People are wrongly disappointed - we just beat a very good football team - one better than their 11 & 5 record

BuffaloBill

3 hours ago, BuffaloBill said:

Team offense: Bills #2 the Colts #9 (https://www.pro-football-reference.com/years/2020/)

Team Defense Colts #10 the Bills #16 (https://www.pro-football-reference.com/years/2020/opp.htm#)

Special Teams: Colts #2 the Bills # 11 (https://www.lineups.com/nfl-team-rankings/special-teams)

The Colts were a very difficult match up for the Bills. Buffalo’s success has ridden on Josh Allen’s arm this season and the Colts had a perfect game plan to overcome that. They nearly pulled it off. However, be happy with the W because the Bills just beat a very good team.

I agree.  I knew this would be a close game.  Folks should be happy, for 20 years this is the exact kind of game we would lose!!

Just saw a stat where the Colts were the first team in NFL Postseason history that had over 450 yards of offense, no turnovers (yes I know they should have had a fumble but remember that was at the very end of the game) and still lose.

If the Bills can overcome that from a good team, then we know this is a great Bills team.

Edited by EersN'Bills

1 minute ago, Ya Digg? said:

I’m gonna let you keep your hot take, you win my man-you’re clearly still very fired up about the game. The Bills didn’t have a solid game plan on either side of the ball. The defense did not play well. The run game like usual was nonexistent. But yes, if they had lost 100% of the blame should go on the refs 🤦‍♂️
But like I said, you win...and I’m done responding to your hot take 

You’re doubling down on being wrong. Nowhere did I say that losing would have been 100% on the refs, but this is pretty simple... I’ll use clear language since you struggle with comprehension: 

When you make the game winning play, and the refs steal it from you illegally, a subsequent defeat is at least partially the fault of the refs.

This is not a hot take unless you describe hot take as “something all logically thinking adults can agree on.”

Peace out bean sprout. 

This is a good thread topic and I’m enjoying the comments. 
1. the Players will come out of this game tougher and better prepared. 
2. Bills fans are now in position to endure nail biters in the playoffs. It’s what many of us have been envious of Pats* fans for so many years. ENJOY IT, it’s worth the blood pressure. 
3. some are saying that the competition has the blue print to beat the Bills. I say perhaps they do, but our coaches will be watching both AFC games today and we’ll have a blueprint on them too. 
4. I was at the playoff game when the Bills lost to Jacksonville. It ended up as Jim Kelly’s last game and I never thought it would take this long to see a playoff win. The Colts threw the sink at us and it wasn’t enough. On to the next, I’m sure it will be a good one. 

go Bills!

• Like (+1) 2

5 minutes ago, JGMcD2 said:

How does this even make any sense?

You’re comparing this year’s Colts team to Colts teams of the past and because they’re not one of the top 10 teams in the history of their franchise they can’t stand up against a top 5 team in Bills franchise history?

That’s just bad analysis. The Colts historical success and the Bills historical success have zero impact on how these two teams match up in 2020. 

You talk about how uniformed the analysis is, Rivers had 24 TDs this season, 11 Ints and 4,000 yards. A typical Rivers season.

TY Hilton was their best WR with 762 yards at 31 years old.

Their defense allowed 22.6 ppg, 10th in the league. 

The Bills were a whole 0.8 ppg more allowed.

A solid team? Sure. Who thought they were capable of a deep Playoff run?

Gabe Davis showed up yesterday and saved that game in the first half.

Diggs/Beasley in the second half as we got nothing from John Brown.

I'm not disappointed. I almost died watching the game, but I knew the Colts would put up a good fight.

They are top 10 in all three phases and the only team in the playoffs with that distinction.

They made a slightly better play on special teams each time and it led to some field position advantages which made the Bills go long fields all day. 

18 minutes ago, BeefCurtns said:

None of us are wrong to be concerned with how our D played yesterday. Do you think it will be easier as we advance? We dodged a bullet yesterday. At least that’s what the eye test told me.

I think your eye test is off. It was a playoff win against a quality opponent.

3 hours ago, Captain_Quint said:

Probably the most complete team in the playoffs, just not very flashy outside of Taylor. And holding him to 78yds is a win, IMO.

If we play the Titans, it will be another game like this one. 

Precisely why I am scared to death of the Titans! 

I have tremendous respect for Pittsburgh, but I'm not scared to death of them.

Any Bills fans who thinks that Indy team yesterday is less than excellent doesn't really know what he/she is watching.

For starters, I'm euphoric - disappointment isn't even a distant underlying emotion right now.  I get that some are feeling that, but I can't really relate to it.

I knew going into this game (as did others) that the Colts were a particularly bad match-up for the Bills.  Great run game, good coaching, excellent defense, veteran QB.  In many other years, a team of their caliber would be a top contender in the AFC.  This just happened to be a strong year for the AFC.

And they came at us with everything they had.  They had a great game plan and executed very well.

The D was in sort of a classic "bend but don't break" mode.  I can't say I love that, but it worked - they made that huge goal-line stand, and then came up big at the end.  When they needed to make the plays, they did.

2 hours ago, SlimShady'sSpaceForce said:

the only complaint I have was the huge sack.  Was it because he was “Sugar High” Josh and should have just given himself up. 

Honestly I don't see how people can even complain about this.  Half of Allens big plays happen on similar situations (made up % of course.)  He evades that far more often than not.  It's who Josh is and part of the reason he is so good.  Can't complain when bad happens one time in a game and good happens 10 other times.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, whatdrought said:

You’re doubling down on being wrong. Nowhere did I say that losing would have been 100% on the refs, but this is pretty simple... I’ll use clear language since you struggle with comprehension: 

When you make the game winning play, and the refs steal it from you illegally, a subsequent defeat is at least partially the fault of the refs.

This is not a hot take unless you describe hot take as “something all logically thinking adults can agree on.”

Peace out bean sprout. 

I’m glad that you have to resort to insults when your point has flaws. They made a bad call (pretty sure that’s not illegal, but okay) it happens-the blame would have been on the Bills, not the refs, if they had lost. You are trying to pin everything on one play, which is an asinine thing to do in a game that had over 100. Was it an important play, yes, but go ahead and not place blame (or credit to the Colts) if the Bills had lost. But you’re cool, just keep throwing insults if that makes you feel like a “logical adult”

I’m sure you’ll have a great, witty remark to this that makes you feel even better about yourself because you have another chance to throw insults and shade...enjoy the victory, both with your outstanding argument and the Bills win

6 minutes ago, Scott7975 said:

Honestly I don't see how people can even complain about this.  Half of Allens big plays happen on similar situations (made up % of course.)  He evades that far more often than not.  It's who Josh is and part of the reason he is so good.  Can't complain when bad happens one time in a game and good happens 10 other times.

Great point. If we want Josh to "take the sack" in that situation, we lose about a dozen or so other great plays where he DID escape over the course of the season.

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Straight Hucklebuck said:

Sorry, this same Colts team played a 1-15 Jags team 8 days ago with Mike Glennon atQB and no James Robinson to a 21-14 lead for the majority of the 2nd half of a game that they had to win to get into the Playoffs.

We can talk them up, but they were an average Playoff team.

And nobody is saying every game is going to be a cakewalk, that’s you embellishing, but we saw with the 2017 Jags or the 2019 49ers, you better win when you have the chance and this team is the best team in 20-years for the Bills.

So maximizing should be the goal. Our Coaches no doubt are working their tails off, but that doesn’t mean the fans have to their brains off and “just be happy”. 

We struggled against the Jets.  Are we an average playoff team too?

• Haha (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Ya Digg? said:

I’m glad that you have to resort to insults when your point has flaws. They made a bad call (pretty sure that’s not illegal, but okay) it happens-the blame would have been on the Bills, not the refs, if they had lost. You are trying to pin everything on one play, which is an asinine thing to do in a game that had over 100. Was it an important play, yes, but go ahead and not place blame (or credit to the Colts) if the Bills had lost. But you’re cool, just keep throwing insults if that makes you feel like a “logical adult”

I’m sure you’ll have a great, witty remark to this that makes you feel even better about yourself because you have another chance to throw insults and shade...enjoy the victory, both with your outstanding argument and the Bills win

Several things: 

1- I thought you were done? 

2- my comments were insults to your arguments, not you. 

3- where have I said a single thing about it being the full fault of the refs?

4- Illegal in the context of the game. They clearly ignored the rules and broke the “law” of the game. 

5- a bad call that determines that the game is not over and won by one team, but will continue and allow the other team a chance to win by definition affects the outcome of the game. If they call the fumble correctly, Josh kneels one time and the game is over. Done. They blew it and if we had lost they would have shared the blame of our loss. 

6- as another poster pointed out. The refs weren’t the only reason the saints lost in the championship game 2 years ago, but when a play that will change the outcome of the game gets incorrectly called - The refs shoulder blame for changing the outcome of the game. 

wrongly disappointed? I don't have my doubts there were/are some that were disappointed in the game, but I mean, are they really?

postseason should never be prejudged on how a team should play based on record or how they did during the regular season.

post season is another beast, a season of its own and those who enter, enter with the same 0-0 record and same chance to advance.

win, see next week. lose, prepare for the long off season.

disappointed?

25 years, a good share of a younger fans life and about half of the years I have been a fan since they last won a post season game. that's a long time.

no, can't be disappointed in that.

they beat a very well coached team that played very good in all three phases. the bills made the better plays and they went on to play another game, advancing to the divisional round.

dynasties are made in the post season. 

this team may not be seen as one yet, but they sure have been showing they darn well could be on the way to becoming one?

disappointed?

insert gif here _____

Edited by A Firm Tree Does Not Fear

What made the Colts so dangerous was that they combined an offense that matched up well with our D with a D that could make us work for points.  Among the rest of the AFC crowd I don't see anything that approaches this.

Pitt has a good D but their O isn't going to match Indy's

Baltimore, Cleveland & TN all have D's that our O can exploit. 

And KC would never stoop to letting the clock run down to minus one second on every play.  It's not in their DNA.  If we play them, the Chiefs wills say "so you want a track meet, we'll be happy to give you a track meet - ready, set, GO".

Indy truly was our most frustrating opponent on the AFC side.