People are wrongly disappointed - we just beat a very good football team - one better than their 11 & 5 record

BuffaloBill

1 hour ago, billsfan1959 said:

The Colts have a very good, physical defense and they played, arguably, their best defensive game (and overall game) of the season. They had consistent QB pressured the entire game and Allen rarely threw from a clean pocket. He was evading a rush and extending plays almost every time he dropped back. IMO, the Bills do not win that game without Allen playing at an elite level. Outside of Rogers and Mahomes, I don't think any other QB could have done what Allen did in that game. Again, IMO.

Neither Rodgers nor Mahomes could have done what Josh did given that the Colts were controlling the game in the 1st half.

If either Rodgers or Mahomes was the Bills QB yesterday, Bills lose.

Josh Allen is the only QB that could have won that game for the Bills. The only one.

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

That is my hope. But it seems like the remaining playoff teams all have the talent in the right spots to do a lot of similar things. 

Steelers can't run the ball. Hines was huge today in that 4th quarter against us. I think breaking off two 20+ yard runs?

Ravens, Jackson, I can't see him completing third down pass after third down pass against us like Rivers did.

Titans have the ability to put up a similar offensive performance that the Colts did yesterday. But there defense is nowhere near as good as the Colts.

2 minutes ago, Playoffs? said:

Some of you will hate this take... but I think our defense was ‘regaining its form’ in the late part of the season because of who we were playing. Look at the final several games where we won pretty convincingly... I wouldn’t call any of them offensive powerhouses: SF without their QB and Kittle, NE w/Cam and no one, Miami w/Tua, Pittsburgh w/injuries and sputtering offensive play, Denver....

Maybe a false sense of security. 

Our D did not fare well against strong offenses (even in wins): Tennessee, KC and Arizona beat us. Seattle hung 34 on us (thank you for that win, Josh).  Rams were a questionable PI call from a comeback win after total defensive meltdown in second half. 

Good news is we’re finding ways to come out with wins!  But in my opinion our defense needs some major help, mostly on the line, so we can stop having to put all of the pressure on Josh.  The games continue to get tougher now. Go Bills!

So I do think the Bills defense is significantly improved since the beginning of the year, but there’s also context that goes with some of those early games. In the Rams game it is obvious they took their foot off the gas on both sides of the ball when they were up by 25, then didn’t know how to put their foot back on the gas when it got close. The Seahawks game was never close-Russ and co. got a lot of their yards and points in garbage time type situations. This is not to excuse those defensive performances, you have to play well for 60 minutes, but there is certainly context that you are leaving out. As you could see later in the year, particularly those last 4 or 5 games the zbills didn’t let up on offense or defense so they clearly learned from those earlier games 

1 hour ago, TroutDog said:

So much can be attributed to field position. Our average start in the first half was our own eight. Terrible. If we start those drives beyond the 20, the playbook is opened back up. 

Love the win and love this team!

Andre Roberts and special teams were awful in the first half. 

• Like (+1) 2

It will not be easily replicated. Taylor has been running as well as anybody. Perhaps even in the same league as Henry over the past month. They have a HoF qb. And a solid D. on top of that, a really good special teams. we have been pummeling our opponents special teams most of the year. 

Tennessee is really scary though. Awesome run game. Very competent qb. ANd Tannehill can run as well. just a bit more dynamic than rivers at this point.  But they don't have the colts D. So there's that. 

4 minutes ago, Ya Digg? said:

So I do think the Bills defense is significantly improved since the beginning of the year, but there’s also context that goes with some of those early games. In the Rams game it is obvious they took their foot off the gas on both sides of the ball when they were up by 25, then didn’t know how to put their foot back on the gas when it got close. The Seahawks game was never close-Russ and co. got a lot of their yards and points in garbage time type situations. This is not to excuse those defensive performances, you have to play well for 60 minutes, but there is certainly context that you are leaving out. As you could see later in the year, particularly those last 4 or 5 games the zbills didn’t let up on offense or defense so they clearly learned from those earlier games 

You make a fair point.  There is always more context to speak of... but if I boil down my point, it’s that I don’t believe our D had really been challenged toward the end of the season. They were doing well, and our offense was doing great, and we were winning... but the teams we were playing generally did not have strong offenses. 

Am very happy that they won the game but it was way to close they need to get back to what ever they were doing on defense because yesterday they got really lucky and sometimes that's part of it but it's the play offs and luck isn't usually the answer to making a deep play offs run .

1 hour ago, TroutDog said:

So much can be attributed to field position. Our average start in the first half was our own eight. Terrible. If we start those drives beyond the 20, the playbook is opened back up. 

Love the win and love this team!

Man, that was brutal. Story of the game really going into the half. Can't recall the last time we were snake bitten so badly in the battle for field position. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Juice_32 said:

I was shocked at the amount of people who wanted Indy in the first round. They scared me more than anyone but possibly Baltimore.

We just beat a really good team without our A game in a grinder of a game. Today is a very good day.

The Arizona game, and this game, have made the Bills better. Now they know they can be beat, and hopefully they focus hardcore today on the two AFC games.

1 minute ago, billsfan1959 said:

Then I am not sure what your concern is. They won and are going on to the next round. I believe they are capable of beating anyone they face; however, if you think they are going to walk through the playoffs like they did their last four games, you are going to be disappointed.

Sorry, this same Colts team played a 1-15 Jags team 8 days ago with Mike Glennon atQB and no James Robinson to a 21-14 lead for the majority of the 2nd half of a game that they had to win to get into the Playoffs.

We can talk them up, but they were an average Playoff team.

And nobody is saying every game is going to be a cakewalk, that’s you embellishing, but we saw with the 2017 Jags or the 2019 49ers, you better win when you have the chance and this team is the best team in 20-years for the Bills.

So maximizing should be the goal. Our Coaches no doubt are working their tails off, but that doesn’t mean the fans have to their brains off and “just be happy”. 

Just checked the box score again. Rivers had a 91.9 QBR to a 93.5 passer rating. Rivers balled out yesterday. Colts receivers had some timely drops that really bailed out our defense. Seemed we couldn't stop them at all on 3rd down yesterday. But the Colts shot themselves in the foot a couple times.

It's not likely we see another QB in these playoffs put up a 91.9 QBR against us. I mean Josh did it all for us yesterday and outside of the one bad sack/fumble Allen's QBR was 85.0

Rivers was lights out. Making all the right plays 

Edited by Sammy Watkins' Rib
  • Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Straight Hucklebuck said:

Sorry, this same Colts team played a 1-15 Jags team 8 days ago with Mike Glennon atQB and no James Robinson to a 21-14 lead for the majority of the 2nd half of a game that they had to win to get into the Playoffs.

We can talk them up, but they were an average Playoff team.

And nobody is saying every game is going to be a cakewalk, that’s you embellishing, but we saw with the 2017 Jags or the 2019 49ers, you better win when you have the chance and this team is the best team in 20-years for the Bills.

So maximizing should be the goal. Our Coaches no doubt are working their tails off, but that doesn’t mean the fans have to their brains off and “just be happy”. 

1. As far as the Colts being an average team: You certainly are welcome to your opinion, no matter how uninformed it may be. 

2. The Bills did win when they had the chance. So, kind of a pointless argument.

Edited by billsfan1959
  • Like (+1) 1

49 minutes ago, Ya Digg? said:

So I’m going to nitpick because I agree with everything else, but outside of the fumble, how were the refs against the Bills? I just don’t like this thinking because absolutely every fan base thinks the refs have been told to screw over their team. I’m sure if you looked on a colts discussion board their fans are saying the refs were against them too. Saying the refs are against your team is a weak and lazy argument. Like I said, just nitpicking but I think fans need to be better than that

I'm really struggling to digest this.... 

When you win the game by observing the rules, making a damn good play, and coming up big in the biggest of spots - to then have the play incorrectly called (as agreed on by every single person in the world) and the refs to say "eh, ***** it. lets give em another shot." is my very definition of the having to beat the refs as well. The Colts were given undeserved opportunity at the end of the game, and as a result, the Bills defense had to overcome that and win anyway. 

Aside from that, there were some ticky tacks as well: multiple uncalled delay of games, a missed helmet to helmet on Diggs on his first deep catch. But those are minor comparably and I wouldn't be saying we had to beat the refs on those alone, even if they were bad calls. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, whatdrought said:

I'm really struggling to digest this.... 

When you win the game by observing the rules, making a damn good play, and coming up big in the biggest of spots - to then have the play incorrectly called (as agreed on by every single person in the world) and the refs to say "eh, ***** it. lets give em another shot." is my very definition of the having to beat the refs as well. The Colts were given undeserved opportunity at the end of the game, and as a result, the Bills defense had to overcome that and win anyway. 

Aside from that, there were some ticky tacks as well: multiple uncalled delay of games, a missed helmet to helmet on Diggs on his first deep catch. But those are minor comparably and I wouldn't be saying we had to beat the refs on those alone, even if they were bad calls. 

I was telling my wife (who came perilously close to being banished from the viewing room when she remarked it appeared over when we had a two score lead in the 4th) that one of the cool things about the NFL is the magical last minute play that determines the outcome.  The Allen to Digs TD against Az was an example, alas it was replaced by the Hopkins Hail Mary.  

The play by Poyer was an incredible, heady play that should be recognized in this category.  He was robbed.