, the Colts were not really a good matchup for us; not at all. We weathered them, mostly on the back of one: Josh Allen. And you have to know that with McD at the helm, this team will LEARN from what happened, and be better prepared for the next game.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Straight Hucklebuck said:

You talk about how uniformed the analysis is, Rivers had 24 TDs this season, 11 Ints and 4,000 yards. A typical Rivers season.

TY Hilton was their best WR with 762 yards at 31 years old.

Their defense allowed 22.6 ppg, 10th in the league. 

The Bills were a whole 0.8 ppg more allowed.

A solid team? Sure. Who thought they were capable of a deep Playoff run?

Gabe Davis showed up yesterday and saved that game in the first half.

Diggs/Beasley in the second half as we got nothing from John Brown.

Okay, now you’re stating stats from 2020. What is it, man? At first it had something to do with their historical success compared to the Bills historical success? Now it’s their 2020 stats? Their age has something to do with their ability to perform? You’re just throwing a whole bunch of random crap at all wall and hoping that it forms your argument. 

However you break it down the Colts were top 10 in all 3 phases of the game. That’s not average, average is middle of the pack. There are 32 NFL teams, if you’re in the top 10 in something, you’re above average. 

Words have definitions for a reason, use them properly. 

Average: a number expressing the central or typical value in a set of data

We simply looked more human. Like the 6-2 team that started the season. The one that many would say gets to the playoffs and hopefully wins a game or two. Made mistakes and gave up big plays. Didn’t stop 3d downs. Could convert our own 3rd downs. Worked hard to the move the ball. We just didn’t look like the team from the last 6 weeks that completely dominated teams. That looked like a super bowl favorite. That would score if the drive started at the 2 or the 40. That beat the other team up and looked loose. 
With a win in the books my bet is we get our swagger back. No more have not won a playoff game yet. Playing with house money and can play free. 

28 minutes ago, JGMcD2 said:

Okay, now you’re stating stats from 2020. What is it, man? At first it had something to do with their historical success compared to the Bills historical success? Now it’s their 2020 stats? Their age has something to do with their ability to perform? You’re just throwing a whole bunch of random crap at all wall and hoping that it forms your argument. 

However you break it down the Colts were top 10 in all 3 phases of the game. That’s not average, average is middle of the pack. There are 32 NFL teams, if you’re in the top 10 in something, you’re above average. 

Words have definitions for a reason, use them properly. 

Average: a number expressing the central or typical value in a set of data

Dude if you want to make the case the Colts were great, that’s fine.

I don’t agree and don’t have to agree with you.

The reason why I bring up franchise history is, if the Bills lost yesterday would it not feel like one of our best teams ever flamed out too early? 

We wouldn’t have lost to an all-time Colts team. We lost to a team that scabbed together Phillip Rivers at Quarterback and threw to a bunch of Tight Ends and Running Backs.

We didn’t lose and I’m happy Allen, Diggs, Beasley, Gabe Davis and Bass showed up. 

Positive is, when this team goes 4-wide and decides to throw, good things happen.

Edited by Straight Hucklebuck

22 minutes ago, ngbills said:

We simply looked more human. Like the 6-2 team that started the season. The one that many would say gets to the playoffs and hopefully wins a game or two. Made mistakes and gave up big plays. Didn’t stop 3d downs. Could convert our own 3rd downs. Worked hard to the move the ball. We just didn’t look like the team from the last 6 weeks that completely dominated teams. That looked like a super bowl favorite. That would score if the drive started at the 2 or the 40. That beat the other team up and looked loose. 
With a win in the books my bet is we get our swagger back. No more have not won a playoff game yet. Playing with house money and can play free. 

I agree with this, well said.

Bills looked human. 

The drive at the end of the first half was executed brilliantly and was the game changer. Davis really saved that first half for the Bills.

Allen was consistently good.

Our defense didn’t help in the 4th allowing scores so quickly. Colts ripped off chunk plays.