People are wrongly disappointed - we just beat a very good football team - one better than their 11 & 5 record

BuffaloBill

It felt like a game where we had to beat the Colts, the refs, and ourselves.... but sometimes you get games like that. SB teams find a way to win when they’re not playing perfectly. It happens. 

we’re a mentally tough team and we have all the parts needed to go on a run.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, SlimShady'sSpaceForce said:

the only complaint I have was the huge sack.  Was it because he was “Sugar High” Josh and should have just given himself up. 

It certainly was not a good play. However, if in a 60 minute playoff game, against a high quality opponent, you feel the need to point out one poor play, no NFL quarterback - not Brady, Mahomes, Rogers or Manning is going to pass your test.

• Like (+1) 1

I just saw an interesting stat.  Indianapolis had 474 yards and no turnovers.  Only 11 other teams in the playoffs had ever done that and their record was 11-0.    Make that 11-1.

Also, if it weren’t for the fear of what Buffalos offense particularly Josh Allen and the way he was making these incredible improvisational plays Reich wouldn’t have been so aggressive with his play calls that back fired.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, SlimShady'sSpaceForce said:

the only complaint I have was the huge sack.  Was it because he was “Sugar High” Josh and should have just given himself up. 

IMO, Allen did nothing wrong on that play. Lewis went right by Feliciano and Allen did what he always does: evaded the tackle. We have watched him do it all season and make big plays - that is one of the things that makes him so special. Unfortunately, Autry was right there to wrap Allen up. Allen tried to secure the ball and Autry did a good job of forcing the fumble. That was more of good defensive play than it was any kind of mental error or carelessness on the part of Allen.

Edited by billsfan1959
  • Like (+1) 5
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Our local media can ask all the softball emotional questions. 

For some fans, it has nothing to do about a lack of respect for the Colts, yes they’re a quality team. 

However, the 2020 Bills had a Top 5 regular season in Franchise History, so it’s no longer a happy to be there. There is a sense you can’t waste this season getting beat by average Playoff teams.

When you see:

- Throwing out of heavy sets in the first half

- Not having the confidence to just hand the ball off to our running backs, instead having Josh take hits and expose himself to fumbles.

- Kick returners deciding to take balls out of the end zone or not field punts resulting in horrendous field position.

- John Brown rounding off his routes and getting no first half targets at all.

- Routinely abandoning 4-wide and gun when it was working

- No pass rush 

- Poor tackling 

- All three Colts Tight Ends having nice days and Milano out of position routinely on blown coverages

- The Bills getting lucky that Rivers didn’t look outside once to TY Hilton in the second half despite primary coverage by Josh Norman.

Edited by Straight Hucklebuck
  • Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Straight Hucklebuck said:

For some fans, it has nothing to do about a lack of respect for the Colts, yes they’re a quality team. 

However, the 2020 Bills had a Top 5 regular season in Franchise History, so it’s no longer a happy to be there. There is a sense you can’t waste this season getting beat by average Playoff teams.

When you see:

- Not having the confidence to just hand the ball off to our running backs, instead having Josh take hits and expose himself to fumbles.

- Kick returners deciding to take balls out of the end zone or not tied punts resulting in horrendous field position.

- No pass rush 

- Poor tackling 

- All three Colts Tight Ends having nice days and Milano out of position routinely on blown coverages

- The Bills getting lucky that Rivers didn’t look outside once to TY Hilton in the second half despite primary coverage by Josh Norman.

If you think the Colts are just an "average playoff team" you really should look a little deeper into their play this season. They are a very good football team that played, arguably their best game of the year - and still lost. Te Bills certainly were not perfect and there are things they need to continue to improve on. They did what they needed to do and won the game. This is playoff football.

19 minutes ago, SlimShady'sSpaceForce said:

Yea I hated that play too, I don’t think it was bad Josh, I think it just comes sometimes when your always battling every play 

• Like (+1) 2

This is a team that won 11 games. They beat teams like GB and Tennessee. They probably should have beaten Baltimore and Pittsburgh. Only afc ranked top 10 in team and scoring offense and defense. They were about 1 play from being division Champs. They played possibly their best game of the year and we played just ok. Actually maybe lucky to get out of there with a win. If Reich just takes points where he should have and Rocket ship doesn't miss a chip shot fg, they probably win. We beat possibly the most rounded out team in the playoffs. HUGE win! 

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, billsfan1959 said:

IMO, Allen did nothing wrong on that play. Lewis went right by Feliciano and Allen did what he always does: evaded the tackle. We have watched him do it all season and make big plays - that is one of the things that makes him so special. Unfortunately, Autry was right there to wrap Allen up. Allen tried to secure the ball and Autry did a good job of forcing the fumble. That was more of good defensive play than it was any kind of mental error or carelessness on the part of Allen.

Sorry bud, you don’t get to 33 to go by “doing nothing wrong.”  You go down or fire that pigskin OB in that situation.  The one thing you don’t do is run backwards twisting and bouncing between all pro defenders.  Josh played a very solid game overall, but not being able to see he made multiple mistakes on that one play screams blind homerism.  

19 minutes ago, whatdrought said:

It felt like a game where we had to beat the Colts, the refs, and ourselves.... but sometimes you get games like that. SB teams find a way to win when they’re not playing perfectly. It happens. 

we’re a mentally tough team and we have all the parts needed to go on a run.

So I’m going to nitpick because I agree with everything else, but outside of the fumble, how were the refs against the Bills? I just don’t like this thinking because absolutely every fan base thinks the refs have been told to screw over their team. I’m sure if you looked on a colts discussion board their fans are saying the refs were against them too. Saying the refs are against your team is a weak and lazy argument. Like I said, just nitpicking but I think fans need to be better than that

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Dirtyd415 said:

Sorry bud, you don’t get to 33 to go by “doing nothing wrong.”  You go down or fire that pigskin OB in that situation.  The one thing you don’t do is run backwards twisting and bouncing between all pro defenders.  Josh played a very solid game overall, but not being able to see he made multiple mistakes on that one play screams blind homerism.  

You might want to go back and look at the play again, bud. Allen reacted as he has in every other similar situation in which, when it turned out well, I am sure you praised him. He evaded the first defender that was barely touched by Feliciano and was immediately wrapped up by a second defender. He wasn't playing "hero ball," he wasn't situationally unaware, and he wasn't being careless. 

• Like (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, billsfan1959 said:

If you think the Colts are just an "average playoff team" you really should look a little deeper into their play this season. They are a very good football team that played, arguably their best game of the year - and still lost. Te Bills certainly were not perfect and there are things they need to continue to improve on. They did what they needed to do and won the game. This is playoff football.

In the Colts franchise history, this 11-5 Colts team is not in their Top 10 best teams ever fielded. 

Nobody is disrespecting the Colts. But this Bills team? I expect us to maximize a Top 5 season roster in the 60-year history of the Bills.

Just now, Straight Hucklebuck said:

In the Colts franchise history, this 11-5 Colts team is not in their Top 10 best teams ever fielded. 

Nobody is disrespecting the Colts. But this Bills team? I expect us to maximize a Top 5 season roster in the 60-year history of the Bills.

Then I am not sure what your concern is. They won and are going on to the next round. I believe they are capable of beating anyone they face; however, if you think they are going to walk through the playoffs like they did their last four games, you are going to be disappointed.

1 hour ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

I don’t think anyone is disappointed. But I think there is some concern that what the colts did can be replicated, and we want to know how the Bills will respond to a similar game plan. 

Right on.  Pittsburgh, Tennessee, and Baltimore are all capable of matching up well against us.  I expect another tough game next week and hopefully the home field and not traveling helps us get better prepared.  

Just winning that Colts game will us prepare better.  The players responded to McDermott after they game.  “Get some rest and get ready to work”.  

• Like (+1) 1

Before the game I was also thinkin about how the Colts are much better than even their 11-5 record.

First off, a 2 see having to play a 7 seed that is 11-5? That's rare. Won't be happening much at all in the new playoff format. Look at the Saints, they're playing an 8-8 team today.

Second, you really just got to give the Colts a mulligan in their week 1 loss to the Jags. If we do that, record wise we are really talking about a 12-4 team and that record matches up with their top 10 league rankings in all three phases of the game.

31 minutes ago, Straight Hucklebuck said:

When you see:

- Kick returners deciding to take balls out of the end zone or not field punts resulting in horrendous field position.

- No pass rush 

- Poor tackling 

Average playoff team that won 11 games?  that is as good as many division winners. 

The Colts ST and Defense outranked the Bills by a significant amount this season. Their offense, especially the running game and their OL passing blocking, is built for playoffs. 

It’s unrealistic to think we can win every game by double digit scores. 

We can play better but maybe we didn’t play better because the other team is also very good?   

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

I don’t think anyone is disappointed. But I think there is some concern that what the colts did can be replicated, and we want to know how the Bills will respond to a similar game plan. 

If this is what we are going to get out of our running game then I'd say just toss out all the running plays. Use the game plan we had against Seattle. I don't want Allen running unless it is on a designed pass play.

Some of you will hate this take... but I think our defense was ‘regaining its form’ in the late part of the season because of who we were playing. Look at the final several games where we won pretty convincingly... I wouldn’t call any of them offensive powerhouses: SF without their QB and Kittle, NE w/Cam and no one, Miami w/Tua, Pittsburgh w/injuries and sputtering offensive play, Denver....

Maybe a false sense of security. 

Our D did not fare well against strong offenses (even in wins): Tennessee, KC and Arizona beat us. Seattle hung 34 on us (thank you for that win, Josh).  Rams were a questionable PI call from a comeback win after total defensive meltdown in second half. 

Good news is we’re finding ways to come out with wins!  But in my opinion our defense needs some major help, mostly on the line, so we can stop having to put all of the pressure on Josh.  The games continue to get tougher now. Go Bills!